Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn GAME - retail store that is!!!

Options
  • 21-07-2005 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

About 3 months ago, for the second time (I'll explain later!) I bought Call of Duty and the expansion United Offensive for €50. I never took it out of the box until last night, and low and behold there is no first disc!!!! Has anyone else ever had this happen to them with GAME? This isn't the first time for me.

It seems I'm destined not to finish Call of Duty as the first time I bought it I gave a lend of it to one of the guys in work. He promptly scratched the first disc, leaving me unable to play/install it again!! Now the second time I've bought it and no first disc.

Does anyone else have a SERIOUS disliking of GAME!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I had to go back,gave me an empty box...and...sounds too much of a coincidencebut i think it was COD also :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Each time you buy something ask them to show you the discs for scratches before you leave the shop.
    Thats what I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Divers wrote:
    Each time you buy something ask them to show you the discs for scratches before you leave the shop.
    Thats what I always do.

Divers- Your right, but ahh well, wasn't thinking that at the time, and usually I'd open it straight away, but as I had played it already I wasn't that excited so just put it to one side!

But NEXT time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

just one question to you guys.

doesn't common sense predict that you check that the discs are in, that are supposed to be in the box?

I mean, come one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah I bought Vietcong months ago, opened it a few weeks back to discover the 1st Disc, although present, was scratched too badly for it to install.

Just download the 1st image off p2p and burn it to disc, not our fault that the game was unplayable after brand new purchase :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Uh oh,this is Console games?

No I was talking about the PC Game. In fairness Gilgamesh, do you check that every single thing you buy is in perfect condition or that all the bits and pieces are there? I mean, EVERYTHing YOU BUY?

I work in retail myself, and I know we always try and make sure everything is how it should be, so I guess I expect that a little from other stores when I buy something from them.
    Perhaps that's a failing on my part, that I expect them to do their job OK without my having to make sure, or second guess their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Ah Game, my mortal foe.
    A similar tale to my own. Back in the day I went to game to but the much anticipated Morrowind with a friend. I had been reading up on it and chatting about it in forums.
    I Had gladly purchased the game and got outside when my friend asked to look at the cd's (not to check if they were there just to behold their glory) Lo and behold an empty box, luckily I was just literally outside the shop so I stormed back in to recieve my cd's (which i subsiquently lost at a later date)

Moral of the story? Always bring a friend whose system is too shoddy to run the game you've both been waiting for. Alternatively check the box, bloody Game shower of SOBs....

eo980. to go into your question,
    I do not check every single bit I purchase, but when I know that the contents has been removed by the retailer, I ALWAYS check everything is in working order and everyhthing is there what I need.

Also, as you work in Retails yourself, one of the first thing you learn when receiving new goods, is to check as soon as possible that everything is okay with it, this can be easily transferred to an end user.

I managed several stores in Germany, while there, I that is where I learnt it from anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've got a good one..

Bought an Apple G4 Powermac... didn't open the box for over a year and then when I set the thing up it refused to boot up. And Apple support wouldn't even talk to me on the phone about the problem as it was out of warranty at this stage and I certainly didn't feel like paying them to take thing back to fix it.

I opened it up and noticed that the second hard drive had been installed poorly and this was stopping it from booting up, so it was easy enough for me to fix myself.

The moral of the story is "Always look in the box!"

• Advertisement

Ehhhh Meh is all I really have to say. True you should perhaps check everytime, but in all honesty most people don't. For a variety of reasons I'm sure, too busy, get distracted, are too lazy, whatever it might be. Yeah I'm annoyed at GAME, but I'm annoyed at myself too!! I could have brought it back, I wouldn't have been too bothered about that- but 3 months later I don't think so!! And I'm annoyed as it's the 2nd time I've bought the damn game!!!

It is impossible though as a retailer to check everything thoroughly as you can be talking about thousands of products a week. I can't see my lot here employing someone just to see that everything is as it should be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Think thats bad monkeyfudge?

New Pc for my sister christmas day, unpack it and set it up, damn thing won't work.

Why?

Dell didn't connect ANYTHING inside the case. HD, CD, DVD, psu, etc, nothing connected to the mobo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I've got a good one..

Bought an Apple G4 Powermac... didn't open the box for over a year

eehhh...i'm wonderin why but almost afraid to ask....

imho, the only thing GAME did wrong in this case, is not to be as carefeul as they should have, but as you said, they have tons of stock and 1 in even a 100 cases where they don't put the right discs in or even miss it out completely is still acceptable.
    the rest is up the to the buyer.

