Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Travel

• 20-07-2001 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

It is illegal in some countries to research in time travel. If it was up 2 u, wud u or wud u not, abolish research in time travel. It cud b used 2 kill millions BUT is it possible 2 change time? There r so many theories on the subject of time travel. It may even be happening as we speak!!! Some ppl say it is da cause of spontaneous human combustion. What do u think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Well firstly I think that a more articulate approach to starting a thread would have been nice.

I think that its worth researching and is being reasearched. People like Steven
    Hawkings (best known person in the field) are always theorising and researching the field of understanding time anyway. Its always nice to understand how the universe works for a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Time Travel R&D should be banned completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Skorzeny

The thing about time travel is that it is completly unpredictable (therefore pointless).

If for example some1(at time A) goes back in time to change an event(at time B), and succeeds.So the event will never have occured in the history of tim A, then he will never need to go back in to change the event, so it will happen ,so he goes back in time to change it .......

It gets a bit rediculous. But it comes down to this- you can travel back in time but never return to the "present" you left.

On the banning issue no1 would know if any1 succeeded, so why ban R&D?

Would you believe some1 if they told u they were from the future? rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Perhaps someone could go back and try and find your brain from wherever you let it. What countries is it legal to research time travel in? I'm working on something big.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MrRR

I think that it IS possible to look back in time but to go there mmm!!!.

Since Light travels at 186,000 miles a sec, and the nearest star, alpha centauri is 4.5 light years away,
    (distance light travels at the above rate times 4.5 years)

Then if you were at that point, where alpha is, then you would SEE what went on, back 4.5 years ago, through a really powerful Telescope, may I add.

Now if we could travel faster than that, for by everything being bent, we could overtake that light coming at you, going the other way, and seeing every moment of what you did, and others, for the past 4 years.

If you arrived on earth just as the light was leaving, you'd be there in real time, but from your starting position, you would effectively be back in time by 4.5 years even though your there in your OWN real time.

But because your moving so fast, and Light reflected from the people and the enviroment, which is all you'll see, the people of that time would only feel a wind and would NOT see you.

You would NOT be able to touch anything because its only a 'light' existance you would be in and not reality, even though there is a real reality there your mind would be confused and your site bent that you would just spend your time bumping into everything, clashing with your own time there and the local time.
    There may even be a building in place where you are and that would be a problem

Maybe the breeze's and draught's we feel are really future people doing just that.

Tell you this though if my space was doris day's space at the same time I would'nt complain, hahaha, joke!.

Rab,
    RRForums
    http://www.xsorbit.com/users/RRForums/index.cgi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MrRR

I posted the above 5 mins ago and it didnt show?, strange?.

I've edited this to say it now shows? sorry.

Confused Rab

[This message has been edited by MrRR (edited 22-07-2001).]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As Skorzeny says, time travel may not be an option because of that paradox. But there might be an alternative.
    Multiverses are based on the theory that every time a choice is made at the quantum level, the universe splits in two to accommodate the choice.
    The New Scientist of the 14/07/01 is devoted to a paper which is going to prove Multiverses exists and the following is a digest of the article.
    It is based on a 1950s theory by Princeton University graduate Hugh Everett to explain why quantum mechanics work, it's basic premise being the probability of the position of atoms can be explained by the atom existing in separate universes.
    So on a macro level, there would a world where the Aztecs conquered Europe, Hitler won WWII & Hobbes' post count was < 1000. (ie Sliders.)
    In theory, one could go into the past of these branches and alter their history to your hearts content, for this will create new branches with your own time line being un-effected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    Perhaps someone could go back and try and find your brain from wherever you let it. What countries is it legal to research time travel in? I'm working on something big.....</font>

Actually it was illegal in 20 different countries, however someone went back in time and changed it. smile.gif

Seriously though time travel is a waste of time. There are different possibles...

1) Fixed time line.
    In other words absolutly nothing you can do will change the timeline, in fact your actions are already pre-destined so time travel becomes pointless. This stops paradoxes.

2) Alternate timelines.
    Again a waste except for the time traveller as thier point of view is the only one that changes. In this instance you can go back and kill your great grandfather because you will be in a different timeline. Timelines like this go in both directions, so going back in time will not be the same before the divergence.

3) Time travel is impossible.

So the question is not that "Is time travel possible" but instead "What is the point of time travel?"

In the case of option 1 it would only to learn more about the past/future, in the second case just travelling will automatically move you to an alternate timeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

AS a unbeliever in a predestination . I belive that the universe's 4 dimensions a constantly changing and that the new timelines cause a new dimension of space and time .Time travel is totally possible but if it would change the future is totally unpredictable (Einstein)
    Also in response to the above comment about traveling to Alfa Centauri at the speed of light 1)travelling at the speed of light is impossible as time would stand still and you could go out of faze 2)it would only take 4.5 yeas in the view of a stationary observer as time slows down as you travel faster traveling at near the speed of light to AC wouldn't take long for the travellers.

"I can't speak for command, but I'm gonna clean the place out" - Jc Denton, Deus EX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GIME

While the basic idea of time travel is founded on the existence of the 4th dimension of time, the theory of superstrings claims that there could be 10 dimensions. While we exist in a 3 dimensional world, the world exists in a multi-spatial dimensional manifold.Crossing over to another 3 dimensional surface would mean crossing over into a new universe.The extra dimensions in this theory are those that link all the 3 dimensional surfaces together.While our current experience of time is one dimensional and linear, the super string theory proposes that we could move into other lines of time by moving through the second temporal dimension. The vibrating strings in this theory are what make up the resonance of the different particles which we can see in our everyday lives.The strings, 100 billion times smaller than a proton, can vibrate only in space-time of ten dimensions.Makes sense , doesnt it?

I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA

• Advertisement
Advertisement