Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime News July 2005 - A Bit Late

Options
  • 20-07-2005 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I know this is a bit late, but i thought i would post it just incase you missed anything new this month, and i - if im allowed will be bringing you this news every 1-2 months?? Sorry to mods if this is not allowed by the charter!

New Anime Release

- Baki The Grappler

baki_box.jpg

FUNimation is unleashing the greatest fighter the world has ever seen, Baki the Grappler! This bone-crushing anime series thrusts you into the ring with an exciting storyline, explosive action and fierce fighting sequences that redefine strength and toughness. Go beyond the battles with Baki The Grappler: Warrior Reborn, an incredible DVD with four episodes of the series plus thrilling bonus features, including: director/actor commentary, episode summaries, art stills and character profiles.

Warrior Reborn is hitting stores July 14th. And before you enter the ring, train for the experience now with trailers, interviews, a lexicon of fighting styles and more at http://www.bakithegrappler.com

- Baki The Grappler Wallpaper

thumb1.jpg

800x600 1024x768

- - -

New Movies/DVD

- Lupin The Third - New Movie

It’s business as usual, as Lupin and Jigen steal a precious diamond during the height of Carnivale. Knowing the luck of our favorite gentleman thief, we know things can’t run smoothly for long.

Lupin encounters a bizarre cult called the Nostradamus Sect. The sect has successfully predicted the outcome of world events by consulting the ancient writings of their sacred book. They predict that the very plane Lupin is using for his escape will be hijacked. And so far, they’ve never been wrong.

All your favorite characters are along for the ride as Lupin takes care of business as only he can. Lupin the Third Farewell to Nostradamus streets on July 8. The mini-site for Lupin the Third - Farwell to Nostradamus goes live on July 3 and will include character bios photos and other information about the release.

View more information here: http://www.lupinthethird.com
    Watch the trailer here: Trailer

- Yu Yu Hakusho

The main bouts of the Demon World tournament get underway. Both Kurama and Hiei have their hands full and all the fighters have their eyes on one warrior as the prize, Yusuke Urameshi.

Yusuke has been fighting most of his life. At first he found himself at odds with his teachers and classmates. Then he was named Spirit Detective, a job that produced showdowns with the infamous Toguro Brothers and a former Spirit Detective, Shinobu Sensui.

Does Yusuke have what it takes to defeat the most powerful demons in Spirit World? Find out on July 2, as the second to last DVD Dreams of Power.

- - -

Voice Actor Interview

Funimation got to sit down with Robert McCollum the voice of Baki The Grappler and have an interview Just read what he has to say below:

How did you get into voice acting with FUNimation?
    I am an actor and improv comedian in Dallas. For a long time I have been friends with Mike McFarland, who is in the infamous Dallas improv troupe, Section 8. When Mike started directing up at Funimation, he kept saying that I should come up and give it a try. After my first session with director Chris Bevins, I was hooked.

How does it feel to create the voice of a character like Baki?
    The best part of creating any character is when you finally get to see it together with everyone else from the episode. Recording on your own in the booth, you just do what you and the director feel will work, but it isn’t until months later when you see a final mix that you get to find out if you pulled it off.

What motivated you to try out for the part of Baki?
    I was told that Jeremy Inman would be directing the early episodes. Though we had never met, I had had a secret man-crush on Jeremy since my early teens.

How long did you practice prior to your audition at FUNimation?
    I try not to practice at all. The more you practice, the more you are THINKING about what you should sound like, instead of trying to think about what the character is supposed to be feeling and experiencing at that moment.

How do you prepare before a session? Do you prepare?
    As much sleep as possible, (not easy with two young kids) and a healthy dose of decongestants to battle the ragweed allergies.

After voicing the part, do you have to “wind down?” How does voicing Baki make you feel?
    You can get pretty amped up, especially after a long session of fight reactions. But you also can physically tense up. So once I get over the adrenaline rush and all my muscles start screaming at me, I am usually totally exhausted. I just hope I’m not driving when that happens.

Ranking Baki the Grappler among the other voice projects you have worked on, where would you say it stands on a scale of 1 to 10? Why?
    Well, of course Baki is my favorite because I got the LEAD! Daddy gotta pay the bills! I also have really enjoyed Baki because we have seen the character change quite a bit over the course of the first few seasons. It hasn’t been just one note. My second favorite project would have to be Yu Yu Hakusho. I got to play the bad guy of season three, Sensui. I loved that character too.

Other than Baki, who is your favorite character in Baki the Grappler?
    I really enjoy the work that Troy Baker does as Kato. Very Keanu.

Do you identify with Baki at all?
    Yes. Yes I do.

What do you like best about voice acting?
    NO PANTS REQUIRED!

What steps do you recommend aspiring voice actors take in their development to prepare for a career in this industry? What training do you have?
    One thing that people don’t realize about voice acting is that the better ACTOR you are, the better voice actor you will be. I have known some people with amazing voices and good vocal range who just can’t communicate a scene. So the best advice I have for aspiring voice actors is take ACTING classes.

Are you a fan of martial arts, wrestling or fighting?
    I am a fan of martial arts FILMS. Does that count?

What’s your favorite fighting style?
    The unique combination of Karate, Judo and Kenpo that created the brutal and uncompromising style of one Sadao Maeda, also known as Sonny Chiba.

Is there anyone on the cast that you get along particularly well with?
    There are other people in the cast?

So far, what has been your favorite Baki the Grappler episode to act?
    Episode 16 was one of my favorites, just because it was really emotional and I thought Jeremy put it all together really well. And then Episode 10 when Baki parachutes onto an island to take on a team of Mercenaries. It was just cool.

What was the funniest or craziest thing that happened while you were working on Baki the Grappler?
    During the week, even when I wasn’t recording... I could feel myself getting more awesome.

