Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Music DownLoad Sites - Which are the best Legitimate sites

• 21-07-2005 10:00am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

What sites do you use, legit sites that is?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I use www.allofmp3.com
    Legal and dirt cheap.
    Has a range of encoding options.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

allofmp3 all the way :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How do ye pay? Is it safe

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm not a huge fan of the site itself (slow to put up new releases) but mycokemusic.com - for the simple reason is that, for the moment, its free. Collect the codes off the bottles/cans and download for free! (I have over €100 credit myself :D ).

Note to self: try not to drink as much Coke when the promotion ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I've been using allofmp3 and its not bad, but they are definately slow with new releases and they don't have a lot of rare or old stuff. Anyone use mp3search.ru ? I'm thinking about it. They get the new releases in straight away and have loads of rare stuff, but the website looks a bit shody to say the least. I'm not sure if I trust it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dr. Spock wrote:
    I'm not a huge fan of the site itself (slow to put up new releases) but mycokemusic.com - for the simple reason is that, for the moment, its free. Collect the codes off the bottles/cans and download for free! (I have over €100 credit myself :D ).

Note to self: try not to drink as much Coke when the promotion ends
    It doesn't sound like such a good offer when you factor in the dental bills you'll be facing later on...

I use allofmp3.com too. It may be a bit slow in gettin the releases up.... but I'm never in much of a rush anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

itunes definitely

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Was hoping to start using allofmp3 recently but I've always been weary of their legality - what's the point in paying them if it's just as illegal as every other medium (exceptions being iTunes and co).

Anyway I decided to find out and the official line from IRMA is that allofmp3 is not legal. In fact there is currently an "international effort" in conjunction with Russian authorities to take down Allofmp3.

Paypal is not "broken" on allofmp3. Paypal have pulled their support from them.

Anyway, shame, quite a shame. Looked like a pretty cool site. 99 cent for a song on iTunes? Seems madness in comparrison. It's practically the same price as buying a CD in a shop - close enough at least.

Apologies for dragging up an oldish thread, but it's the newest one that turned up in a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Eircom music isnt too bad right now, they have a buy 40euro credit, get 40 free. Full albums work out around 6euro each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

halenger wrote:
    Was hoping to start using allofmp3 recently but I've always been weary of their legality - what's the point in paying them if it's just as illegal as every other medium (exceptions being iTunes and co).

Anyway I decided to find out and the official line from IRMA is that allofmp3 is not legal. In fact there is currently an "international effort" in conjunction with Russian authorities to take down Allofmp3.
    Interpretation of the copyright law tends to side with IRMA with regard to allofmp3.com, if the site you are buying music from is not licenced by copyright bodies like IRMO or PPI then you are contravening the act.
    Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA28Y2000S44.html
    (2) A copy shall be an infringing copy—

(a) where the making of it constitutes an infringement of the copyright in the work concerned, or

(b) where it has been or is to be imported into the State, and its making in the State would have constituted an infringement of the copyright in the work concerned, or a breach of an exclusive licence agreement relating to that work.
    So whatever way you turn they have it sewn up. :(

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Interpretation of the copyright law tends to side with IRMA with regard to allofmp3.com, if the site you are buying music from is not licenced by copyright bodies like IRMO or PPI then you are contravening the act.

Ah, but allofmp3 do have a licence, from the russian equivalent, ROMS. Its just kind of unfortunate for IFPI that ROMS was originally created in the Soviet era so the compensation package for the licences isn't quite what they've been able to extort in other markets...

In that case if Russia is a member of the EEA as per the copyright act then its legal. I will have to clarify this.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Unless there is some treaty agreement in place, then my original opinion is still valid. Russia is not a formal member of the European Economic Area.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/external_relations/russia/intro/index.htm

FYI: The EEA includes these countries:

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden

But surely in that case it would be equally illegal to watch free-to-air digital satellite TV from outside the EEA?

But surely in that case it would be equally illegal to watch free-to-air digital satellite TV from outside the EEA?
    Not currently, but if the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation) get the broadcasters treaty through, then its only a matter of time before it filters down to become law in Ireland.

More Information: http://www.publicknowledge.org/issues/wipobroadcasters

Not currently, but if the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation) get the broadcasters treaty through, then its only a matter of time before it filters down to become law in Ireland.

More Information: http://www.publicknowledge.org/issues/wipobroadcasters

IANAL, but I'm not sure how one digital bitstream containing copyrightable content coming from a source outside the EEA who does not have copyright clearence (for want of a better term) in Ireland can be legal here and another can't based on an application of the above laws, surely either both are illegal or both are legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jammin

If you like your dj sets then these lads are the full picnic, they are an ever growing bittorrent site and are connected to a very decent radio station . House, techno, Chillout, Drumnbass, Hardcore, Oldskool, loads of rare old mixtapes the whole shabang!! They are fully legit, absolutely no commercial, so if its britney and crazy frog you're after I'm afraid this not for you. The music is spot on, high quality and some great live sets from Leftfield the Chemicals Massive attack Portisheadand many more gems. Oh and they're a nice crowd of people too...

allofmp3 ~ hmm just plead ignorance til your proven guilty!! seriously though, they're so much cheaper than everyone else they must be fairly aloof from those music industry ******s which is fine by me but then I doubt the artist sees any of the money spent on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

all of mp3 isn't legal. It's Legal in Russia, but not here. Then again you could claim that you thought it was legal since you were paying for the songs.

I'm fairly sure your money has gone to the Russian Mafia :)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

As opposed to the IRMA mafia ?
    The Russian state prosecutor investigated Allofmp3 earlier this year and found that they have no case to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yes.... In russia. Did you read my post?

John

Just to get back on topic.

DMUSIC is a site worth checking - http://www.dmusic.com
    Oddio Overplay is another - http://www.oddiooverplay.com/

It depends on your musical preferences, If you are prepared to step away from the mainstream (i.e. non major record label or IRMA affiliated) then there is good material available. If you search google for legal mp3 then you will find more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Lump wrote:
    In russia. Did you read my post?
    No.

It's not illegal here, it's in a bit of a grey area.

Jip wrote:
    It's not illegal here, it's in a bit of a grey area.
    I agree, until such time that a court case on the subject is decided in Ireland, it will remain a grey area, as long as you don't stray from the parameters set out in section's 41 and 44 of the 2000 copyright and related rights act, then you will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

God, I find it hard to believe, that people are actually concerned about downloading music from www.allofmp3.com in Russia, when here we are living in Rip-Off Ireland where any businessman will rob you BLIND given half a chance ?.. :rolleyes: .

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

aggggghh!! those allofmp3 guys stopped accepting master card!!!! My world has been shattered! There must be more sites like this at this stage? Anyone any more suggestions?

Advertisement