Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of Mobile Interference

Options
  • 07-09-2001 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I just discovered and have been noticing regularly that when i have my mobile (Nokia 3330 on 086) close to my comp and it "scans" for a network(like when i turn it on or recieve a txt) my mouse moves across the screen (away from the phone)... If Mobiles can interfer with a computer what the hell do they do to UNSHIELDED Human nurons... I now have moved my phone to the other end of the room and sent a txt msg to it via the net... Still happens... I never turning my phone on again till i need to make a call...

anyone else see this happening
    :try moving the mouse... it accelerates when the interferance accures... This is when it is most noticable...

INFORMATION IS AMMUNITION

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choasengine@dol.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Dosent work for me. Sounds a tad weird, although i do keep my phone off / away from me when it has to be on. I know somone that died from a brain tumor right where they held their phone (they used it a lot). :/ Nasty things, but handy none the less.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did you umm...have the phone on vibrate by any chance? It could have just been shaking the mousemat. The only way for it to move the pointer would for it to send electrical pulses through the mouse cable that correspond exactly to the pulses sent by the mouse itself, or to physically move the mouse, 'cos the screen has no say in where it places the items, let alone move them.

"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." - Albert Einstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by seamus
    Did you umm...have the phone on vibrate by any chance?

Nope... It works with my Siemens c25 also (no vibrate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine

Nope... It works with my Siemens c25 also (no vibrate)

It actually changes the position of your mouse cursor relative to other items on the screen?

-Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

when i get a call or a txt, the screen goes all fuzzy while the signal is being sent / recieved. ive never seen the mouse actually move around the screen though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Moved as it's not really a "science" topic and has a better chance of getting answered in the Technology forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper
    when i get a call or a txt, the screen goes all fuzzy while the signal is being sent / recieved. ive never seen the mouse actually move around the screen though.

This happens with every mobile phone I've seen near a monitor. I assume it's electromagnetic interference... Makes speakers go a bit crazy too...

-Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

nope no effect on my monitor at all...

Phone: Siemens M35i
    Monitor: Compaq S910

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Phones interfere with all electronic equipment afaik when it is sending/receiving signal.

The sound from ur speakers is the signal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

My phone is usually between the speakers and the monitor, very little interference with the monitor when anything happens, but the speakers go nuts. I kinda like the advance warning it gives me just before it rings.. time to pause music, take off headphones and say "brb, phone" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭GenX

Chaos is rite, I got a Nokia 3310 and i have my mobile rite beside my monitor, when sumone is about to ring me or txt me the screen wobbles, and its not the vibration alert,IT is the same interference when you have your mobile near to your radio!

Could be that i buy dodgy equipment!! lol :)

GenX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Being a CRT screen, the wobble is just the electrons being deflected by the radiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

wasn't there research carried out into this.

IIRC, the frequency of the mobile won't affect the adult brain but the brain of a child (less than 12 seemingly) operates on a different frequency - something ot do with it not having passed through puberty i think - and can be interfered with by mobiles.

as far as I know, the american mobiles work on a different freq. than european ones, so I don't know if this applies here, but in america there were calls for improved shielding and/or banning phones for kids.

ps. and yeah, I've seen screen wobbles when someone is getting a call, usually before the phone even lights up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by LoLth

ps. and yeah, I've seen screen wobbles when someone is getting a call, usually before the phone even lights up.

Yeah, probably because the phone is negotiating the call.

Gav

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

With my mitsubishi Trium when I make a call and hold the phone beside the mouse, if I have a browser window open, the page will scroll up and down randomly as if I was using the mouse wheel.

Thats my proof of mobile interference !

Slaanesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aaron_Ragmaan

I just discovered and have been noticing regularly that when i have my mobile (Nokia 3330 on 086) close to my comp and it "scans" for a network(like when i turn it on or recieve a txt) my mouse moves across the screen (away from the phone)... If Mobiles can interfer with a computer what the hell do they do to UNSHIELDED Human nurons... I now have moved my phone to the other end of the room and sent a txt msg to it via the net... Still happens... I never turning my phone on again till i need to make a call...

anyone else see this happening
    :try moving the mouse... it accelerates when the interferance accures... This is when it is most noticable...

Its just interference, its like if you get a walkie talkie to a seven segment display or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Its just interference, its like if you get a walkie talkie to a seven segment display or something.

LOL that thread is nearly 10 years old!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

foghlu wrote: »
    LOL that thread is nearly 10 years old!!!
    Haha, I was thinking people were using some seriously retro phones, Nokia 3310s, Mitsubishi Triums and the like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

And you thought this particular thread was relevant ?! Why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thread is from before I signed up for boards.ie :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement