Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Insurance displayed

Options
  • 20-07-2005 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a van which has no insurance disc displayed. Could someone tell me what the procedure is for reporting this? Is it a call to the guards or does someone else look after this? If it makes any difference it would appear to be a commercial vehicle.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

*holds in anger :mad:

I hope you have a very good reason for wanting to do something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Farls wrote:
    *holds in anger :mad:

I hope you have a very good reason for wanting to do something like that?

Saving someone alot of time and money if the driver of the van crashes into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steady on old chap! Do you know the van is without insurance or merely "between disks". It can happen I was in situation when the van I drive was put on the company policy, the old policy disk (from previous owner) "ran out" but the new one had'nt arrived in the post. So I had nothing on the screen in date but i was insured.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

does del boy trotter own this van :rolleyes:

mike65 wrote:
    Steady on old chap! Do you know the van is without insurance or merely "between disks". It can happen I was in situation when the van I drive was put on the company policy, the old policy disk (from previous owner) "ran out" but the new one had'nt arrived in the post. So I had nothing on the screen in date but i was insured.

Mike.

Mike,

if you look in the original post it says no disk displayed, which unless it's a new van it shouldn't have, because you get some "days of grace" on your old disk, so surely it'd be better to keep that in your windscreen

• Advertisement

I believe that a mans business is his own and if some shít* reported me to the guards for not displaying the insurance without a very good reason i'd take it very personally.

Also if i was a guard i'd take it personally that said shít* was trying to tell me my job.

Farlz

*not directly intended at OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

the [good reason]is he`s breaking the law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder if the OP also goes round reporting the foreign reg cars to the customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Joe Citizen doing his civic duty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

county wrote:
    the [good reason]is he`s breaking the law!
    How the hell do you know? It's not the law to displa the disc, it's the law to display it when you have it (Road traffic act 1961, I believe). If he's waiting for it then he's breaking no law.

If he's been without it for an unreasonable period of time then I don't see the problem in reporting it. If he's insured it'll be easy enough to verify, if not he'll be charged.

Remember that some vehicles are actually exempt from displaying an insurance disc.

• Advertisement

I'd just love to know the OP's reason for wanting to report this before this blows up into a big arguement which is where its headed.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Farls wrote:
    I'd just love to know the OP's reason for wanting to report this before this blows up into a big arguement which is where its headed.

Farlz

Sure, I came back to my apartment and there was a van parked in my reserved space which meant I had to go looking for a spot to park. I was P.O.'d and noticed when I looked at it that it had no insurance displayed. Not quite as P.O.'d now.

@Mike, I've no idea if it's between discs, all that was there was a tax disc.

@Bond-007, Nope but if they parked in my space I'd consider it. In many ways I'm a petty man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys leave him alone and stop being noisy.

i got a car and i didnot put a insurance disk in it until around 2 months it was in my room and thats my problem where i keep it not anyone elses and if someone reported me i would call them a noisyXXXXX so just keep out of it and make sure you donot break any law:D

have you ever gone through a red light,if so then i am reporting you:D (thats breaking the law)

0utshined wrote:
    Sure, I came back to my apartment and there was a van parked in my reserved space which meant I had to go looking for a spot to park. I was P.O.'d and noticed when I looked at it that it had no insurance displayed. Not quite as P.O.'d now.

@Mike, I've no idea if it's between discs, all that was there was a tax disc.

@Bond-007, Nope but if they parked in my space I'd consider it. In many ways I'm a petty man :D

There's a method behind your madness then, I was hoping for this! If you were just joe public doing what you felt to be your civic duty my estimation of you would of been down with the sewer rats.

This on the other hand is a good enough reason to want revenge...if it was me i'd of parked directly behind or crossways behind blocking the van in if there was space enough. If not i'd of probably done something even more childish that i'll not go into.

