Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA World Rankings

• 20-07-2005 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

This is the official list of FIFA Rankings for July 2005, we are static in 15th :(

Current Rankings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MooShop wrote:
    This is the official list of FIFA Rankings for July 2005, we are static in 15th :(

Current Rankings

Wouldnt even look at it.....US and Mexico ahead of us? Czech Rep way up there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    Top 6 in the world includes US, Mexico, Czech Republic and Holland :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

yeah was a bit surprised that the US are ahead of us but they did get to the quarter finals of the last World Cup and whats the deal with Iran level on points with us??

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

MooShop wrote:
    yeah was a bit surprised that the US are ahead of us but they did get to the quarter finals of the last World Cup and whats the deal with Iran level on points with us??

Usual stuff in the rankings, Iran get to play a lot of competitive games (way more than us) and are one of the strongest teams in their area, so usually trounce the opposition, Ali Daei had over 100 international goals for them, scored 4 or 5 in several games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The reason why US and mexico are so high up is theyve got the most piss easy group every four years. The only time they lose a competitive match is against each other outside the world cup and other competitions. Cant argue with our placement though, we can barely beat the whipping boys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Absolute Crock....... They are far from accurate because the comparrison between confederations is completely wrong (I.E. Mexico, Usa, Japan, Iran ahead of the likes of Ireland, Sweden, Croatia and Romania is way back.) Switzerland and serbia/montenegro are in the mid and late 40's where as Korea and Uruguay as well as the above mentioned are all top 20 matierial??

African and Mid-range European teams lose out the most, where as American and Asian team benefit the most, it also seems (although it shouldn't) that the more games you play the better the score as the more recent the result the more points you get!

My top 10: (for de laf!)
    1/ Brazil 2/ Argentina 3/ England 4/ Portugal 5/ Germany 6/ Spain 7/ Italy 8/ Turkey 9/ France 10/ Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Big Nelly wrote:

Ironically not only would I argue that those three should be ahead of us but also would I argue that they are suitably placed whereas our position actually flatters us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Exactly, the only reason we're always so high is because friendlies count, which they most definately shouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FIFA should use confedertion rankings and then use a weighting system based on strength of the respective federations to arrive at a world list.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Pigman II wrote:
    Ironically not only would I argue that those three should be ahead of us but also would I argue that they are suitably placed whereas our position actually flatters us.

2002: Ireland 2 USA 1 (which faltterd them if you remember the match)
    2004: Ireland 2 Czech Republic 1
    2004: Ireland 0 Brazil 0
    2004: Holland 0 Ireland 1
    2004: France 0 Ireland 0 (and we were robbed)

I don't think it flatters us, aswell as our desperatly unlucky world cup, we were a peno shoot out away from a very winable Quater final against South Korea, and a possible semi final against a German side we pinned in their box for 80 minutes early in the month, and then a possible final against Brazil who we played two years later (full strength Brazil btw) and drew 0 - 0. ;)

It was possible! I think this Irish side is better than we're given credit for, we've just had some bad luck and bad tactics on occasion. After all...our starting eleven all play in (supposedly) the best leauge in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

mike65 wrote:
    FIFA should use confedertion rankings and then use a weighting system based on strength of the respective federations to arrive at a world list.

Mike.

yeah a weighting system like they use to calculate the co-efficients for the champions league, that would be fairer and more accurate, though i still think we would be fairly high cos Europe would be weighted higher than say Asia or the US

DubGuy wrote:
    2002: Ireland 2 USA 1 (which faltterd them if you remember the match)
    2004: Ireland 2 Czech Republic 1
    2004: Ireland 0 Brazil 0
    2004: Holland 0 Ireland 1
    2004: France 0 Ireland 0 (and we were robbed)

All friendlies bar one. And in the France fixture even 'lowly' Israel and Switzerland went there and got the exact same result so it should be put in context.
    I don't think it flatters us, aswell as our desperatly unlucky world cup, we were a peno shoot out away from a very winable Quater final against South Korea, and a possible semi final against a German side we pinned in their box for 80 minutes early in the month, and then a possible final against Brazil who we played two years later (full strength Brazil btw) and drew 0 - 0. ;)
    Ah the old chestnut! If only we'd won that Eight-final we'd have been playing in the WC final .... and if my uncle wore a dress he'd be my aunt.
    It was possible! I think this Irish side is better than we're given credit for, we've just had some bad luck and bad tactics on occasion. After all...our starting eleven all play in (supposedly) the best leauge in the world.

Explain to me how a team who has qualified for 1 tournament in 11 years, hasn't won a competitive game against rated side in 4 years yet still sits 15th in the world isn't getting the credit they deserve? As things stand we should feel like the guy who handed over a tenner at the bar and got change for a twenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The last time Ireland won an away competitive match against any kind of decent opposition?

Scotland in 1987 at Hampden Park, Euro 88 qualifiers.

Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Pigman II wrote:
    and if my aunt wore a dress she'd be my uncle.

does your uncle usually were dresses??!? :D

Only on sundays :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

People comlaining about Mexicos ranking?

Am I the only one that watched the confederations cup? They topped their group which included the World (and South American) champions, the European champions, and one of the best teams in Asia, it took Argentina a penalty shoot out to knock them out, and then Germany beat them 4-3 in a mad game. Seems reasonable enough to me.

As regards the Czechs and Holland. Both reached the EC semis if Im not mistaken, and both are doing incredibly well in the WCQs. They are both clear (5 points) in what is definitely the hardest group in the Qs having only dropped 5 points between them.

Advertisement