Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Lads Coming through.

• 21-07-2005 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Any new Irish Players coming up through the ranks and breaking into first team football this season?

Who are the ones to watch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That Shefield Wednesday bloke who plays in the centre of the park, for the life of me I can't remember his name.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

That Shefield Wednesday bloke who plays in the centre of the park, for the life of me I can't remember his name.....

You should know by now...I am on about him enough

Its Glenn Whelan and he will be the future of the Irish midfield! swear boys this lad is pure class, great passer of the ball, knocks in a few goals and he has no problem tackling

Also Joey O'Brien who plays for Bolton, was playing with Glenn last season on loan and the 2 of them where class together....box to box player and full of running.....pops up with a few goals as well

Those 2 look to be the best but Joey should try and get a loan deal this season to try and get first team football...Shef Wed tried to take him back but nothing has been arranged yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mark yates at spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Paul Tierney Man U - going on loan again this season but ferguson says he has high hopes for him.

Sposs wrote:
    Paul Tierney Man U - going on loan again this season but ferguson says he has high hopes for him.

Maybe at beginning of last season......he was released at the end of last season, havent heard if he has a new club!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Darren Potter at Liverpool is one to watch....he played a few games for the pool last season and has started in pre season. He is a skilful central midfielder and an accomplished passer of the ball.He was born in Liverpool but has declared for Ireland,he is one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Sorry got mixed up with Paul Mc Shane :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

paddy cregg @ arsenal! got a few runs in the worthington cup last year, hopefully gonna break in to the first team!

VinnyL wrote:
    paddy cregg @ arsenal! got a few runs in the worthington cup last year, hopefully gonna break in to the first team!

That the striker or who is the young striker at Arsenal who they think so much of???

And of course McGeady at Celtic! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What about Willo Flood are we likely to see any more of him with city this season or is Steven O'Donnell anywhere near getting a look in at Arsenal?

• Advertisement

Willo was on the paper or somewhere the other day talking about trying to get into the City team(before the SWP move) and saying that even thou SWP plays in his prefered position he was hopeful of getting alot more starts this season,.....City have small squad and alot of there midfielders left at end of season so unless Pearce gets in a good few midfielders he will be starting alot of games......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thats good Big Nelly, he looked promising. Is there a Striker at City who's last name is Ireland, he's very young I think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Watch out for Anthony Stokes at Arsenal - hey may get a run-out in the carling cup this season. Very promising player, still only 16 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

elbow316 wrote:
    Watch out for Anthony Stokes at Arsenal - hey may get a run-out in the carling cup this season. Very promising player, still only 16 though.

Is it me, but of all the clubs over the last few seasons with young 'Promising Irish players' Arsenal seems to be the club where the players never seem to make the progression to top class football?

I'm not just talking about the Arsenal team (lord knows that's a closed shop) but making it with another club even.

Year after year it seems to happen there.

P.S Was reading somewhere that of all the professional footballers that sign a professional contract at the age of 17, only 50% of them are still playing professionally at their 21st birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

big nelly: paddy is a centre midfielder, very good player just needs first team footy to show them what he's made of

Culchie wrote:
    P.S Was reading somewhere that of all the professional footballers that sign a professional contract at the age of 17, only 50% of them are still playing professionally at their 21st birthday.

Thats true, was watching a program a few years ago and it was about all the player that where with Becham, SCholes, Neville's and them in the Utd youth team years ago when they where winning everything....some are plumbers and so on!!

Stokes is the striker I was talking about at Arsenal, big things hoped for him but I agree and would rather see him at another club, Cole is the only player that has broke through at Arsenal! and dont mention Senderous because he wasnt bred thru the club like Cole or Stokes so dont count him.....Barratt couldnt get a look in with Arsenal even thou Wenger said he rated it all the time and still wanted him to sign a new contract when he left

@Irish not sure about the striker but Sunderland got Eliott off them last season and we got Whelan so they must have got a good youth setup because the 2 of them are good players and future Irish internationals....well Eliott is already in the fold but WHelan will be there soon

Also Rate Willo, watched him playing against Norwich? last season when he scored and was class in the first half, in second half defence was all over him but still got in some good crosses!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Was at a Forest V Sunderland reserve game last season ( :o I know I know, Maybe I should have been banned from this forum ;) ).

13 of the 22 that started were Rep of Ireland .....t'was great to see.

They seem to have a reasonable track record of players moving on and doing very well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Culchie wrote:
    13 of the 22 that started were Rep of Ireland .....t'was great to see.

Thats some Statistic....must be a record,even if it was "only" a reserve game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

irish1 wrote:
    Thats good Big Nelly, he looked promising. Is there a Striker at City who's last name is Ireland, he's very young I think??
    Stephen Ireland. He made his first start for City yesterday against Bolton, I think he played in midfield but not sure. Had a bust up with Kerr a few years ago and hasn't been in an underage Irish team since.
    elbow316 wrote:
    Is it me, but of all the clubs over the last few seasons with young 'Promising Irish players' Arsenal seems to be the club where the players never seem to make the progression to top class football?
    True but half their reserve team now is Irish. Stepehen O'Donnoll made the most appearances for the reserves last season. Patrick Cregg would have made just as many appearances but for injury. Stokes was partnering Lupoli up front when he broke into the reserve team but moved into midfield when Quincy and Aliadiere were in the team. Still made the 4th highest appearances in the team scoring 8, twice as many as Quincy. There's also Sean Kelly.

Out of the Premiership I'd say Joey O'Brien (Bolton), Timlin (Fulham) and Willo Flood all have the best chance of breaking through.

Keep an eye on Ipswich. 5 of their FA youth cup winning team (ie. 5 of the first 11) were Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Patrick Cregg has been told he can leave Arsenal if a suitable offer comes in.

Stephen Ireland and Willo Flood both played in the asia cup yesterday for Man City against Bolton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I have heard some good things about Patrick Kohlmann who plays for Dortmund in Germany. He's 22 now though and he's listed as an amatuer on the site whereas last season I seem to remember seeing him in the first team squad photo so things may not be so bright for him at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Alan O'Brien of Newcastle(a friend of mine), Paul McShane of Man United(another friend of mine, I boast a lot :D ) and Willo Flood of Man City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Young Alan sheehan from Athlone is highly rated at Leicester city.
    Very good left back, played against him at ADSL level and with him on kennedy cup teams, but he played center mid back then, was always a very good player, was having a kick about with him and ome mutual friends not long ago and was amazed at how much he has progressed in only 2 years, feture irish left full I have no doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sean O Connor ex Crumlin Utd made his Pats debut last night, looked special ran length of the pitch on a few occasions beating all in his way and getting in a cross.

Could be one for the future see how he fares over the rest of the season.

kdjac

Advertisement