Honestly i dont think reporting it will make any difference...should of just píssed on his doorhandles and laughed yourself to sleep tonite in your own satisfaction. :)

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

Maybe he has a loan of the Van whilst his is being serviced etc. I'd love to know what the story is regarding this as anytime I had a loan car I left the disc in my own car as MY REG is on it so technically if it was in a loan car then in would be wrong. Which is the worst evil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You're a bit of a shít there yourself aren't ya Farls?*

When you thought he wanted to report someone who might have been breaking the law you were up for a scrap to defend the van driver, grassing is not on for the likes of you.
    Now that it's a revenge thing you're all in favour of doing the dirty on the person you were defending half an hour ago.

You sound just like practically every scanger I have had the displeasure of knowing.

Perhaps when you grow up you might realise that parking in someone elses' space is not nearly as bad as driving without insurance.

I suppose you think calling the police about drink drivers is below the belt too, after all it's your own business, right?

*Not directly intended at Farls, just at anyone else out there that just happens to hold the exact same views. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Roffle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Bond-007 wrote:
    Roffle :D

Indeed :D

To the OP, have you rung your Apartments managing agents - they usually have a clamping company on contract for that sort of thing.

Occasionally while I've been insured, the agent/insurance co have been really slow about issuing a disc. Once I didn't have a current disk for about 3 weeks, followed by a temporary disk (which looked likeone I'd made myself :rolleyes: ) for another 3 weeks.

Now I wouldn't have had a problem with the gards calling around because I was insured, so by my way of thinking if White Van Man is insured he'll have no problems either.

If on the other hand he's the sort of scumbag who drives a commercial vehicle uninsured and parks in other people's private property he deserve's everything he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

0utshined wrote:
    I've noticed a van which has no insurance disc displayed. Could someone tell me what the procedure is for reporting this? Is it a call to the guards or does someone else look after this? If it makes any difference it would appear to be a commercial vehicle.

Thanks,

if the car is on private property it does not have to have insurance - it may not be in use.

• Advertisement

comanche wrote:
    if the car is on private property it does not have to have insurance - it may not be in use.

Technically is the spot not the OP's private property? Therefore he is in full right to ring the Gardaí

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Did anyone think it might be government owned? if so no insurance disc is required. Also if it's owned by a self-insure company again no requirement for a disc.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

The more people driving around this country without insurance, the more it costs the people with insurance.

If the van does not require insurance, I don't see a problem in the Police being informed, the driver/user has nothing to fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

I saw someone walking a dog just there, anyone know how I can find out if the owner paid for a dog license?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

the jew wrote:
    I saw someone walking a dog just there, anyone know how I can find out if the owner paid for a dog license?
    Ask him. The owner that is, not the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

or he could just mind his own f***** business:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pour engine oil all over his door handles.

John R wrote:
    You're a bit of a shít there yourself aren't ya Farls?*

When you thought he wanted to report someone who might have been breaking the law you were up for a scrap to defend the van driver, grassing is not on for the likes of you.
    Now that it's a revenge thing you're all in favour of doing the dirty on the person you were defending half an hour ago.

You sound just like practically every scanger I have had the displeasure of knowing.

Perhaps when you grow up you might realise that parking in someone elses' space is not nearly as bad as driving without insurance.

I suppose you think calling the police about drink drivers is below the belt too, after all it's your own business, right?

*Not directly intended at Farls, just at anyone else out there that just happens to hold the exact same views. ;)

Course i'm a shít when it suits me...just like everyone else in this country including you. As for sticking up for the van driver the OP looked as though he was doing what he thought his civic duty by reporting him so, i'm against that, i'm against all you hollier than thou's.

But when the OP explained his case as I asked I seen the annoyance of what the van had done so I said what I would do.

If you followed the thread like a good man you'd of seen that.

As for calling me a skanger...catch yourself on...you don't know me. Also don't tell me grow up, or just jump to assumptions.

And drink drivers? Don't go painting me with your stereotipical paint brush ya gobshíte.

And CrowdedHouse thanks for your troll antics. Back under your rock now. I'm not even going to start about VRT here...its gone enough OT as it is.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

me sighs.........and warns the usual suspects to watch thier language. Spraying invective around like bullets may feel good as you type but it makes me sad*. :(

Mike.

*translation - any more of it and I'll be awarding week long bans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement