Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS Text Messages From Email

Options
  • 20-07-2005 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I posted a similar thread before I went on hols but cant seem to find it now.

I want to know how to send SMS text messages to mobiles from email accounts. Is it possible even?

What is the limit and how do I do it?

Are there any other ways to send many free texts. I know that Vodafone allows 300 per month.

Thanks for answering any of my many questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

You could get yourself hooked up with a SMS gateway (of which there are many). One i use at the moment is clickatell.

A simple solution would be to create an email address that pipes all email to a script. Send your txt via email with the recipient's number in the subject line.

Your script will parse all this out and then make a http request to the gateway + send your message. Pretty simple but im sure there are better ways for you.

Messages cost 4c per whack until you purchase over 10k of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Thanks for that.

I just thought there was some way of sending loads of free text messages.

4p is cheap though - is that sterling or do you mean 4 cent?

4 euro cent that is.

There are plenty of perl scripts about to hook into 02 and vodafone. the http API at clickatell lets you mess with sender options, when the SMS is sent amoung other things. Very flexible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

damalo wrote:
    You could get yourself hooked up with a SMS gateway (of which there are many). One i use at the moment is clickatell.

A simple solution would be to create an email address that pipes all email to a script. Send your txt via email with the recipient's number in the subject line.

Your script will parse all this out and then make a http request to the gateway + send your message. Pretty simple but im sure there are better ways for you.

Messages cost 4c per whack until you purchase over 10k of them
    Hi this is interesting. Do you pay for a certain number in advance or do you give them your credit card details and pay as you send texts?

You buy them in 'bulk' - sign up with an account. Add the API access to your account and then you go ahead and buy bundles. Minimum is 200 (8 euro) and it goes on from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

That sounds good, thanks.

I was wondering are there any reliable free services that alloes say up to 3000 texts per month? - Worth a shot but I am being very optomistic.

Also is there a way of sending text messages to others at reverse charge - as low as 4 cent reverse charge .

Thanks.

Not at that low a charge - you are getting in the region of 2 way billing and shortcodes and stuff. It can be pretty complicated.

Up to 3000 free txts - not that i know of...and unlikely ;)

Advertisement