Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PW/SW Advice

• 20-07-2005 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Having desperate problems with close approach play , can you tell me what the best PW or SW club on the market is or a modest market leader preferably with an oversize cavity back or something similar or better for greater forgiveness on off-centre hits.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

try the momentus its always on the golf channel 423

try the momentus its always on the golf channel 423

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Ping are meant to be good for wedges.

My cousin has Ping clubs and thinks his wedges are really good for close and far approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

vokeys are good. They have a lovely feel and you get insane spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Cheers guys , yeah I though the Ping would be good , interested in the momentus so the tv ad , however I always thing these things advertised on tv ads are not always to be trusted especially with some of those bogus oversized clubs , however I look in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Ping aren't great for wedges.

If you want wedges go for vokey (I have 3 myself) or cleveland.

That is my opinion.

If the clubs on tv are so good why dont the pros use them??

Yeah I'll have a look at Vokey , yeah good point re the momentus however hamiliton does endorse them so dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

vokey, cleveland are best, rac's are very similar with a little more fogiveness on off centre hits
    great wedge design hasnt realy changed in 40 years (excluding the rac's), vokey have one out almost exact same as one they had in 60s, so if your having desperate probs with aproach play youd prob get more benifit from a lesson in wedges than a new vokey. probably not what you want to hear, sorry :(

if your not into lessons and having loads of trouble try and get a dvd or book on wedges by dave pelz (he teaches phil mickleson the short game) he has what he calls a 3x4 system, you learn 3 different length swings (1/4, 1/2, 3/4) and use them with 4 wedges (pw, gap, sand, lob) and you use it to dial in 12 different distances between 20 and 100 yards.

so for example, if your 3/4 lob wont reach you use your 1/4 sand.

its too simple, definetly the easiest way of ruling out realy bad approach shots.

Trampas wrote:
    Ping aren't great for wedges.

If you want wedges go for vokey (I have 3 myself) or cleveland.

That is my opinion.

If the clubs on tv are so good why dont the pros use them??

tHE PROS ARENT LOOKIN FOR WAT THIS DUDE IS LOOKIN FOR THATS WHY THEY DONT PLAY THEM. THIS FELLA WAS LOOKIN FOR SOMETHING FORGIVIN AND WHICH WOULD IMPROVE HIS GAME...
    PROS AREN'T LOOKIN FOR FORGIVIN CLUBS... DEF TRY THE MOMENTUS ONE OF MY MATES GOT IT WHO HAD DESPERATE SHORT GAME PROBLEMS HE USED THE MOMENTUS UNTIL HE WAS CONFIDENT ENOUGH IN HIS SHORT GAME THEN MOVED ONTO SOME OF THE BETTER VOKEY WEDGES...

Thanks okden , yeah i thought that as its a really weakness especially around the 90 yard mark , trying to short up and come in with irons instead . Yeah I ll have a look in Eason today . I was just looking for a quick fix which is stupid so ill get the book and maybe a lesson.

• Advertisement

yeah cheers cddc3 , your right it all about confidence really and thinking positive , might see can I pick up a second hand momentus just to use in the back garden or something to see can I build up the confidence.

most tv clubs are aimed at the mid handicapper. Thing such as the bi ezee wood.irons. You wont find a pro hitting them cause you get no spin but for old players or beginners they are good.

The Momentus wedge is an excellent distance wedge. But its rather heavy shaft can be rather offputting when judging distance and spin control. Sometimes you get too much or too litle and cause it is heavier its hard to hit short shots with it. Though the swing trainer is class.

Vokeys, clevlands and the racs.

i think its called the short game bible, hes a bit of a mad scientist so it mightnt be a real page turner
    ive seen him on tv, from what i can remember his basics are
    1) stand square to target
    2) ball catre of ankles
    3) clubhead never goes under or over shoulder-to-ball line (shoulder plane)
    4) always swing about 1/4 of a swing more on the follow thru
    1/2back=3/4thru, 3/4 back=fullfinish

so its all done with a turn, no hitting with hands = no wedge yips :)

Well dno where you heard that from but if its the same short gmae im thinking off.

If your maybe outside of 40 yards then yeah keep your legs square. If your inside 40 yards having a chip or whatever its best to have your stance open to the target. This encourages your body to swing through generating clubhead speed with spin and adding some extra loft.

Ball in the back of your stance. this helps keep the ball low and wil give you some check when caught correctly.

this is pelzs wedge system,
    actualy i think its stand square, ball centre of ankles, and .......if you have trouble turning thru the shot you flare your left foot out, acording to him it gives the illusion of standing open with ball back in stance but the ball is still centre of ankles and from the ankles up your still square to target, i did say he was a bit mad. :p

in his ideal world everyone learns 3 swings from this setup and uses it with 4 wedges. then when you know your 12 distances and can produce them on call, you can then start to play around with ball position or opening up your body or clubface for hitting inbetween distances.

its not a bad system for a beginer, then again if he teaches phil mickleson the short game its not a bad system for anyone i guess.

oh yeah, he wants everyone to have a lob wedge, which should help for inside 40 yards.

Lob wedges are handy but only if you know where they are used. You only use a wedge if you want to fly a bal high over an obstacle, such as a mound or a bunker etc. You dont use a lob wedge if you are on a flat run into the green. Its simple bun n run in.

yeah i agree, i was talkin about pelz pitching, ....not chiping, he actualy got phil to put from off the green when he used to always go for the flop shot.
    helped him get a green jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

It's all about technique - get yourself a lesson - cost approx €30 - better than changing clubs.

Advertisement