Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organising folders on a small network

Options
  • 20-07-2005 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,

Ive been asked to do a job for a friend. They have 4 computers networked. Their folders and files are everywhere.

Any advise on how I could go about organising them and helping them keep themselves organised? or do I just have to slog thru it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

well for a start do you want to find all the duplicate files that they have on the network and delete all the unnecessary ones? If so you can get software to find them system mechanic springs to mind for this job. as the rest id say you will have to slog your way through it unless someone knows any better!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A simple fileserver would be ideal. Everyone can save their work to folders on the fileserver, which, ideally, would be backed up to tape or something every night. Plus all files would be available regardless of whether X or Y's PC is turned on, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Designate one as a server and share a folder.

map a drive to it from all PC's including itself as
    net use F: \\PC\share

setup a folder for each person / each project in the folder.
    If it's a workgroup then synchronising passwords and usernames is a pain.

don't forget a backup solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭junglequestions

thanks for all your suggestions.
    im not going down the path of installing a fileserver or backuo solution.... its too much hassle for me in the long run plus they probably wont be willing to pay the correct amount for it.. does anybody else find how tight some businesses are when it comes to investing in IT?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in the early 90's accountants and solicitors used to be the worst we dealt with. One shower wanted a vat invoice for a single 10p photocopy. Another did up a legal document with like 7 pages to make sure they were getting a computer that was IBM compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭junglequestions

i must start writing myself up some contracts for people to sign for any extra maintenance or calls outside the work I do for them.
    I do some web development but people then think they can call on you any time of the day to sort out their hardware problems. you feel embarrassed refusing but annoyed because I found myself spending up to an hour on the phone and not getting a penny for it!
    any suggestions on where I could start on suggest aggreements/ contracts

Advertisement