I didn't mean open up every single box I get and check to the inch that everything is in, but, and I think you have to agree in this, when a box has been opened of somethign you bought, should be an indicator that you should check the contents. if the box is still sealed, it's a different story alltogether, but when I personally buy something, I always check, latest point, is when I get home or maybe the day after, but 3 MONTHS???? what the hell did you buy it for in the first point??? hehe

Divers wrote:
    eehhh...i'm wonderin why but almost afraid to ask....
    haha... Didn't you know Apple Macs are like fine wines? You have to allow them time to mature before opening the box.

Actually I bought 3 of the things and I hadn't got space at the time for the third one. Oh.. and it was the master/slave settings on the HD that were out, in case anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Dell didn't connect ANYTHING inside the case. HD, CD, DVD, psu, etc, nothing connected to the mobo :rolleyes:

Exact same thing here

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I always check, latest point, is when I get home or maybe the day after, but 3 MONTHS???? what the hell did you buy it for in the first point??? hehe
    But the trouble these days is that there are alot of great games that are released these days that just disappear off the shelves a few weeks after launch and never come back into stock. So lately I find myself snapping stuff up even though I have absolutely no time to play it for a good while.

I'd love to see game shops and game sections in shops to be a bit more like the DVD sections in HMV and Tower et al. You shouldn't be tied into only being able to really select from new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Here's some advice for dealing with GAME: instead of picking up the empty box and getting them to stick in their crappy scratched discs, just ask the clerk to get the game and they should go back and bring out a lovely shrink-wrapped copy.

Yeah it's true about games disappearing quickly. I've wanted to buy Farcry and Doom III for the last month or so but can't seem to find them anywhere in town. And I don't have a credit card, can't be arsed, so that rules out online shopping.

Gilgamesh, indeed I do agree with you. You are correct in what you say, but it's still a pain in the butt. Funnily though one of the first replies was that someone else had bought COD in GAME and the disc was missing.

OK why I bought it and didn't look at it for 3 months. I got myself a new girlfriend and moved into a new flat. The flat didn't have a desk, so I only just recently bought a desk and started playing games again. So took out COD and here we are.
    Tragically I haven't used my PC very much in the last 4-5 months.

eo980 wrote:
    I got myself a new girlfriend and moved into a new flat.

did she have all the discs with her? :D
    did you reutrn the old gf? :D

guess it was just bad luck then, but I do kinda think it a bit unfair t ogo off at GAME for the huge delay you had for checking the contents.

I mean, they would have corrected the problem after all if you would have been in a reasonable time.

OR..... we could blame your new girlfriend for distracting you ROFL :D

• Advertisement

Gilgamesh wrote:
    did she have all the discs with her? :D
    did you reutrn the old gf? :D

guess it was just bad luck then, but I do kinda think it a bit unfair t ogo off at GAME for the huge delay you had for checking the contents.

I mean, they would have corrected the problem after all if you would have been in a reasonable time.

OR..... we could blame your new girlfriend for distracting you ROFL :D

Yup your right, it was an excessive time. But in fairness, ideally they should have been there anyway, and it's not the first time.
    Yes I think we should blame the girlfriend, especially when she see's videogames as being pointless and childish!! *Sigh* What do I have to do for an easy existence!!!

eo980 wrote:
    *Sigh* What do I have to do for an easy existence!!!

buy another copy of COD...... AND CHECK THE CONTENTS!!!!!! :D

actually i might have COD lying around somewhere at home which I don't need.
    will have a look for you.

oh yeah, and the gf thing, not liking computer games, might want to bring that up in PI ROFL

Hey 3rd time I don't think so, even if I'm lucky! Well that is decent of you, but I insist I give you something for it. I don't want to give the wrong impression. I was miffed at GAME.

I was thinking of posting it in PI, but I'm scared of Beruthiel!!!

eo980 wrote:
    but I insist I give you something for it.

give me your GF, at least you can play COD in peace and quiet :p

Hmnnn ***** Tempted ******
    Hang on, just running down to discuss the idea with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Or how about you get a GF that likes Call of Duty? :p

eo980 wrote:
    Hmnnn ***** Tempted ******
    Hang on, just running down to discuss the idea with her!

-->Slap<--

OK so she didn't like that idea, sorry Gilgamesh!!

Ahh she's not so bad rainbow, at least I can try and convert her, corrupt her little mind!!!

did you tell her I live in a penthouse?? LOL

ah well, back to the dating game again, hehe

will let you know if I find the disc

• Advertisement

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Advertisement