Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mbps Home Internet Service Next Year in Finland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Yea, But we have way better speeds in Ireland.... Ripwave for one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It's good to see my country men kicking asss..
    Based on our research, 30 megabits per second is the absolute minimum in future homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

proteus wrote:

I don't think they could do 100mb but their system as it is right now is capable of over 10mb.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't think they could do 100mb but their system as it is right now is capable of over 10mb.

Well I assume NTL is using EuroDOCSIS, so it is capable of 51 Mbit/s per channel, of course that is shared amongst the other users attached to the same node, so really depends on how many users you have per node, your backhaul capacity and contention ratio.

With the new standard, DOCSIS 3 it will be capable of up to 160 Mbit/s (shared again), it can do this by bonding a couple of channels together.

Really these high download speeds aren't really that necessary, the only reason why you might want such high download speeds is to carry streaming High Definition video (VoD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bk wrote:
    Well I assume NTL is using EuroDOCSIS, so it is capable of 51 Mbit/s per channel, of course that is shared amongst the other users attached to the same node, so really depends on how many users you have per node, your backhaul capacity and contention ratio.

With the new standard, DOCSIS 3 it will be capable of up to 160 Mbit/s (shared again), it can do this by bonding a couple of channels together.

Really these high download speeds aren't really that necessary, the only reason why you might want such high download speeds is to carry streaming High Definition video (VoD).

<10Mbps would do HDTV with the right Codec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Then youd be trading bandwidth for making everyone buy a high end PC / expensive non-existant receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

bk wrote:

wow you know so much bk.

EuroDOCSIS, is that a protocol or what is it?

and about the topic, sigh, guys don't worry! eircom will provide 100 megs by year 3000, and of course it will have an ENORMOUS and GENEROUS cap of 20GB per month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CyberGhost wrote:
    wow you know so much bk.

Thanks, I don't have any inside info on NTL's network or anything, I have just done a lot of reading about BB technology as I'm interested in it.
    CyberGhost wrote:
    EuroDOCSIS, is that a protocol or what is it?

Yes it is the standard for BB over cable, it is to the cable companies what DSL is to the Telcos. It stands for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification.

EuroDOCSIS is the european variant of the US Docsis 1.0/1.1 standard. The difference is that in the US, a single analogue TV channel uses 6 MHz of the radio spectrum, and that the BB comes down one single channel.

However in europe a single analogue TV channel uses 8 MHz, because the PAL TV system used in europe is better then the US NTSC system and therefore requires more bandwidth. Because of this EuroDOCSIS can make use of the extra 2MHz to offer a higher total (shared) speed in Europe :)

DOCSIS 3.0 is the new upcoming standard that will use 4 (6/8MHz) channels bonded together to offer higher speeds :)

Then youd be trading bandwidth for making everyone buy a high end PC / expensive non-existant receiver.

Not true, everything needs to be encrypted, a RAW HD TV stream is something like 50MB/s, that simply isn't feasible on any normal residential network, not even with fiber. Currrently I assume that NTL Digital TV uses MPEG2 encoding and that the NTL digital boxes are MPEG2 decoders, these boxes aren't particularly expensive and neither will the new MPEG4 decoder boxes needed for HD.

crawler wrote:
    <10Mbps would do HDTV with the right Codec.

I have heard some people quote as low as 4Mbps, but IMHO that sounds mad, maybe if you are only encoding QVC and The God Channel :)

9Mbs seems to be about the optimum, particularly for fast moving sports coverage.

However the problem is that the 9Mbs needs to be dedicated, so if you are running off a shared node with 56Mbps capacity, you can only have about 6 VoD streams going at the same time :(

That is why Verizon in the US is rolling out Fiber To The Home (FTTH) to all it's customers. It believes it needs to be able to deliver 3 - 4 dedicated 9Mbps streams to each home, as many people might have a few TV's in their home and will want to watch different TV channels at the same time.

Of course cable companies won't have such a big problem as Verizon, this is because cable companies can already offer hundreds of digital TV channels, so for at least the next few years they will probably only need to offer one VoD stream per home for special events and movies and it won't be used for typical TV viewing unlike the Verizon system, simply because it doesn't need tom, specially if you have PVRs and some clever forward planning (pre-caching of content, etc.).

• Advertisement
Advertisement