Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lastmile in Kinnegad

• 21-07-2005 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

I was trying to get BB from lastmile .Sent of forms installer comes out and says it is not a standard install.We need a 5m pole and two t brackets .Cost of this 200 euros extra. Is this normal/reasonable.When i rang to enquire i was told in no uncertain terms by the Installation manager that i should just pay up as "if you want broadband you dont have any choice".His attitude was very agressive.He then went on to rant about how i was lucky i was in a subsidised area.When i asked him how much lastmile got from the Grop broadband scheme he told me this was none of my business.Maybe I was being nieve about how much the install would cost but surley 500 euros,including subsidy, is over the top.I found out from another source they get 200 subsidy the standard install is 100.We do have line of site ,over roof tops.I also wanted an extra point for broadband the charge for this was to be 125 euros for what is a 5 m cable run and extra socket.Thats a total cost to me of 425 euros is this what people are paying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Not to mention doing it for 'cash' to avoid the vat is illegal and certainly not something any respectable ISP would offer a customer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

This crowd sound very suspicious!!!

Lesson from this story: Do more research into your would be ISP!!!
    Also it is your Business to ask how much the government is giving them as its YOU money through Taxes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

€200 for 20 minutes work is extortionate. You could get an aerial fitter to pop up the required pole for a lot less and then get them to come back and fit their equipment.

This company are subsidised using Government and EU money. There are certain standards set for them and their subcontractors as a condition of funding. If the installer requested a cash payment to avoid VAT, that's tax evasion. If the manager encouraged that, then the company is also directly involved which has to be a breach of the terms of their grant funding. If I was you I'd be calling someone senior in the company to seek an explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I had them set me up here in Co Roscommon - a pretty amateurish crowd. 99 euro for the install - and 25 for the drivers for Win 98 - because it wasn't standard. They wanted cash for that - and no reciept or invoice was offered. I had big prolems getting a router to work - and just gave up in the end. The service is OK - but they are not really an ISp - no webspace or email as far as I know. But its cheap enough at 25 a month. I'll be moving out of this house soon and won't even be able to get the eircom broadband in the new one. I'll miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Ogham wrote:
    and 25 for the drivers for Win 98 - because it wasn't standard.

That must be illegal....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

***Firstly, I need to point out that I am in no way a representative for Last Mile, nor do I have any information on andyeire's install. I am purely speaking from my own viewpoint as co-ordinator of the community group involved in the GBS in Kinnegad.***

I cannot comment on the sub-contracted installer allegedly asking for cash for your non-standard install, so I am not going to.

As I am aware, the standard installation consists of the Airspan wireless equipment, mounting brackets, 6 foot pole and something like 15m of Cat5 cable. The GBS subsidised cost for this standard installation is €99, an installation that differs from this is non-standard and would attract extra costs that would be quoted to you by the installer. In fact, this is covered in the T & C's that you would have signed when sending off your application:
    19. The connection fee and first month’s rental must be paid before installation of wireless equipment. There is a fixed charge for a Standard
    Installation. Non-standard Installations will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis and usually attract an additional connection fee. Any additional fee will be agreed with the Subscriber in advance of installation and be paid at time of installation or collected on the first Direct Debit transaction.
    I'd imagine once the installation changes from a standard to a non-standard one, you are effectively dealing directly with the sub-contractor regarding the installation and any additional work you have requested (ie. extra broadband point). However, the total cost does appear to be high.

I know of one boards user connected to Last Mile's network who also had to pay extra for a non-standard installation so it is not uncommon.

I can say though, that I have never had any problems with my dealings with Last Mile. They have always been professional and courteous with me and anyone else I know who have availed of their services, this is the first time I have heard of any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I would like to clarify my original post my problem is not with the installer it is with the attitude of the staff of last mile.I thought the install was expensive,but the reason i wouldnt now use lastmile is the way the installation manager spoke to me.I made the point that of the 120 houses in my estate most would be non standard.His reply was "are you stupid or what people have to be paid" with that kind of attitude i will not do business with them.The final straw was when i asked who owned lastmile he hung up.

Advertisement