Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistani students not going to college

• 21-07-2005 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

It appears that they are enrolling for course but not turning up to them, instead they get a job. Heres the full story from the Irish Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Being of Pakistany descent (well Kashmiry to be specific), i hate when people like this give the rest of us a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How many Irish Students don't go to college? when they are supposed to be in college?

Let them work if they want to work. They have to pay college fees as well.

€7000 or so for the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Point is they were given visa's to come here to study, then ditched college got jobs and droped off the face of the earth. Its not like they were working and not turning up to some classes, they just stopped going. If they want working visa's they should apply for em.

If they want working visa's they should apply for em.

It is very hard to get a working visa that prob why they went and got Study Visa's.

WIT should have taken the responsiblity to make such that they where turning up for college. WIT got €7000 from them and they could now careless what they do.

Just in the same manner in which WIT take in too many first year students so that WIT can get a larger grant.

Also their employers also have a responsiblity to make sure that they are only employing them for 20hours and that they only have one employer in Ireland.

They are not taking any money from the state but actually giving money in.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

Elmo wrote:
    Just in the same manner in which WIT take in too many first year students so that WIT can get a larger grant.

Where do you pull such information as this from?

• Advertisement

Most 1st year courses are set at 30 to 60 places WIT take in at least 90 students for each first year course.

Look at the prospectus

More students = bigger grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i think most colleges do that thou, they bring in too many first year students because the reality is that about 12 students will drop out of the class they are in by the end of the year anyhows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Of my 1st year class of about 100 I reckon 50 or 60 actually graduated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

I think there was about 110 in first year in the course i was in when i started and by the time we got to third yr, this yr, only about 25 out of 35 left of us passed i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Elmo, they do that everywhere. How many of the 2000 or so Arts students in UCD that start every year actually graduate? You can bet it's not 2000!

• Advertisement

I will have to check out other colleges prospects to comment.

WIT state that a course has only X (eg 25) amount of places available.

WIT takes in 3X (eg 75) students.

Do other college do the same?, I don't know.

If they do it is wrong they should keep to what they say they are taking.

Generally speaking there is a 50% drop out rate, IMO WIT have a higher rate as they take in too many first years.

Advertisement