Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading to Pro

• 21-07-2005 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hello i have an Hp Pavillion Notebook ze4410ea, but just wondering i have xp home on it would it be a good idea / bad idea to upgrade to xp pro just threw the cd upgrade or should i fresh install xp pro but i was wondering also would there be problems with drivers and such

any help would be most greatful thanks

Hp Pavillion ze4410ea
    xp home
    1.8ghz Mobile Amd AthlonXP
    512gig ram
    Radeon Mobile
    all the usual etcs :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you may have probs with drivers. Usually you can work around this by probing the hardware and going directly to the manufacturer's (of the component) website.

TBH, unless you plan encrypting your files or joining a network domain. XP Pro has little advantage other than those. It does however, have a shed load of extra services that may help hog your resources even more!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hello i have an Hp Pavillion Notebook ze4410ea, but just wondering i have xp home on it would it be a good idea / bad idea to upgrade to xp pro just threw the cd upgrade or should i fresh install xp pro but i was wondering also would there be problems with drivers and such

any help would be most greatful thanks

Hp Pavillion ze4410ea
    xp home
    1.8ghz Mobile Amd AthlonXP
    512gig ram
    Radeon Mobile
    all the usual etcs :D

For anyone who is confused: The upgrade version actually includes the full version but the 'reduced' price recognises that you have already paid for previous products. The upgrade version checks for an installed version before it will progress to an install. If you want to do a fresh install why not check for all the necessary updated drivers and either download them to another partition or to say a USB drive. Dont forget that XP includes a lot of drivers anyways. If you visit www.drivershq.com it will give you an idea of what drivers you will need to look out for in case you dont know already and
    here lists the differences between the two versions and a google search gives lots of other sites too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

If its still under warranty it would be a bad idea as your manufacturer will only support the original operating system supplied, as mentioned above there is little extra and it dose hog more resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I'd disagree that there is little extra involved with Pro, I think there is a lot extra with it, but in any case if you dont know why you specifically want to upgrade then I'd almost leave it.

Advertisement