Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Coming Out This Morning....

• 21-07-2005 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Ok so after a small debate with Tech and Customer Support IBB are finally sending someone out today to check my connection. Just done a test there and my mast is showing a 5% packet loss on a tracert from Broadbandreports.com and using black knight my speeds are Down:256kbps and UP:195

Less see what it's like after.....
    (bout two hours)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I rang up to complain last week. After much debate about how the contention ratio excuse just wasn't good enough, I convinced the tech support guy to run through the settings at this end. Eventually he found a setting which he changed, and my connection suddenly got far more reliable, I was getting close to the full 2Mbit/s up and down rather than 256kbit/s down, 128kbits/s up. Apparently they must have a "make this connection ****" checkbox ticked by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

but how long did it stay good for start. I find you get about a days good sercive after they tick that box. Just to get you off the phone for the day me thinks.

Seems to be good enough so far, was last Monday they ticked it. I've a feeling the speed has been dropping off bit by bit since though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

what tick box was it maybe i can fix mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

UPDATE:

Ok so far their late..... Should have been here over an hour and a half ago. I gotta go to work so these shower of (insert word here) would wanna hurry or when they arrive they can pull there alvarion equipment outta my wheelie bin :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I has absolutely no idea, but fair dues to IBB for facing up to society and finally proclaiming their sexuality to the world.

They're here, they're queer, get used to it!

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dahamsta wrote:
    I has absolutely no idea, but fair dues to IBB for facing up to society and finally proclaiming their sexuality to the world.

adam
    :confused: :eek:

dahamsta wrote:

adam

I'm confussled? :confused:

UPDATE:

They were ment to here at 9.30 this morning, Called up and i was told it was actually 11.00 not 9am like i was told earler last week. So at 11.30 i called again to be told they were on route and will deffo be there by 12pm...... Still nobody here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i just tested my speeds and they said my download speed is 1.96mbps and my upload speed is 194kbps......i have a 600k connection with ntl, does this sound right for that?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

tabatha wrote:
    i just tested my speeds and they said my download speed is 1.96mbps and my upload speed is 194kbps......i have a 600k connection with ntl, does this sound right for that?
    I'm sorry, why the hell are you posting in this thread?

I agree, Brill n'all about the NTL service but i set this thread up to keep people informed about Irish Broadbands call out service and if they do any good. As for your NTl connection yes its perfect so no need to set up a new thread or anything.

ANYWAY.....

UPDATE!

Still no show..... There now coming up to 4 hours late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

CuLT wrote:
    I'm sorry, why the hell are you posting in this thread?

jez, relax for god sake, didnt know i broke one of the commandments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

tabatha wrote:
    jez, relax for god sake, didnt know i broke one of the commandments!
    Oh indeed you did. God gave Moses 10 and Boards added another 3:
    11. Thou shall use the search function before starting a new thread.
    12. Thou shalt not jump on someone elses thread and take it off topic.
    13. Thou shalt not discuss Warez or other illegal activity.
    :D:D:D
    Anywho, Undercoverguy, any sign yet?

HA! Ya gott hear this!

Ok so they arrived at around 1.30pm.... Only 4 and a half hours after the time they were ment to but we'll blame that on IBB Head Office.
    So i open the door to be greeted by two men with russian accents wearing yello jackets labled "Hanlon Communications" in and big "Hanlon Communications" van. They had real stong russian accents so they were a little hard to understand and i dont think they could understand my american/irish accient. Anywho we got a one word conversation going here's how it works.

Me: "How ya doing?"
    Guy One: "Irish Broadband....."
    Me: "Yea Excellent, been waiting for you guys...."
    Guy One: "Your neighbors broadband?" *points at alvarion stuff on roof*
    Me: "No Thats Mine.....?"
    Guy One: *looks confused* "Two Broadbands?"
    Me: "What? No. One Broadband....."
    Both Guys: *look at each other*
    Me: "This is a connection issue not a install....."
    Both Guys: "Oh Ok..... Sorry"
    Me: Fufilled with the feeling this problem aint gonna get sorted today......

Anyway so i waddle around the house for the best part of a hour and a half, every now and then i'd go in a trow an eye and see how things are coming along. They had their labtop out and on the phone to IBB while doing speed tests using telnet so i left them too it for the most part.

Anyway they got up onto the roof and changed me to the Northside mast...... for around 2min after they discovered it was even worse than Baldoyle.
    So back to Baldoyle it was.

So a few fine tunes in the direction of the mast and a basic check on the equipment later were back inside the house at the computer.
    A few more fine tweeks when i'm asked "1MB or 2MB?"
    JESUS CHRIST!!!! COULD THIS BE IT..... COULD I BE GETTING UPGRADED to 2MB !!!!" .... No.
    Just had to confirm i hadnt yet been upgraded, its possible he did upgrade me to the 2MB service but its not bloody lightly.
    Anyway, so he sets up the connection and asks me to try it out, So with two large russian guys standing over my shoulder i do the only thing i can do when under pressure..... Google. BAD IDEA, cos with Google you can pawn of a 2kbps connection as "BroadBand" so like the bloody fool i am i go to Boards.ie which takes a few seconds but gets their in the end faster than before. So i tell the guys it's all dandy when all my brain is shouting is "IRISHISPTEST.COM !!!! IRISHISPTEST.COM!!!!!" but i figure that would be too cheeky! So the guy tells me that i have been put onto a different sector of the Baldoyle mast..... w-woo! *sarcasim* So a few goodbyes later they guys are gone and im jumping up the stairs doing some perment dammage to leg ligiments in an attempt to get to my compuer fast as i can and try out my new super cool broadband...... HA!