What other voices have you done?
    Tons of small parts, but the major ones include Sensui on Yu Yu Hakusho, Wataya on Spiral, teen Goten on DBGT, and of course Maloja on DBZ10. (“Wao Ka-La-Ma-Ta-Ba-Wa! Zim-Ba-La-Ma-Ta-Za!!!”)

What is your dream part to play?
    Any part that records only in the DALLAS studio of Funimation!

Did you watch the Japanese version of Baki the Grappler before you started voicing the part?
    Yes, some of them.

Have you gone to anime conventions? Are there any cons you are interested in attending? Do you give autographs?
    I have not yet gotten to go to any conventions, but if Baki is successful, who knows?

Do you have any other thoughts that you’d like to share with your fans?
    May you each find your own awesome tree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Galway22

- - -

DragonBall Z Trading Card Game

dbz_tcg.jpg

This brand new engine provides explosive fun with a combination of DBZ and GT. You can play as your favorite characters from the Dragon Ball Z anime episodes in the battle for Earth! Power up as Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and the other Z Warriors andfight your opponents by playing cards that feature the same signature moves from the Dragon Ball Z show - flying knee strikes, energy blasts and the high-powered moves that only Super Saiyans can do!

Dragon Ball Z Trading Card Game Releases July 13

- 267 card expanded set with 13 promo cards.
    - Win the battle against your opponent one of two ways: Play all 7 of your Dragon Balls and wish for victory or deplete all the cards out of your opponent’s life deck through bone-crushing attacks.
    - Booster Pack SRP: $3.29
    - Starter SRP: $11.99

---

Wild C.A.T.S - complete series

wildCats.jpg

10,000 years ago, amidst a war that spanned as many or more, the Kherubim and Daemonites crashed into the planet Earth. The Kherubim adapted and assimilated while the Daemonites carried their plans for domination underground. There they wait, until they are prepared to resurface and conquer not just our planet, but the entire galaxy. Now that time has come. The Kherubim and their descendants emerge and mobilize to form Covert Action Teams (WildC.A.T.S). Their mission: to fight the evil Daemonite forces and ensure the safety of the galaxy.

Old fans and new can watch how this battle begins and ends. This collector’s edition includes all 13 episodes of the Wild C.A.T.S series plus a 25-minute interview with comic legend Jim Lee.

Here is a look at the extras:
    Jim Lee Q&A - 25 minute exclusive interview!
    Jim Lee Profile
    Battle Clips
    Mission Photo Album
    Trivia Battle
    Character Profiles
    Key Association Profiles
    Pilot Script: “Dark Blade Falling” as a digital extra

Check out the website for additional information, www.funimation.com/wildcats

---

Burst Angel and Gunsilnger Girls

ba_gsg_box.jpg

Simply trying to label either of these two series is tough. “Girls with guns” works if you have seen the series because you will understand that there is much more to these two great anime than that simple label. If you haven’t seen these series, you need to check them out! Burst Angel and Gunslinger Girl offer very distinct takes on the old “girls with guns” theme.

The animation is incredible; the scenery and the sound are remarkable. If that’s not enough, then the captivating story lines and character development will seal the deal. The first DVDs for both are available now and the second volumes for each street July 12!

Check out the websites to get the latest information on two of the hottest anime series on the market.

---

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki

The original Tenchi Muyo! series introduced an entire generation to the world of anime. Tenchi Muyo! GXP continued in the Tenchi Muyo! galaxy and introduced a new leading man - Seina Yamada.

Now in the OVA series Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, Tenchi is back and he seeks answers to his past while trying to come to terms with the fact that he is engaged? Who is this new mysterious girl? How can Tenchi be engaged without ever meeting her?

Find out on July 5 as the first Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki DVD hits the streets.

Wait, there’s more! As a special treat, the original voice actors were reunited to take part in the U.S. release of Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki. Tenchi Muyo! fans prepare to celebrate the U.S. release of Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki on DVD from FUNimation Entertainment.

For more information, check out www.tenchireturns.com.

---

Video Releases

- Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki v.1 - Here Comes the Bride
    - Burst Angel v.2 - A New Tokyo
    - Gunslinger Girl v.3 - Vita, Passione e' Pistole
    - Fullmetal Alchemist v.4 - The Fall of Ishbal
    - Yu Yu Hakusho v.32 - Yuske Rediscovered
    - WildC.A.T.S Complete Series - Collector Edition
    - Galaxy Railways v.1 - Ahead Full / Starter Setl
    - Dragon Ball Z Great Saiyaman - Gohan's Secret

---

Some Of the Dates Above maybe WRONG

some of the dates above maybe wrong, so if there please say and i will correct them. I tried to be accurate as i possible could!

I hope you like it alot of hard work went into it. Sorry For The Double Post The Forum Wouldnt Allow Me To Post It As 1 Whole Long Post.

- Stuart :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

woah good post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭quon

Floating around play.com I discovered that Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress and Studio Ghibli's The Cat returns are due for a mid-September release. 19th and 26th if my memory serves me correctly. About time these came out in Europe. So many more should be released here though... (Totoro for one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Heh nice one!

Yeah, well I'v no problem with this as long as you dont say start giving links to your site to buy it :)

Only thing I might recommend is taking the interview and having a thread dedicated to them.

Cant wait for next months :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Galway22

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Heh nice one!

Yeah, well I'v no problem with this as long as you dont say start giving links to your site to buy it :)

Only thing I might recommend is taking the interview and having a thread dedicated to them.

Cant wait for next months :D

Thanks next months will be put up on the 3rd of August :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ex.sara

Thanks for the nice thread

it's dam good

well no thing to say but thanks

Advertisement