Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Wireless Help

• 21-07-2005 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

OK, I got Eircom's Broadband years ago and im fed up with the phone line (Its in another room[V]) So im going wireless.

I have an idea what has to be done as regards the hardware but im wondering has anyone else with the oringally issued netopia standard router changed to a wireless setup ie. Wireless USB

My PC doesnt have any wireless functionality so im guessing i will have to get a wireless usb adapter and then the wireless router

My question is...Is it expensive, hard to do, worthwhile[?]

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you going to get a Wireless Router from eircom, or one yourself?

If you go the eircom option it is a Netopia that comes with WEP enabled (that is Wireless Encryption, just in case), the disk that comes with it automatically sets up the encryption on your pc too, so it's all done in the background.

No matter what you do, you will need a Wireless adapter for your computer too, usually a USB device that picks up the signal from the router, this will probably need to be installed.

If you go for the full eircom package you will get a router and an adapter, and the one disk installs everything. I have set up many wireless routers/adapters and it works a dream, definitely worth it, as for prices, I don't know :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

HI, i got my wireless adapter from eircom, €49 i think, can probably get them cheaper, so much handier, cas go up to top of garden and still get excellent signal strength

Advertisement