Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo Boy is back!

Options
  • 21-07-2005 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

I was just listening to the radio there and they said that they've put the Echo Boy back, it was damaged in 2001, did it really take them 4 years to repair?? Apparently they've put it on Patrick Street now, will be nice to see him back again though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

About time too the echo is a cork institution and the echo boy statue was part of our heritage, shame its been away for so long. It's a pity there are so few people selling the echo on the streets of cork now, is there any left except the guy on oliver pluncket street by the post office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

theres a few lads that sell on Christy Ring bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

What about yer man whose usually up by Oasis/Barretts Shoes? He's an institution! Y'can't have missed him all these years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

a welcome return for the echo boy.. I've missed him those times I wanted someone to talk to whilst polluted.

What about yer man whose usually up by Oasis/Barretts Shoes? He's an institution! Y'can't have missed him all these years?
    Are yousure he's an echo man i thought he only sold the broadsheets. Guess i should read the paper more often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I've only been in Cork about 3 times but I remember there was a guy who sat outside one of the main post offices in town shouting "Echo....Echo......Echo" in a kind of really slow manner. Is he the guy ye're talking about?

gaf1983 wrote:
    I've only been in Cork about 3 times but I remember there was a guy who sat outside one of the main post offices in town shouting "Echo....Echo......Echo" in a kind of really slow manner. Is he the guy ye're talking about?
    He's one of the last echo men but its the statue of an echo boy that the op is talkin about.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Dimitri wrote:
    Are yousure he's an echo man i thought he only sold the broadsheets. Guess i should read the paper more often!

Pfff... :confused: He sells papers; that's about all I know for certain. I get mine up in the college 'cause it's cheaper , so I'm not sure exactly which ones he sells tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Tut tut my organisation won't have this for much longer http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=286412

*Get the semtex*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

My montestory teachers husband was the artist that made him or whatever the art term is for it, sculpting perhaps! Anyhew I remember seeing it as wire mesh and all the work being done on it but thats about 16 years ago now. The Echo-Boy is almost legal age to vote!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ya i think i saw him there by jean scene in patricks street. i didnt notice he had gone, i just rememember the other day thinking..wasnt that statue over there somewhere??...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

gaf1983 wrote:
    I've only being in cork a few times but i remember this guy going around shouting echo echoo top of his voice outside a postoffice. Is that the guy you talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Webmonkey wrote:
    I've only being in cork a few times but i remember this guy going around shouting echo echoo top of his voice outside a postoffice. Is that the guy you talking about

no that guy is tilll there,
    the echo boy is a statue of a wee boy with a stack of papers by his feet.
    the echo boy

Advertisement