Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Roll?

Options
  • 21-07-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

You know that strange meat roll thing with the smiley face on it in the Superquinn deli counter? What do you know it as?

I've always called it Billy Roll. But I have now been questioned on this and it has been suggested that this may just be a Dublin name for it. The only other thing I can think to call it is luncheon meat.

Help me out by voting for whatever you refer to it as where you're from!

Billy Roll? What do you call it? 47 votes

Billy Roll (if you're from Dublin)
    0% 0 votes
    Luncheon Meat (if you're from Dublin)
    48% 23 votes
    Billy Roll (if you're not from Dublin)
    2% 1 vote
    Luncheon Meat (if you're not from Dublin)
    36% 17 votes
    Something Else
    12% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I've seen it tagged as Billy Roll. It's got to be the most unappetising thing possible to buy today. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Yes yes Billy Roll it is - delish:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In Superquinn, the label beside it says Billy Roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Hmmm how does billy translate to mechanically reclaimed meat like product?
    I suppose Billy rolls off the tongue easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I was quite partial to a bit of Billy roll when I was a nipper actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Me too, i used to cut the face into sections with a knife and then eat it. I'd never touch it now, god knows what it's made up off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I've seen this in the deli of my local Tesco as well, though I think it's called Billy Bear roll or something like that (has the face of a bear on it). Always wondered what was in it, to be honest. Looks a bit like luncheon meat, alright, but I don't think it is. Maybe it's kind of a Spam-type thing or a pork and chicken or pork and something else kind of thing, I don't know. Can anyone else enlighten me as to what is in it exactly?

Or, more to the point, what exact part of the animals involved goes into it? For all we know, in the words of Geoff to Hillary Briss in 'The League Of Gentleman's Apocolypse'..........

"I know, I know. It's all bumholes and eyelids!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Up north we call it Billy Bear - something to do with the Orangemen?? :eek: Trying to take us over one way or another!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Thanks for the votes! I think they have proved me right!

All I need to do now is get myself a photo of the little display thing that has Billy Roll on it! And possibly buy some. I've never had it before though and it looks pretty damn disgusting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

they've got a tom and jerry one in dunnes... it'll never Quite beat billy roll though in my mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Me too, i used to cut the face into sections with a knife and then eat it. I'd never touch it now, god knows what it's made up off.
    Is it not made up of prime cuts of Billy himself?
    or is it made from bits of Billy mechanically recovered and moulded?
    I would be on to trading standards straight away if it didn't contain at least 30% Billy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

its pukishus. do not feed on this tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Twas a part of my childhood, cant find it near where i live but the next town has a derivation of it... wages spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

ahh FFS billy roll? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

BILLY ROLL!!!! Wh00t. :) I remember that stuff from the distant memories that are my past. God I loved the stuff by the ma wouldn't get it for me because it was nasty or somesuch.

Can't believe they're selling the stuff. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I live in the town where it is produced...it vial stuff but it is called billy roll

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Batman Billy Roll all the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

You can now get Billy Roll t-shirts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

8 year old thread.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement