Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this be done:- A little help please.

Options
  • 20-07-2005 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Basically i am going to the states on Aug 5th, i have a nokia 3410 dual band, what i am going to do is this and i wonder has anyone ever tried it.

I wanted vodafone to put me on bill-pay for a month as they don't do ready to go roaming in the USA. They would do this but insisted i stay on bill pay for 12months. This i am not doing, i know it might be cheap and all but i'm want to be pre-pay. So my solution is get a Sharp GX25 eith new or 2nd hand and get it unlocked, then move my 087 onto a new meteor sim and use the Vodafone Sharp GX25 on meteor pre-pay to roam in the USA and as my "normal" phone here in Ireland then ? can this be done or has anyone ever done it ? I belive that all the menu bars etc will coated in Vodafone livery is this true ? and if i unlock (with a code of the net, ebay probably) will this get rid of the Vodafone logos etc. ? Well is this a good idea or a bad one in thoeory it sounds good to me but is their any pitfalls. Plus is the Sharp GX25 a good phone etc ? Oh yeah i'm not buying a cheap tacky meteor phone they are just so awful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

netwhizkid wrote:
    Basically i am going to the states on Aug 5th, i have a nokia 3410 dual band, what i am going to do is this and i wonder has anyone ever tried it.

I wanted vodafone to put me on bill-pay for a month as they don't do ready to go roaming in the USA. They would do this but insisted i stay on bill pay for 12months. This i am not doing, i know it might be cheap and all but i'm want to be pre-pay. So my solution is get a Sharp GX25 eith new or 2nd hand and get it unlocked, then move my 087 onto a new meteor sim and use the Vodafone Sharp GX25 on meteor pre-pay to roam in the USA and as my "normal" phone here in Ireland then ? can this be done or has anyone ever done it ? I belive that all the menu bars etc will coated in Vodafone livery is this true ? and if i unlock (with a code of the net, ebay probably) will this get rid of the Vodafone logos etc. ? Well is this a good idea or a bad one in thoeory it sounds good to me but is their any pitfalls. Plus is the Sharp GX25 a good phone etc ? Oh yeah i'm not buying a cheap tacky meteor phone they are just so awful.

Sounds like a plan however check out metoer and their roaming... i have meteor but they have a pile of hoops for you to jump through.. like 60€ upfront topup required before you go / telling them the exact dates / wanting your visa card number etc. Thats why when im away i use my o2 card as ir requires no work whatso ever just go away and use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

yeah you could do that as meteor do let you roam in the states as a ready to go user as they onloy have camel roaming in the UK and spain now, so you have to leave a credit card on your account for security but thats about it just take it easy on your phone calls and all will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

unlocking the sharp won't get rid of the vodafone crap they have all over it.
    i really hate the way they do that !!!

you'll have to get it debranded.
    try here he does them cheap.
    well worth it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

o2 prepaid are quite good for roaming, and do us afaik. maybe you could buy a cheap o2 phone, just for the month in the us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

derv wrote:
    unlocking the sharp won't get rid of the vodafone crap they have all over it.
    i really hate the way they do that !!!

you'll have to get it debranded.
    try here he does them cheap.
    well worth it too.

The GX25 is not a simple phone to debrand along with most of the Sharps, as they were produced exclusively for Vodafone and only Vodafone flashes exist.

I have one and I changed it to the Ferrari limited edition flash, but even that is still Vodafone based

• Advertisement
Advertisement