Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Too Slowwwwwwwww

• 21-07-2005 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Are there any other victims out there suffering with extremely slow download speeds with their ( laughing ) supposed 2mb service.

I'm linked to the SIAC mast in Clondalkin.

Please advise !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Have a quick look at previous threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I was sure ther was a search button somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I'm on SIAC also.

Irishbroadband are now just taking the piss with their product. I may as well be on dial up. I've been suffering for months and have called and emailed them several times.

They admitted to me they are oversubscribed in this area and the problems won't get fixed until they have new high sites up and running at Park West. they said it would be 2 weeks but it's now been 3 months. I've been on the phone to them constantly for the last 2 months and every time been promised a call back. I have NEVER had a call back. It's a ****ing discrace that they still have the balls to take money out of my account each month for this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I has hoped to get a VoIP service once we got the BB in.
    But IBB are just too unstable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

I have already seen the other threads. Unfortunately I did not see them prior to getting IBB installed at home.

I already had the pleasure of wasting money hanging on the customer service line, also 3 emails which after 2 weeks have yet to receive a response.

My original post was just to enquire if anyone esle on the SIAC mast was suffering with extreme slow down during the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

if it is so bad then why in the hell are ye still with them???
    thats what i would like to know.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ricey wrote:
    Probably the 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

*sigh* and I just tried to tell you all about how big a con most of it is and you can easily get 16mbps download speeds via your ordinary sky dish!

Most of the con comes in the fact that 90% of users only need download speed not upload. webmasters need that really though it does help for e-mail attachments to have that little xtra. ISDN is perfect for this but again here comes the con.

customer: Can I have ISDN please
    operator: yep no problem - go's through all the bumf
    customer: a second line? that I pay for? emm you never said that in the advertising?

Actually Eircom (being the initial main line provider in Ireland), had us over a bit on this one. They offered a service that was technically unavailable unless you got a second line. One line is utilised as an 'Allways On' connection and the second (Generally your original line) was bundled when not in ordinary use and utilised to transfer data, hence increasing data transfer speeds. It would be simply dropped if an incoming call was detected and re-utilised at the end of the call.

Technically though, the second line, whilst needing to be paid for, should have been as part of the one of instalation cost not charged on a bi-monthly basis as is practice. The second line is required for the service to work and as such cannot be seen as an individual item or as a secondary item. ISDN will not work without it (at the higher 128kpbs speed) and so unless it is part of a bundled package, technically ISDN cannot to be said to be an available product. That is false and misleading advertising.

Due to the monopolization on lines, other companies are still restricted in the services they can offer. Where we are, we were promised broadband last year - it's gonna be at least another year or two before we get it and then only at 512kpbs download.

Mobile G3 networks just being launched are ok for speed but totally cost prehibitive. yeah, I'd love 53mbps but at what cost? Most of it's just extortion IMHO, especially the bandwidth jk.

I know for fact that you can get 16mbps download speeds at 50yoyo's a mnth. and simply through any standard sky dish!! So broadband download speeds could be made available any where in the country at far less cost than is currently being expended. Oh and btw, thats on unlimited bandwith, no 'Fair Usage Policy, No caps - just straight unlimited all for the one cost per mnth.

Currently I have satelite two way, which is supposed to be unlimited bandwidth ...but with a fair usage policy 3gigs down then your speed is capped. It's kinda strange that I could utilise a far cheaper company, get a vastly higher speed of transferal and with no limits as to how much I transfer?

I suppose I have a particular beef about this issue and trying to utilise com-reg is just a waste of time. There so restricted in what they can actually do it's a jk..

Anyway stuff em - there are other options available and if you utilise some of the many cheaper phone services now available you can have guaranteed 16mbps download speeds - actually for what the majority pay for the standard adsl 512kpbs you can have 4mbps and thats anywhere in the country, long as you have a sky dish or just bye one, there ten a penny these days.

Not gonna tell you where or how as I've allready had the info labelled as spam, sorry that was unintentional and not intended, but it is there - just do a search for it

My main question if I was to ask personally would be, in the light of that evidence, is just what is going on? And what if any think the monoplies board are going to do about it?

Probably nothing as per usual - Another tribunal to wash it all under the carpet...

yes but sat sytems are not good for gaming play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Thats an impressive ramble smeggle!!!

• Advertisement

ricey wrote:

It's the only thing some of us can get. On the odd occassion it works it's good. Unfortunately thats very rare,

I'm one of the lucky ones :D

I also do a lot of web and graphic design, not to mention live server coding, and it's pretty much the reason I got IBB 1MB up/down as opposed to a 2MB down 128 up. I had Esat before and uploading was unbearable.

I'd cancel the direct debit long before I got "tired" of any bs they'd give me. Time is money after all, and every hour that I'm not online is potentially revenue lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Adey2002 wrote:
    It's the only thing some of us can get. On the odd occassion it works it's good. Unfortunately thats very rare,
    Thats no excuse for letting them rip you off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Number of reasons which are....

12 month contract
    When it works, it does work very well ( 75% of the time )
    Did not want to have fixed landline in house ( wife is addicted to phone, large bills in past )

Having said that if the service becomes totally unreliable I will act no matter what the contract states.

i suppose i can understand most of the reasons
    but why stay in a 12month contract it just dont
    make any sence.

i suppose why i care so much is im real tempted to get in IBB for 1 reason only
    the upload speed, but all this talk is putting me off ya know.

is it worth it, should i get IBB? Im in limerick dont know anyone that has it here
    and i think most of there problems are in dublin?

Have you read the Term and Conditions you signed in the contract? No where does it state anything about Contention, That you shouldnt recieve full speed etc etc so IBB are breaking the contract so it would be easy enough to get out of it. No where does it state anything about your speeds, so they are offering 2mb so you should indeed get 2mb. I said it to them and they were like OOOOOoooooooooooo We didnt no that.
    CuLT wrote:
    Probably the 12 month contract.

well said powerhousedan.

sale sharks coming up dan come on MUNSTER! ! !

People may correct me if i am wrong but i have checked this out.

Have you read the Term and Conditions you signed in the contract? No where does it state anything about Contention, That you shouldnt recieve full speed etc etc so IBB are breaking the contract so it would be easy enough to get out of it. No where does it state anything about your speeds, so they are offering 2mb so you should indeed get 2mb. I said it to them and they were like OOOOOoooooooooooo We didnt no that.
    It doesn't say that you should either 0_o

I'm saying that the reason people stick with it is because of the contract. There aren't many people willing to kick up enough fuss if their connection goes to the dogs.

I am not one of those people, I kick and scream and fight tooth and nail if I don't get what I pay for from something.

I have had IBB for over 12months even if I were still in the first 12 months I could cancel and say they broke the contract by not providing the service they sold to me.

The reason I am still with them is because there is no other alternative, no eircom, no esat, no NTL, my choice is ...

IBB
    56k modem

Most of the time the 56k modem would be faster. IBB have just oversold their product and Aaron from IBB's "support" department has told me that is the case on several occassions. This "problem" won't get fixed until a new antenna goes live at Park West in "2 weeks" (quote from Aaron 2 months ago). It's just gone 1am and my connection is good, I wouldn't say perfect but it's actually usable and if it was this way for the last 7 hours I would be happy. Unfortunately my use of the internet isn't between 1am and 8am, if it were, I would have no complaints.

I hope IBB realise that Aaron's empty promises of a simple call back to me for the last 3 months about this problem has cost them 6 customers so far and I hope my continued complaints on boards.ie will stop others that actually have a choice of provider from making the mistake of going with Uselessbroadband.

I have seen a few people on boards who are happy with IBB for the first 3 weeks but then start to get problems and start to complain.

I would be delighted to discuss my problems with an IBB representative publicly here on boards.ie. God knows i've tried the email process and telephone so many times it's cost me half as much as the monthly subscription just holding on their support line.

Just to rub it in a little more they are still charging me for the 512 8-1 contention at 48.40 even though I was up(down)graded to the 1Meg connection 6 months ago. So at the moment, I'm paying the equivalent of a 2Mb connection for a 1Mb connection I'm not actually getting unless I am using it after 1am.

Sorry for big rant, but I really do not know what else to do.

• Advertisement

don worry adey i need to here your advice mate.

still do you think it might be ok in limerick?
    dont think there would be 2 many people
    on IBB in Limerick well defo not as many as
    in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

zuma wrote:
    Thats an impressive ramble smeggle!!!

yeah - mention of broadband and eircom has that affect somehow :D

Ricey There wasnt that many in Cork when i joined and i wish i didnt for your sake i wouldnt bother there is a small number of people happy with IBB, Masts will get over loaded, More companys will joined and More p2p Downloaders Cause of the Upload and No Cap but its up to you.

