Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Freezing mid-game

Options
  • 20-07-2005 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I just replaced the standard Geforce 4 MX420/64mb Graphics card in my PC with a Club 3D Geforce 6600/256mb and suitably upgraded my power supply to a NorthQ with 400w output. However, when I am playing a game such as Area51, the screen freezes but I can still here the action continuing in the background.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

never heard of north q, how much it cost? Installed the latest forceware?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

psu should be ok even if its a cheapo have you pumped up the cards graphics to much even my gt still struggles woth bf2 on full spec put everything to medium then try as mp3 guy said download nvidia drivers dont use the ones you get wi the card there ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I have the PCI-Express version of that card "Alan153".

You can easily overclock the GPU to 500MHz and the memory to 550MHZ.
    Give that a go and see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Alan153

Thanks Folks:
    mp3guy: I bought the psu from komplett and it cost €60

The Real B-Man: I haven't oc'ed the card. I want it running properly before I try anything like that. I have only installed it as per the instructions and installed the drivers from the Nvidia homepage. I will try adjusting down the graphics but that is a bit of a pi$$er as i bought the card to cope with these games..!!

Zuma: As I said, I would like it running properly first before I try to overclock it.

Folks:
    I was advised to turn off the "AGP Fast Write in the BIOS". Can anyone please advise me on how to do this. My pc is an Advent 3310.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I had a similar problem and disabling Fast Writes sorted it all out. If that doesn't work, fiddle with the AGP Aperature size.

How do I turn off this AGP Fast Write in the Bios?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Alan, when your PC is booting up, hit F8 a few times to get into the BIOS (could be another F-key, check for options on-screen when booting up). Go into the BIOS and just browse the various menus till you come across the AGP Fast Write option and disable it. Then save and exit.

Advertisement