Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarting from scratch ESAT Broadband

• 21-07-2005 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys,

I am trying to self install BB on ESAT. My first problem is that when I connect my DLINK wireless ADLS router to the phone socket the ADSL light on the router does not come on. I would imagine that if the ADSL is actually installed (which ESAT assures me it is) that this light would come on?

Am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

if you've configured the router, then yes, it should.

i think you need to do all the configuration thingies first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nporiord

Ok, where can I get full information on all the specific connection parameters for connecting to ESAT (VCI,VPI etc???)

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

VPI = 8
    VCI = 35
    Protocol = PPPoE
    Did you try the modem that BT supplied to see if you can connect with that?
    or
    Plug the router directly into the phone socket without filter?

Hey,

I connected straight to the router from the socket without any filter. (I did not receive a modem from BT as I already had one.) The light does not come on which suggests to me that there is no valid signal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

nporiord wrote:
    Hey,

I connected straight to the router from the socket without any filter. (I did not receive a modem from BT as I already had one.) The light does not come on which suggests to me that there is no valid signal.

Unless you got an engineer install, you will need a filter between your router and the socket. You will also need a filter on all the other phones in your house.

• Advertisement

Ok, I thought you could plugin stright from the wall socket into the ADSL router but obviously I am wrong. I will pick up a microfilter today and put it between the wall and the router and it shoud be fine then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

You should have taken their modem as they provide the filters. Let them save you the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

nporiord wrote:
    Ok, I thought you could plugin stright from the wall socket into the ADSL router but obviously I am wrong. I will pick up a microfilter today and put it between the wall and the router and it shoud be fine then?

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=272262&page=4 discussing similar problem.

Advertisement