At first i get super sonic speeds of 0kbps cos it actually dosn't connect to anyting, so a reboot of the equipment and the computer was needed only to reveal after a BlackKnight test that the connection.... Is worse!

I dunno how they did it either, but IBB have managed to make the connection worse! Speeds have actually droped on the download to just under the 200kbps mark while uploads is at 600kbps

So off i go to make another call to IBB and tell them that i want to be upgraded to the 2MB service by the end of the month or a full refund of the difference between the 2mb and 1mb service.

So just to sum it up...... IBB are twats and our quick maths lesson is...

(2MB) EUR48.40 - (1MB) EUR35.99 = 12.41
    Difference of 12.41 over a 7 month period EUR99.28 ..... C-Ching!

Off i go to make some some poor girl or lad at Irish Broadband cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Could you upload a pic of your http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed screen???

I doubt the 2 lads were Russian...probable from Poland or a Baltic state.

Make them squirm!!!

Me: Fufilled with the feeling this problem aint gonna get sorted today......
    They had their labtop out
    but its not bloody lightly.

I don't think they were the only eastern europeans in the house.

Anyway, so he sets up the connection and asks me to try it out, So with two large russian guys standing over my shoulder i do the only thing i can do when under pressure..... Google. BAD IDEA, cos with Google you can pawn of a 2kbps connection as "BroadBand" so like the bloody fool i am i go to Boards.ie which takes a few seconds but gets their in the end faster than before. So i tell the guys it's all dandy when all my brain is shouting is "IRISHISPTEST.COM !!!! IRISHISPTEST.COM!!!!!" but i figure that would be too cheeky!

I hate that! What do they expect you to do, click on a page and say "yeah grand". You'd think they'd have proper network diagnostic software. It's the same when you ring them up and they ask you to do a "speed test" to narrow down the problem. I thought they'd have software at their end that traces all the packets that get sent through to pick out bottlenecks. Instead, they ask you to download a file off heanet! For god sake, I can do that myself without waiting on hold for an hour.

CuLT wrote:
    I don't think they were the only eastern europeans in the house.

I actually feel rather sad that you have to this kind of thing to make yourself feel clever...... :rolleyes:

Anyway back onto the Topic that that the moderator so unnecessarily took us off in which to highlight 3 small spelling/grammer errors,
    My Black Night Speed test results are is attached.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

HA! Ya gott hear this!

.i'm asked "1MB or 2MB?"
    JESUS CHRIST!!!! COULD THIS BE IT..... COULD I BE GETTING UPGRADED to 2MB !!!!" .... No.
    So just to sum it up...... IBB are twats and our quick maths lesson is...

(2MB) EUR48.40 - (1MB) EUR35.99 = 12.41
    Difference of 12.41 over a 7 month period EUR99.28 ..... C-Ching!

Take care what ya wish for. My IBB has been crap since i got upgraded to 2 meg. They should have stayed at 1meg that worked. Not the crap 2 meg I have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Take care what ya wish for. My IBB has been crap since i got upgraded to 2 meg. They should have stayed at 1meg that worked. Not the crap 2 meg I have now.

i couldnt agree with you more, when i was upgraded to 2 it was perfect for about a week, then it realised that it shouldnt be going that fast and sorted itself out :mad:

I actually feel rather sad that you have to this kind of thing to make yourself feel clever...... :rolleyes:

Anyway back onto the Topic that that the moderator so unnecessarily took us off in which to highlight 3 small spelling/grammer errors,
    Well, all in jest, they just struck me as particularily odd errors, you see spelling errors all the time, I make plenty, misunderstood concepts are a rarity :)

And I'm not the moderator, I'm a moderator. The (active) moderator is Moriarty.

Anyhoo, you really should have checked the speeds properly, doesn't take much beyond a bit of self-confidence. I made damn sure my speeds were perfect before the tech left my house after installing.

The problem with the Irish consumer is the amazing ability to bitch under their breath and be so bloody apathetic when it comes to doing anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Those are some impressive results... :rolleyes: ...mabye not!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

So with two large russian guys standing over my shoulder i do the only thing i can do when under pressure..... Google. BAD IDEA, cos with Google you can pawn of a 2kbps connection as "BroadBand" so like the bloody fool i am i go to Boards.ie which takes a few seconds but gets their in the end faster than before. So i tell the guys it's all dandy when all my brain is shouting is "IRISHISPTEST.COM !!!! IRISHISPTEST.COM!!!!!" but i figure that would be too cheeky! So the guy tells me that i have been put onto a different sector of the Baldoyle mast..... w-woo!

Well seems you only have yourself to blame.

Also sounds like your boarder line with regards the range issue.

Advertisement