Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom3/Hl2/Bf2/CS/HL/Farcry all suck.

Options
  • 21-07-2005 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Just played the Dam on Goldeneye for 1st time in many a year, god FPS these days suck compared to it.

Got 44% accuracy seems i suck too now :(

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You're probably too used to using a mouse to aim now. Back then I was able to use joypads to play FPS - now I can't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

ah the old goldeneye was a quality game allright. the best was two vs. two, radars off, and a big sheet of cardboard sticking out of the middle of the tv screen so you couldnt see where the other teams players were on the facility map.
    ahhh the hours/days/weeks/months i wasted, oh and no one is allowed play as odd job (runt bastard) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah i was playing goldeneye a while back too. Legendary ! I've actually completely gone off PC FPS games... Good old gamecube! CS Source can kiss my ass, ive had enough of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

cs is a great game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played it again recently myself. It is a classic but has aged quite a bit, especially the even slower PAL version. Still the level design is fantastic and the AI is better than most modern games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

You're probably too used to using a mouse to aim now. Back then I was able to use joypads to play FPS - now I can't :(

ditto, theres no turning back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

Having pulled out my copy recently, I have to say I was disappointed. Goleneye has dated really badly IMO. For it's day, nothing touched it (and I grinded away many hours in multiplayer) but FPS's have moved on and it just doesn't hold up compared to the like of HL2, Halo2, BF2, CS:S and Farcry.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

stagolee wrote:

yes that will indeed be good, but ive kinda lost faith in all those hl2 mods as they are taking forever to come out.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i dont care what u say goldeneye was fun and all (coupled wit zelda the only reason to buy a N64) but compared to Doom3/Hl2/Bf2/CS/HL/Farcry (maybe not doom 3) its a pile of dated sh.ite
    also when was it orginaly released? HL1 was out in '98

and im sure there are people out there who still think pong, space invaders and pacman are the best :D time moves on...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Goldeneye came out November 96 (it was my birthday present :D )

it was the best game i ever played and in fact the only of 2 games i ever owned for that console (mariokart being the obvious other)

Half Life didnt really excite me when it came out but you have to appreciate its difficulty even by todays standards...Far Cry comes a close second with Doom 3 being the biggest pile of sh!te i ever played.

Goldeneye came out November 96 (it was my birthday present :D )
    well HL1 was much better and still holds its own now
    Doom 3 being the biggest pile of sh!te i ever played.
    everyone knows that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Doom 3 being the biggest pile of sh!te i ever played.

Couldnt agree more, nothing more than a tech demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Still the level design is fantastic and the AI is better than most modern games.

Are you taking the piss....?

The AI is pathetic, one of the worst in a non-scripted enviroment I've ever seen.

I mean, it was always considered terrible by myself and my friends, but once Medal of Honor came out on psx, it really showed how much of a farce GE was in that particular department....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Sgtshaft wrote:
    Couldnt agree more, nothing more than a tech demo.

Yes all Brawn no Brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

People have their all time favourite game... a game that has endless joy and playability for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

like masturbation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Played it again recently myself. It is a classic but has aged quite a bit, especially the even slower PAL version. Still the level design is fantastic and the AI is better than most modern games.

The AI was ****, even IGI's AI was better and that's saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

i only played goldeneye for the first time in 2000 i think...needless to say i wasnt particulalrly impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Goldeneye was the peak of FPS for me. Everything (including PD) has failed to fill the void it left in my life.

I loved the time restrictions for the cheats. Made you refine your movements into one smooth action through an entire level. I was like liquid moving through Facility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Ah yes! Goldeneye was a defining moment in my teenage years. The best fps I've ever played. Hours was spent using the sniper rifle on surface 1 just for the head shots. What a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I only played Goldeneye last year and I was very impressed. It was difficult to play it on an emulator though. I really regret not playing it when it came out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

doom3 wolf4 :) hl2 (too short) etc single player were all disappointing

farcry went to the next level that all these games didn't, hl2 too might have in physics but it was underused

i hadn't heard much about farcry but i just thought it was so much better, the graphics were used well, the island freeroam structure was superb...

the action exciting not frustrating it was ridiculously long etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

I never liked farcy, I thought it was had no soul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Gizzard wrote:
    I never liked farcy, I thought it was had no soul
    It was good killing mercs - but the other todgers ruined it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found Farcry good when you were killing humans. The mutants things were just silly. It felt like playing Quake 2 all over again except even more annoying.

yeah back in the day using mutants/zoobies/demons etc was a great excuse to avoid programming AI. It was the most annoying part of farcry which would have been a much better game if it didnt have them :( still i liked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I mmust be one of the few who didn't mind the mutants in FarCry. The only thing I found disappointing was that there were far too many levels in generic indoor corridors. The early outdoor levels were great; tons of freedom and tension. And some epic moments near the end. Great fun when you're outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#### FCUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.36 .....

some of you people have no clue about how games should be played.

kdjac

Advertisement