Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting the laptop as a GPS system for your Car

Options
  • 21-07-2005 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I have a centrino based IBM laptop and like to use it as a GPS system by using a relevant software. I have seen an article in another website regarding the use of GPS receiver on cars, so that there is no need to invest for a fully dedicated GPS system for the car. The url follows:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120770&cks=SPK

Do any of you guys use a system like that?

Hope someone could tell me the cost involved in purchasing the software and how to set up the system

Is there any other thread running in this forum discussing the same issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Do any of you guys use a system like that?

Yes and I have exactly that GPS receiver!

Tried with my work laptop and reception is perfect. You don't have to convert anything, just plug the GPS receiver into the USB port of your laptop, select the right com-port in it's configuration utility and off you go :)

At the mo I'm trying to use a broken laptop (perfect but without screen) to connect to the LCD monitor that's built into my car, but not much luck there yet although I haven't tried very hard

I haven't made up my mind yet what GPS mapping software to use
    JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Is there any other thread running in this forum discussing the same issue?

Yes it was recently discussed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JOSSYJACOB

Could u tell me the price of a GPS receiver in ireland and where to buy it.

What software was u using in your last laptop?

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Could u tell me the price of a GPS receiver in ireland and where to buy it

See your own link :)

Dunno about retail outlets, it could be expensive
    JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    What software was u using in your last laptop?

As I said, haven't decided yet. Have tried Route 66 Europe 2005, Alturion GPS Professional 6.0, Garmin Mapsource Metroguide Europe 6

Before you buy, make sure your software covers the area that your require in detail. All of the above seem to have good coverage of Ireland

Any idea abt Microsoft Auto Route 2005 software?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Microsoft AutoRoute 2006 is to be released before Christmas. It will come with a GPS device bundled with it & will provide navigation features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I use an Ipac, and I bought a GPS reciever from eBay for about €40, then bought a cheap copy of TomTom from eBay for €10 !!

Works perfectly !

Check out eBay for prices ! http://search.ebay.co.uk/sat-nav-software_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

I hope all receivers will work with the softwares mentioned here :

Route 66 Europe 2005, Alturion GPS Professional 6.0, Garmin Mapsource Metroguide Europe 6, Microsoft Autoroute Europe 2005

Once the GPS device is NMEA 2.0 compliant, it should work with AutoRoute

Plz help me to choose a GPS receiver and Where could I buy it - from some shops in Dublin / Via Internet?

Do we have to pay pay something like service charge to some agency to keep on receiving satelite signals

• Advertisement

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Plz help me to choose a GPS receiver and Where could I buy it - from some shops in Dublin / Via Internet?

You already answered your own question. The one from Komplett works very well for me
    JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Do we have to pay pay something like service charge to some agency to keep on receiving satelite signals

No

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

CollinsIrelandSheet2South1003.jpg

there ya go 5.99

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Simple answer....no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

there ya go 5.99

no good, no buttons or flashing lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ShockBlast RX8

MercMad wrote:
    I use an Ipac, and I bought a GPS reciever from eBay for about €40, then bought a cheap copy of TomTom from eBay for €10 !!

Works perfectly !

Check out eBay for prices ! http://search.ebay.co.uk/sat-nav-software_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

what software & Hardware do I need for the ipaq for this to work I got a top end ipaq

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

MercMad wrote:

Works perfectly !

Does TomTom Navigator work in Ireland? According to their site they don't have maps for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

The best for maps in Ireland is Garmin. They have Dublin mapped to street level with house numbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

beller b wrote:
    The best for maps in Ireland is Garmin. They have Dublin mapped to street level with house numbering.

all the software I have used: Navigon 4, Navigon 5, Mapopolis, and ViaMichelin Mapsonic cover Dublin with house number, outside dublin is another matter however and you milage, will litterally vary.

AFAIK navigon 5 has the most detailed overall maping for ireland. Navteq are still not finished here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

what software & Hardware do I need for the ipaq for this to work I got a top end ipaq

...........practically any !

Use the link to eBay and if you find something you like just ask the seller a specific question about your unit !

You couls also download Mapopolis F.O.C and just buy their maps online...........you could be up and running in half an hour !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Anyone know what software bmw use in their cars. was in one today and the detail even in the depths of Tipp was good.

• Advertisement

I have a nice little unit for sale if any one is interested......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=283342

there ya go 5.99

A really cool device !

Yeah! battries not needed...Unless the bulb in your car goes

This is the reply i got from Garmin support when i asked them whether Other GPS receivers like Haicom work with Garmin MapSource Software:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am afraid that MapSource products are compatible only with Garmin GPS
    receivers for tracking purposes.

Regards,
    Chris
    Product Support
    Garmin (Europe) Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 S2000

www.CarWatch.ie have mapping software and GPS receivers (USB would prob be best for your laptop). Product bundles also available. This can turn your laptop or pocket PC into a full Sav Nav system.

Let me know if you need any more info or help,

Adrian

S2000 wrote:
    www.CarWatch.ie have mapping software and GPS receivers (USB would prob be best for your laptop). Product bundles also available. This can turn your laptop or pocket PC into a full Sav Nav system.

Let me know if you need any more info or help,

Adrian

Adrian,
    I assume you have MapFactor MPFC-22 GPS USB receiver (PRICE: EUR 145.00 (inc VAT)) in mind. But 145 Euro is too much for me. I may settle down with haicom USB receiver.

Jossy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i have used for a long time the GPS in a car,in Europe and in Ireland ,either with a laptop or iPaq.
    Outside,in Europe the best one i found to be Navigator,from http://www.directions.ltd.uk/ !
    On iPaq,i have tried all the big names !The best one Papago!

If i could assist you,i could meet you and sit down,test the units and exchange ideeas.I live in D15,but we could meet anywhere!

rolion wrote:
    i have used for a long time the GPS in a car,in Europe and in Ireland ,either with a laptop or iPaq.
    Outside,in Europe the best one i found to be Navigator,from http://www.directions.ltd.uk/ !
    On iPaq,i have tried all the big names !The best one Papago!

If i could assist you,i could meet you and sit down,test the units and exchange ideeas.I live in D15,but we could meet anywhere!

I live in Dublin 20, near phonex park. Tell me when you are free. Let us chat!

Advertisement