Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking out my options......

Options
  • 20-07-2005 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just moved to the UK and am looking into getting a VoIP setup running over my broadband - (8mb down but only 400kb up).

Not sure whether to go with an Irish setup (and get either an 090 or 076 number) so those at home can call me cheaply or look for a UK setup.

My problem is there will be more calls going from the UK to Spain than there will be to/from Ireland.

While looking around I stumbled upon this:

http://www.phonegnome.com/

anyone know anything about it, or what might be a good option in my position?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

PS I have been reading the other posts( I swear), and some are quite interesting :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I suppose look at your options

If you go with the likes of blueface you'd get
    - 090 irish geographic number which would be handy for friends in Eire to call
    - 076 Irish VoIP # which would be just as handy as the above
    - 056 UK VoIP # that can be called for the price of a local call anywhere in the UK

You'r basically covered from both sides with all those numbers....it really depends on how important it is to you for people to call you from Ireland though.

I suppose another way to go is check the costs per min to call Spain comparing it to both UK & Irish VoIP providers.. as for phonegnome I can't say I've even heard of them but I've heard of people using http://www.sipgate.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

harney wrote:
    Not sure whether to go with an Irish setup (and get either an 090 or 076 number) so those at home can call me cheaply or look for a UK setup.

My problem is there will be more calls going from the UK to Spain than there will be to/from Ireland.
    That's not a problem at all. Your location is irrelevant* in terms of your VoIP account - you logon to your account using your internet connection - it doesn't matter where you or your VoIP server are located.

The blueface option would certainly match your requirements. They've just introduced a couple of new plans that may be of interest to you.
    - Spain is included in Freedom minutes at a rate of €0.02
    - you will have an Irish geographic number for ROI orignated calls
    - you will also have a UK 056- (VoIP) number that you can use for UK originated calls

But which VoIP provider is best for you is determined by your usage pattern and priorities.
    Some of the UK VoIP providers (like www.vonage.co.uk/) may (or may not) offer better deals for your outbound UK, ROI and Spain calls - but may not offer any option for calls originating from ROI (so your relatives will pay for calls to the UK) - but then they could use telestunt to phone you cheaply from Ireland - so that you could be free to choose a cheaper alternative for your Spanish calls.

hth,
    causal

*note the restrictions in handing out geographic and 076 numbers for non-residents
    *latency may become an issue - but iirc others have reported dialing into US accounts the latency was acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I have just got one of the 056 (UK VoIP) numbers from blueface so that friends and relations can call me cheaper. Now other countries which I have friends in.....................
    At least the additional number is free unlike what some american companies do, charging $10 a month more for each additional forign number.

I also asked Aaron about the 076 numbers. He expects them to go live next week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Hi lads

Just poping back to say thank you for your help.

Starting off with the €9.99 package and an Irish geo number to see how things go.

I am using bluetooth at the moment to make calls, and now need to pick apart the Blueface/hardware thread.

There is an option for a Spanish number, but it is another €10 (without extra credit I assume) pre month so I will be avoiding it for the time being.

One other question that arose - is there a way for my number (the Irish geo one) to be displayed on someones caller ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

harney wrote:
    One other question that arose - is there a way for my number (the Irish geo one) to be displayed on someones caller ID?
    Yep, blueface support CLIP (Calling Line Identification Presentation) so your number should be displayed (assuming it's supported by the receiving party etc.) when you make calls through your blueface number.

causal

• Advertisement
Advertisement