Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANY Uncapped Fixed DSL Service

• 21-07-2005 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Yo,

I have been searching for an ISP that provides an uncapped DSL service for the past 2 weeks. Now nearly everything i've come accross has some kind of CAP or Limit... The term "Broadband" even being applied to the dsl technology available in Ireland is also a bit of a contradiction... The true Broadband services available in Ireland are those only to be found on the fibre networks such as Heanet, which connect the educational institutions in Ireland, such as U.L, U.C.C, U.C.D. With data rates of over 100mbit in BOTH directions, this can be considered as a true Broadband connection. With home download speeds of maybe 1/2mbit down and a ridiculous 128/256kbit up speed, this can only be considered as a fast connection to the internet...And then Irish ISPs expect everyone to see these Caps and Limits as plausible, with the services they are providing? For example, for €44 you can get a cap of 40GB, and then for €100, you can get a Cap of 60GB.. Now the difference in download speed is 1mbit to 3mbit...and an extra 20GB is supposed to cover this increase in speed? On a 1mbit connection, it is possible to have approximately 259GB downloaded in 30 days. Now this is on a maxed out 1mbit connection constantly downloading. Imagine what it is like for 3mbit? 777GB! A 60GB limit looks pathetic in respect... These values are calculated from the highest caps available for those prices.

Finally, in relation to the topic, I would like to start this thread to highlight the TRUE UNCAPPED dsl services in Ireland, whether it is residential or business.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Yo,
    Finally, in relation to the topic, I would like to start this thread to highlight the TRUE UNCAPPED dsl services in Ireland, whether it is residential or business.

Thanks!

Irish Broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I think most people would agree with me when I say that I was talking about a real ISP, not IBB... :) I don't really want any wireless services available either, just the usual cable into the phone socket dsl...thanks!

I'm only suggesting fixed dsl, and not wireless, because fixed is probably more available to people in the whole of the country than wireless..and Satellite connections are a joke and way too expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

I think most people would agree with me when I say that I was talking about a real ISP, not IBB... :) I don't really want any wireless services available either, just the usual cable into the phone socket dsl...thanks!

Hey I getting 969k/950k on a 1024k/1024k line i think thats be pretty impressive wireless or not!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It depends on how much you are prepared to pay. If you have enough money you can have fibre to the home. A compromise might be SDSL with dedicated bandwidth. This will still set you back a fair bit but you can download 24/7 because that is what you are paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im with Digiweb on the Bizjet enhanced package 3mb down 256kbs up
    really happy with it and no download cap.

www.digiweb.ie

• Advertisement

SkepticOne wrote:
    It depends on how much you are prepared to pay. If you have enough money you can have fibre to the home. A compromise might be SDSL with dedicated bandwidth. This will still set you back a fair bit but you can download 24/7 because that is what you are paying for.

It may be what WE are paying for, but look at other countries. At least there are residential packages available to people that are uncapped. There is not 1 uncapped service available to residential users in Ireland, unless it is a business package.

Still n all its there if you want it.

someday we will have a proper service.............????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It may be what WE are paying for, but look at other countries. At least there are residential packages available to people that are uncapped. There is not 1 uncapped service available to residential users in Ireland, unless it is a business package.
    For downloading literally 24/7 I think dedicated bandwidth is really needed. Most of the residential services in Ireland and other countries utilise bandwidth sharing of some sort. Unfortunately dedicated bandwidth can work out a little expensive for some wallets.

ricey wrote:
    Im with Digiweb on the Bizjet enhanced package 3mb down 256kbs up
    really happy with it and no download cap.

www.digiweb.ie

I don't know if they have just introduces caps, but there is a cap on the website for that service now, and everytime i call they tell me that there is a cap. Now they do state that you wont be charged for going over the cap, but "will be put on a restricted line". I think this is the offer i will go for, seeing the contract term is only 6 months as well...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL has a 3m/300k product with a 40GB cap which isn't really enforced. Good value for money compared to the Eircom products IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Huh cheek IBB do a great job.... for myself and a handful of other lads in here that is :p im always getting my 2mb down and 2Mb up

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Huh cheek IBB do a great job.... for myself and a handful of other lads in here that is :p im always getting my 2mb down and 2Mb up
    It's a sweet life ;)

But then again, according to Wolverine_1999, it's not real broadband :(
    Well, I guess I'll just have to live with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

Smarttelecom.ie

I don't know if they have just introduces caps, but there is a cap on the website for that service now, and everytime i call they tell me that there is a cap. Now they do state that you wont be charged for going over the cap, but "will be put on a restricted line". I think this is the offer i will go for, seeing the contract term is only 6 months as well...

Be Jesus UNCAPPED REAL BROADBAND IN KERRY....HE...HE
    What will we think of next...lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Smart and Netsource have no Cap, I have had both (currently on Smart) with no problems. But nether of them are Broadband by Wolverine_1999's new Deffinition ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MrB wrote:
    Smart and Netsource have no Cap, I have had both (currently on Smart) with no problems. But nether of them are Broadband by Wolverine_1999's new Deffinition ;)

Netsource does have a cap and Smart includes stuff in their contract about being able to take action if you "abuse" the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

If you live near dungarvan Co. Waterford you are set, or even if you fell like moving here.

9mbit down and 500bit up for e40 per month with no cap. although they actually give you a bit more bandwith than advertised as i will show

caseyspeed.jpg

I think i might move to waterford.....honestly!

yo Fionn,

That's looking like the stuff of the real world now! Jaysus, you're way past any minimum requirements for BB anyway...You could probably set up a LAN with your Cool Cultchy Cable Waterford line :P

Advertisement