Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stop shocking me!

Options
  • 06-07-2001 2:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Some people store more static electricity than others. My sister is a classic example, for some odd reason she can't use a hairdryer without the lead getting all coiled up.

It's also been used as an explanation for spontaneous human combustion, at least in combination with heavy drinking and smoking. You should tell your family and friends that if they ever come home to one smoking foot, the static electricity is to blame.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wear less runners and more leather soled shoes smile.gif
    i get static a lot when i close the car door as well. but it only seems to be a specific part of the door. if i close it from the top i dont get zapped!
    its really annoying when youre carrying loads of books or something and drop them in the rain frown.gif
    i dont get it from anything else thou.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

At work they showed us a video on the dangers of static electrity. I kid you not. It seems that static can build up to 'zap' delicate electronic equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

thats why they have anti-static bags and warnings inside the first two pages of every single hardware manual sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

I had that when I worked in supervalu, unwrapping those 8 packs of 7-up and then touching the combi, jaysus Id get thrown back 50 ft in front of everyone.

More recently its happened whenever I wear rubber-soled shoes (rubber being an insulator so the charge cant leave from your feet), closing the car door is a comedy show for everyone but yourself. New nikes do it aswell, so beware smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

You know the way static builds up on clothes in the tumble dryer and on the doors of cars after a long journey and the like? Most people would seem to get small static shocks from these things.
    Well I can only close the car door by pressing against the window. anywhere on the metal and I get a fairly good shock. heavier than most people get. (i know what a heavy shock is - got sent flying back two yards by electric fence once when the metal trough full of water I was carrying touched of it - doh -darwin award smile.gif ).
    I seem to get shocks of a lot of things. I get shocked by metal chairs when I pull them in to the desk, of stair railings, of door handles. I can even at times feel the a slight electrical "buzz" from my keyboard.
    Do other people get shocked as much as this?
    Why do I get shocked so much? Am I a better conducter of tricity? Was i bad to gerbils in a previous life? I'm very bored as u might of guessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Plastic soled shoes will also do it - in particular on some carpets (probably nylon one and the like).

There is a story of a cleaning lady frying £25,000 worth of computers with her £10 runners.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Advertisement