Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ to java any advice

Options
  • 21-07-2005 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Anyone know where i can find a good tutorial in java.

I've been learning C++ in colege but next yr its java though id get a jump start and suggestions would be appriciated >

thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 philh1

I picked up Java from C++ myself, although a good few years ago now. I know its not a tutorial, but the book that made it easy for me was Java In A Nutshell, by O'Reilly. Their Nutshell books are usually good, and this was an excellent introduction to Java, making the assumption that you know the basics of a structured programming language (so they don't have to laboriously explain what an 'if' statement does).

PHiL

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd recommend Sun's own Java tutorial. It's free and on the web and it covers all the important basics and is reasonably well done - I certainly learnt Java from it rather than my awful lecturer. It doesn't assume basics, but you can skim over those...

There are specific books for migrating from C++ to Java but I'd imagine you're not a major C++ programmer, so that tutorial should do you fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I think I learnt from Peter Nortons book (was actually an ebook, I managed to get my hands on) and it was for linux programming in java (though that dont matter java's platform independent), found it good. Sun's tutorial is also pretty good, if you have a good understanding of OO, know the difference between statics and non-statics in an OO concept, then you should be up and running with Java in a couple of days.

Advertisement