Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag Lists???

Options
  • 21-07-2005 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this but i will go ahead anyway.

Just bought a new house and was promised that the kitchen would be finished 2 weeks ago on 11th July. Went up had a look on Sat 16th July and it was half done. Rang builder on Monday said it would be finished on Tuesday.
    Made arrangements then to have snag done today Thursday at 6.30pm. Went up and the kitchen is still half done. But also he didn't leave the key with security etc etc so the lady doing the snag cannot get in !! :mad:

Rang builder and he said he left it with someone then rang back and said he couldn't get through to anyone !!!

I am a bit pissed off as he promised the key for the snag and now we will have to wait for some day next week.Thank God the person who is doing the snag is a friend of the family and lived local so no big dezal really but i just want everything sorted.

Is there anything i can do to quicken the process???
    Am i right to be annoyed or am i just actint the cnut ? :o

TIA
    Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just keep the pressure on him I suppose. Is it a big development? If so then there could be a couple of dozen houses being closed at the same time. If thats the case then he who shouts loudest will get served first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just keep the pressure on him I suppose. Is it a big development? If so then there could be a couple of dozen houses being closed at the same time. If thats the case then he who shouts loudest will get served first.

Its not a big development really. Most house are finished and people living in them.He just rang me again and said we needed a "certificate of completion2 before he did the snag!!! I live with a house of builders and they all broke their heart laughing cos they said thats whats given to someone to let them move into a house !! :mad:

I am just getting pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

There isnt really a whole lot you can do to speed things up. You are at the mercy of the builders to finish. The one thing I will advise you of is dont close the sale (ie hand over the money) until you are satisfied because once you do it will be next to impossible to get them to fix anything. You will also come under pressure from your solicitor to close but stand your ground. Your solicitor works for you. Dont pay him either until the whole thing is sorted.
    However, expect only the major items to be fixed, they arent going to repaint a wall, or move a socket....etc

I waited 6 months for my apt to be finished after I got notice of closing from the builders. I got notice after notice of how they were going to charge me interest if I didnt close but I had floors that were sloping terribly among other things and I absolutely refused to close until they fixed it. It almost ended up in court and it was only after I had filed papers with the courts to sue the builders over breach of building standards that they fixed it within the week.

Seriously, the only power you have is not to hand over money until you are satisfied.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

homeOwner wrote:
    However, expect only the major items to be fixed, they arent going to repaint a wall, or move a socket....etc

Actually if the paint finish is poor or the sockets are crooked, make sure that you do include them on your snag list. It's your one & only chance to get everything right. Allow them 5 working days to complete your snag list and then chase them for an inspection date. If anything hasn't been attended to, highlight it & give it back to the builder. Repeat as necessary until everything has been done.

A friend of mine was waiting almost 8 weeks for the builders to attend to her snag & they were feckin' dreadful. Only for the fact I knew the contracts manager & made a call, she'd still be waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Well good luck if you can get them to do small things like that but dont be surprised if they dont. The builders in my place were awful and I didnt have the luxury of have a contact to help me. I went through 6 months of hell just to get them to fix sloping floors which were totally outside building standards.

Persistence is key when dealing with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

homeOwner wrote:
    Well good luck if you can get them to do small things like that but dont be surprised if they dont.

Make sure they do, a snag list should include all the minor points. No matter how trivial the builder thinks they are you should make them look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The final finish is actually really expensive to get right. That's why builders hate snag lists. Many hire other companies to do it now because it is more cost efficent. Don't let a single thing slide as you will see it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thank you all for your replies. It seems it was not just me in this situation. I will defo not hand over the money yet and still have not paid the solicter yet so thank you all again i feel a bit better about this now. :)

Advertisement