Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jim culloty retires

• 20-07-2005 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

not suprised really as he has recently had some very heavy summer falls (reminds me of stormin norman's retirement).

he has recently become a dad as well so i wish him well in his "retirement"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Wish him all the best for the future anyway. Who's goin to ride best mate now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It will be interesting who gets the ride on Best Mate, from what I have read they will be looking for somebody to commit to riding him for the season. That rules out McCoy, Walsh, Murphy, Johnson and Thornton as they have commitments to their yards, with Barry Geraghty commited to Kicking King it doesn't leave too many options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

masterK wrote:
    from what I have read they will be looking for somebody to commit to riding him for the season.

Which, in truth, will be only twice - maybe three times - during the entire season if past experience is anything to go by. I'm sorry, but it irks me the way this horse is campaigned annually by connections ............ mollycoddled and wrapped in cotton wool. Even going so far as to have a race specially constructed and with conditions specially framed to suit the horse as happened at Exeter last year.

The rumour mill ( which more often than not gets it wrong) is saying that Sam Thomas is being seriously considered for the job.

Anyway, best of luck to Jim for the future ............... he's a genuinely nice guy and a true gent. One of the most popular jocks in the weighing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

not suprised really as he has recently had some very heavy summer falls (reminds me of stormin norman's retirement).

he has recently become a dad as well so i wish him well in his "retirement"

You've hit the nail on the head. I've two close friends who are very close to Jim and they've informed me that his retirement is due to his recent falls, the fact that he has a kid now, detori breaking his collar bone and that awful incident which took a young jockey's life. His kid is his number one priority now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

masterK wrote:
    It will be interesting who gets the ride on Best Mate

I dont think it matters who gets the ride as Best Mate is no good anymore. The writing was on the wall with his narrow success over Seebald in November. But his defeat to BEEF OR SALMON at christmas confirmed to me he is no longer great(excuses nothing). He will be another See More Business or Dorans Pride if he keeps in racing. He owes nobody anything and has been a fabulous chaser but im sure his best days are over.
    Culloty retiring is another indication that makes me believe that Best Mate is no longer a great horse. Im sure if Culloty thought he had a serious chance of another gold cup in him he would have stayed on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement