Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exporters bemoan poor broadband provision

Options
  • 21-07-2005 9:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Silicon Republic reports from the Real World today instead of reprinting lies from planet Fat
    Slow rollout of broadband will put Irish exporters at a serious disadvantage over trading partners for the next five years, warned the Irish Exporters Association yesterday.
    Quite, there will be no economy left by then though :(
    He said Ireland would need to move at twice the speed of its competitors just to catch up.
    Unfortunately the guest at the dinner was none other than Delusional Dempsey TD
    While he accepted there was work to be done, he argued that Ireland’s level of broadband activity among businesses was as high as anywhere in Europe.
    The competition between Dempsey and Comreg to prove who is the more useless is hotting up, shame about the real world economy though :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

While he accepted there was work to be done, he argued that Ireland’s level of broadband activity among businesses was as high as anywhere in Europe.
    Um, isn't this a barefaced lie? Like, a provable one? Hasn't it been reported regularly that broadband takeup in the business sector is ridiclously low in Ireland?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Why bother lieing when anyone who has the slighest clue about telecommunications and Broadband internet access knows that Ireland is one of the worst places in all of Europe.

In speed and coverage we are amongst the very,very,very worst!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

did I not always say that Dempsey would be a disaster as Minister of Communications , he has been in the job a year and comes out with this crap.

He should be considering a Comms act 2002 ministerial directive mandating access to BB for every enterprise in ireland employing 25 persons or more by end 2006 .

He should have gone to the exporters and announced something like that . Instead he lied and obfuscated to try to hide his ignorance and lack of understanding of how critical the issue now is and how utterly not with it Ireland has become in this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

There was a mention of this on the business section at the end of 5-7 Live last night, and also the new low cost offering from the GAA spinoff was reported.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

:eek: Incredible! Have the Irish Exporters Association just suddenly realised this? Or have they like so many other businesses only started to realise that its not just hi tech companies that need broadband.

It never ceases to amaze me just how short sighted these visionary forward looking associations are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I read that article earlier on in the paper today and I was disgusted by parts of it I read. There was another barefaced lie in the article, I can't remember it though. I think it had something to do with availability. Can anyone put it up (I read it in the library)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what paper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Dangger wrote:
    :.
    Hi, David, good to see you popping in, pull your chair up by the fire and stay a while :)

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

From Silicon Republic
    Speaking at its annual lunch association president Michael Counahan recognised the importance of high-speed connectivity to the export business before joining a growing band of lobbyists in a direct criticism of the incumbent telecommunications operator and the part it plays in the rollout of DSL services and unbundling the local loop.

This article got me to thinking, particularly the bit about the "growing band of lobbyists", WHO THEY???, as far as I am concerned, there is only one lobbyist, that has, over the last years, highlighted this scandalous situation, constantly campaigning, debunking the half truths and misinformation, and detailing the true situation, and thats IOFFL,

Organisations, releasing a press release once in a bluemoon, about the scandalous broadband deficit in Ireland, when they can't think of anything else to highlight, does'nt "a growing band of lobbyists" make.

My suggestion?, as this issue concerns every strata of society in Ireland, IOFFL should contact all the representative associations/bodies in Ireland outlining the history, aims and achievements,(and they have been many), of IOFFL and, inviting them to "put their money where their mouth is" and make a financial contribution to the work being done by IOFFL, so that, as happened recently with the EU consultation, the likes of Damian and John should not be personally out of pocket, when they go to bat for "Ireland Inc."
    I know this suggestion will not sit well with some people, but, I do feel that the likes of Eircom would be less inclined to dismiss IOFFL, if they knew a large percentage of their customer base were behind IOFFL, and it had the financial resources to tackle them head on.

My 2c

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

originally posted by Sponge Bob
    what paper?
    It was the Irish Times, in the Business section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

jbkenn wrote:

This article got me to thinking, particularly the bit about the "growing band of lobbyists", WHO THEY???, as far as I am concerned, there is only one lobbyist, that has, over the last years, highlighted this scandalous situation, constantly campaigning, debunking the half truths and misinformation, and detailing the true situation, and thats IOFFL,

Organisations, releasing a press release once in a bluemoon, about the scandalous broadband deficit in Ireland, when they can't think of anything else to highlight, does'nt "a growing band of lobbyists" make.

You would almost think that someone wanted other more compliant and pliable lobby groups to take over the BB lobby. :D

jbkenn wrote:
    My suggestion?, as this issue concerns every strata of society in Ireland, IOFFL should contact all the representative associations/bodies in Ireland outlining the history, aims and achievements,(and they have been many), of IOFFL and, inviting them to "put their money where their mouth is" and make a financial contribution to the work being done by IOFFL, so that, as happened recently with the EU consultation, the likes of Damian and John should not be personally out of pocket, when they go to bat for "Ireland Inc."
    I know this suggestion will not sit well with some people, but, I do feel that the likes of Eircom would be less inclined to dismiss IOFFL, if they knew a large percentage of their customer base were behind IOFFL, and it had the financial resources to tackle them head on.

My 2c

jbkenn

Strangely enough being completely voluntary non funded generates a lot of good will and recognition. Funding always begs the question whos doing the funding and why.

But we can address that at the AGM if needs be.

John

Advertisement