Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HOw Much for gear box..

Options
  • 21-07-2005 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Gf's Vw Polo 01 Needs a new Gear Box i no there is alot of work involved but how much Should she be talkin about getting it fixed? Got a Quote from my Local Mech for 700-800.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

My sister had to get a new gearbox put into her Citroen Xsara about 6 weeks ago or so and I think she said it cost her somewhere in the region of 600-650 euros. I'd expect a VW to be that bit more expensive so I think that quote you got probably isn't too far off the mark.

As for the work involved, well, there would be more work involved in rebuilding/repairing the existing box than fitting a new one I reckon so it would probably come out to close enough to the cost of a new one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I got a gearbox with diff rebuilt with steel caged bearings for £350 in Birmingham. That's about €500 and it wasn't bargain of the century either.
    So 700 to 800 for the gearbox in your Polo in Rip off Ireland is probably normal.

Advertisement