Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very bad overclock

Options
  • 21-07-2005 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Built my new rig a few weeks ago and i wanted to find out how far my cpu would go. its an A64 3000, asus a8n sli deluxe mobo, corsair xms pro ram and an antec true power 380W psu. I have an up to date bios, a zalman cooler on it and temps are good. I can only get to 2100 MHz and that's with the voltage up to 1.55, the motherboards max in the bios. I have set the ram divider to 2:1 as this was just to see how far the cpu could overclock so its not ram holding it back and have also made sure to set the HTT multiplyer to 3 so as not to have that unstable.i know there are unlucky chips and all of that but this seems exceptionally bad. Is there anything else it could be or is the chip really just that unlucky. Is there anyway to put more volts through it, up to 1.65 say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

how many hdds, ide drives and what gfx card u running?

If your running sli the PSU is too weak! Have u or a friend got a PSU with more Watts to see if thats the prob...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

1 hdd. 1 dvd-rw drive. And an x850 pro card. I got the sli board because i was informed that it was a good overclocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It is good.
    You may just have a bad chip. Too much voltage is bad too!! I would drop the voltage to 1.45

How are you overclocking? Just upping the FSB, or dropping the multi and then upping the FSB. The latter is the better way for A64.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

380 Watts with an X850..............not enough juice dude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

450W minimum, get something like the Enermax PSU.

• Advertisement

i checked on extremepsucalculator and it said i had plenty of head room.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

4Xcut wrote:
    I can only get to 2100 MHz

That's a 17% overclock on air and Zalman quiet. What are you complaining about? ;)

I wouldn't bring that voltage up any further, 4Xcut
    Inquitus wrote:
    380 Watts with an X850..............not enough juice dude!
    450W minimum, get something like the Enermax PSU.

Not at all. The Antec 380W is fine for his setup

300MHz is not a respectable overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

18 Amps on the 12v rail isn't enough for this rig imo! A better PSU is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Did you check your rails while your cpu is under load? Moniror your different voltage levels while running a stress test like prime 95 and see if they are stable. If they are dipping below what they should be this can limit your overclock. If they are fine a new psu won't make any difference.

• Advertisement

how do i monitor the rails

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Download MBM (Mother Board Monitor) which imo is an essential program for windows (if your going to be overclocking even more)

EDIT: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Advertisement