Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

html frames and iframes

Options
  • 21-07-2005 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem regarding frames and iframes.

I am developing a site for a guy who insists in not having a cms :mad:

What he wants to do is to use some software that he has to autogenerate his pages for displaying images.

This outputs a frame with two children, on the left is a large image and on the right is a page of thumbnails which, when clicked, will populate the left child with the bigger version of the thumbnail.

To fit all this into the new design I figured the easiest way to go is to use an iframe and use the relevant fram as the src for the iframe.

So far so good, all this works quite well.

My problem is that he wishes to provide a purchase option for his images. To do this I need to find out what the image is in the left child frame of the parent frame that is the src for the iframe.

I have an idea how to do it in a normal frame scenario. It's just with this added level of the iframe I am stumped.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Tricky one to get one's head around.

firstly iframes are nasty from an SEO point of view.

For each image could you have a purchase link with some id in the params to link to a cart page (no frames).

If you could post the URL it would be great cause its very hard to explain..ive made a shambles of this post :P

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

marcphisto wrote:
    Hi all,

I am developing a site for a guy who insists in not having a cms :mad:

Then how the heck is he gonna manage/rotate his content? Christ end users drive me nutty sometimes.
    Your looking at an awkward fix here far as I can see. What about a text link under the child images? (From the main left frame?)

and as mentioned - frames will equal yucky seo returns in the first place. Add in iframes to that and the results will be diabolical to say the least.

Get more feedback then show the end user - I think he may change his mind - to your benefit of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

The muppet is uploading his files via ftp. It's just a nightmare. I would never have agreed to it but my boss did so I'm now stuck with it. :mad:

The easiest way of getting his content into the template we've designed is through the iframe. I'm not sure what to do with it to be honest :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

other than using php includes or some such - I sympathise with you. Has me beat..saying that there was something with frames where you could click on a link and have content display in the content side I looked at a few years ago. had the same prob in it would work then not. Drove me batty so it did and I dumped frames not long after.

oh hang on summit that might help ...http://www.trybalink.net/wayfarer/restoring_wayfarer/frameset.htm one of my pages. You should be able to move the bottom child frame to the left and propagate your images to there.
    clicking on the botto, image displays the larger image in main content area. That what your looking for?

ok you can view source for the frame code of that page. I used adobe photoshop elements to make them btw I'll attach a .zip of the folder for you.
    anyway construct like so
    index.htm (main content - large image)
    frameset.htm (bottom frame content - thumbnails)
    three folders
    images
    pages
    thumbnails

src code/pages are in the attached .zip

hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

Thanks smeggle, but what I have to contend with is that structure placed in an iframe. If it was simply that structure then I would be able to use some javascript to get at the child content frame but it's the fact that there is another layer of (i)frame on top of this again that has me confounded. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement