Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Only Company in The Running to buy Meteor after Smart Pulled out :(

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

it will be a dull day if they do purchase them, maybe they will introduce good fixed line rates but i doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys i wonder why smart backed out as richard breandson from virgin mobile in uk was backing them,anyway i think someone else would try and bid soon as its coming to an end of bidding by the end of the month. i have a feeling someone will try win over eircom.i might be wrong:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

meteor is fcked guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

If i had the money i;d buy it just to keep my free messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If i had the money i;d buy it just to keep my free messages.
    and your cheap calls and decently priced phone's and service and coverage (no doubt o2 will have there ears open on what happens on the deal)

Meteor, is now going to live up to its name by literally acting like a meteor and hitting us all by robbing the bejasus out of us all.

Fix eircom up FFS, dont fck up meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would a new owner have to honour deals set out by the previous owners, ie could they stop the free meteor to metoer txts for life thing as not their problem, it was the last owners commitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sparky_S wrote:
    decently priced phone's QUOTE]

Theyre only really decently priced if you dont mind older phones, they dont have a great selection of cutting edge phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Would a new owner have to honour deals set out by the previous owners, ie could they stop the free meteor to metoer txts for life thing as not their problem, it was the last owners commitment?

I'd imagine they'll honour any previous commitments that Meteor have made. To be honest, people are over reacting slightly to this if you ask me. Even if Eircom buy Meteor, life for Meteor is likely to go as normal. The name may change, but I'd imagine the business will be run much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Will they call it Eircell?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

jlang wrote:
    Will they call it Eircell?
    AFAIK, the right to the name "Eircell" belongs to them again (as part of the sale deal with Vodafone they had the rights to it for x amount of time) but I suspect (and this is only my own speculation) that they might rename it eircom mobile to keep it in line with the other sub-brands (eircom net, eircom phonewatch etc).

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I'm quietly hopeful that Eircom want to buy Meteor to do something *good* with it instead of ruin it. I'm no fan of Eircom, not at all, but I'm hoping they want to give some focus to Meteor and make it compete well etc etc. I mean why buy back into the market just to ruin your reputation further and waste an incredible amount of money? Fingers crossed anyway.

Not sure they'd use the name Eircell but it's possible. Almost feels like a step back to call it that. That name is so dated at this stage.
    drdre wrote:
    anyway i think someone else would try and bid soon as its coming to an end of bidding by the end of the month
    I think the time for throwing in the initial bid is long since gone. There were only 3 bidders and 2 dropped out so it's only Eircom left. Unless Eircom have a change of heart then it's "All hail our new benevolent overlords".

This could be good for Meteor. An Irish company with just a *single* mobile phone network to worry about instead of the current owners who have many networks.

I hope I'm not proven to be completely wrong...and I really don't wanna loose my free texts. :p

Advertisement