Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

timing belt problem

Options
  • 20-07-2005 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

I got a new timing belt fitted to a 01 astra (45,000miles), i drove it home from the garage and it was grand, but i drove in to work tonight (30miles), at one stage it felt like i was going up hill when i wasn't, (engine under strain) now its very hard to start ( 3 attempts cranking for 5 seconds ), stalling, jerky, and the emmisions warning light is on.

just wonder is it possibal for the timing belt to slip a bit and cause this? and if so could it slip more on the way home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Well if it were not tensioned properly it can jump one tooth and it can do it repeatedly with driving.

A quick check of the Ig. timing and compression will confirm your fears.

And or might want to check they reinstalled the plugs. it's easier to turn the engine with them removed, so I'd suspect they were removed.
    anyway, get it seen to immediately before you start clattering valves, then it becomes a $1500 job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd call the garage and inform them that you wish them to recover the vehicle to their workshop for investigation. I certainly would not start the engine again until the issue is sorted. You may have been very lucky, but don't push your luck just in case it snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like it has not been fitted properly or the tension may not be right. I would ring the garage first thing in the morning and would not risk driving the car until the garage that carried out the work examin it.

Advertisement