Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool and Drumming

Options
  • 21-07-2005 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good Tool album, I've heard a lot of people talking about them recently, particularly from a drumming perspective, and I'd be interested to listen to some of their stuff. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Lateralus is as good as any, IMO. Though if it's drumming you're after I'd recommend you get this instead. There is no finer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

for drumming, dream theater, or rush, or spastic ink

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

aenima is the classic tool album! it should be the first one u buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Nah, for the drumming and technicality I'd go with Lateralus, even though Aenima is my favourite album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

yeah, ticks & leeches :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

Lateralus or Aenima are both excellent, for drumming and otherwise.

If you like them, you should get Opiate and Undertow.

And if you turn out to be a huge fan, such as myself, go for Salival and wait for years for another album :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

kkposse wrote:
    aenima is the classic tool album! it should be the first one u buy!

that pretty much sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

anyone know where you can get salival - eBay aside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

in terms of the drums and the cool rythms, etc... lateralus is definitely the superior album. overall not tools best IMHO, but if it's the percussion you really want to listen to then lateralus is definitely the way to go. =0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Aenima is a great drumming album, you couldnt go wrong there. Danny Carey is the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Why just get one album when you can get their discography and see the evolution of their styles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hey Cuz!
    ...dont know much about tool have heard a good bit about mr.carrey..supposed to be good, plays sonor drums..thats a good sign!!... :D
    Doc J..is always plugging his fave outfit Cynic...great musicians for sure...just a pity for them that Rush are stilll better eh Doc? ;)
    Ahh well is all good..if ya get stuk about carrey try any of 20 Rush albums for the REAL MAN Mr. Peart ... its allll there!!! :eek:

ciao',,,Baggio..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Maynard.

Got mine in sound cellar in dublin. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah sound cellar all the way, but that was a few years back.

as for when to get salival, if you love lateralus and aenima then salival is a must have, the versions of third eye and pushít are sublime.

Lateralus is probably the best drumming album as far as tool goes, but aenima is still great in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Salival is now out of print

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting Lateralus and it is the shizzle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cool. Wise choice. But you need to buy them ALL! In reverse chronological order. Salival, Aenema, Undertow and Opiate. DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Cousin it wrote:
    Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting Lateralus and it is the shizzle! :)
    Aenima shall be your next pruchase. Buy this album.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

I am under your command. I will buy aenima.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Good boy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'm almost certain I've seen it in Tower

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

I got my copy of Salival in HMV but that was a good few years ago...

Keep searching for it, it's worth it even just for the alternative version of Push it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Maynard.

fortuneg wrote:
    Keep searching for it, it's worth it even just for the alternative version of Pu****!

And the No quarter cover.. Mmmmm, no quarter...
    Actually every track is great, possibly excluding merkaba, which tbh sounds like a 10 minute intro.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Maynard. wrote:
    And the No quarter cover.. Mmmmm, no quarter...
    Actually every track is great, possibly excluding merkaba, which tbh sounds like a 10 minute intro.. :rolleyes:

That No Quarter cover is fantastic too, & lets not forget You Lied!

The only one i'd skip past is that feckin one at the end, the LA Municipal Court thing...

Advertisement