With Regards to the Contract and doesnt say you should. They Are Advertising and 2 Mb Connection Which they are false Advertising, Your Paying 49Euro a Month for a 2Mb Line Which your not getting, If it was the case it doesnt say you should get full speeds which isent in any contract but about reduced service is Ibb Could decide to Advertise a 3/4Mb Connection But we would still have the same speeds so that would also be false advertising. They have 2 More Days to Reply to my Complaint if they dont I am cancelling my contract, if they wish to take action let them cause i am within my rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah its been muck. It got worse when they went to 2 meg. Trying to compete when they couldent. A friend of mine canceled his IBB yesterday and the guy on the phone had the cheak to ask him why? He told him to read his history. Ive stoped ringing them as its a waste of time, I just come to this forum to bitch about them as i know they read this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'm with IBB on the SIAC high site. I also am waiting to be placed on the Park West mast. Problem is, that PW high site might just get as crowded as the Siac.

Anyway, I was getting really bad speeds and pings upto about two months ago. Then all of a sudden I was getting about 2Mb down, 6Mb up. This was consistent until about a week or so ago, then it went down to only 1.6Mb each way. And this is on a 1Mb connection. I haven't been upgraded yet.

Pings to boards.ie are generally in the 9ms to 12 ms range and very rarely go over 20ms.

Yesterday was bad. I was getting <500Kb ul/dl yesterday. There have been about 3 days like that for me in the past month or two.

They do seem to have cleaned up my connection but they DO have ME over a barrel. I need the upload speed for work. The minimum upload speed I would accept is about 500kb, pretty much every other type of BB product is out the window. 500Kb is the absolute minimum. I will be upgraded to their 3Mb product soon. Yes still waiting a few months.... Maybe when the PW switch happens.

For those of you who are having problems with IBB, don't use EMail as first contact. Everyone knows that the majority of EMails sent to IBB do not get answered. I complained enough over the past 6 or 7 months that I know have a direct line into one of their good tech guys [and no, you're not getting his number or his name. He's mine :)]

We are working through my problems together. If I have a problem, I ring him. He sorts things out temporarily which allows me to get my work done. This is all on the premise that Park West will resolve my issues. I just hope they don't move too many people to PW.

* EDIT * : One of the main reasons that I have a direct line into their support was because I was getting p'd off having to explain my problem history to a different guy every time I rang up. The amount of times I downloaded an iso off ESAT FTP just to prove to them that I was having problems... It was getting beyond a joke. Like, I wouldn't be ringing them if I WASN'T having problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Its still a bad way to do busniess. You are working from home and are not getting a great service what hope have the average user if you are being f'ed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

IrishTLR wrote:
    I complained enough over the past 6 or 7 months that I know have a direct line into one of their good tech guys [and no, you're not getting his number or his name. He's mine :)]

awww please, we could all ring the same person and shout at him until ibb realise that their service is poopoo

I fully agree. Without going into too much detail, at the height of my troubles I even emailed 3 times, and requested over the phone at least twice, that I wanted my contract terminated. This was met with no response through email, or dodged response over the phone.

Now, in my heart of hearts, I didn't want to cancel my contract as I really need the upload speed. But I was willing to downgrade to DSL as I have that at home and was workable, once I didn't do VoIP. But that would have bumped up my monthly phone bill as I ring people world wide via an American tele-server.

But it was at the point of telling them to cancel my contract, that things really started moving in the right direction for me.

madrab wrote:
    awww please, we could all ring the same person and shout at him until ibb realise that their service is poopoo

Not the point I was making at all.

The point I was making was, by me talking to the same person and ONLY that person, I got my issues dealth with and resolved quickly.

I don't know how it is for the residential customers, but me as a business customer.... I can't afford to hang on the line for hours at a time performing the same silly steps that mean NOTHING to resolve the issue. I want to ring up and say "I'm having this problem again". And for him to do whatever he does, and tell me 5 minutes later.. "There ye go, try it now".

Stress levels come down [and they were VERY high] and productivity for me goes back up to near normal levels.

• Advertisement

If you got Ibb so that you could get rid of the phone line you cant afford to be
    on hold with them for 20 to 40 mins and a 20min of a wasted converstaion
    everyday via your mobile and they never ring back ever.

They are ment to be a internet related busniess.
    It is not unreasonible that they should be able to conduct busniess and support via email.

Advertisement