Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New V2.0 Firmware

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It will also support H.264 encoded files.

But no more homebrew :(icon13.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I 'm having my doubts of bothering to get it!
    Is it worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

well if u want a web browser, changable backround and to share pics it is, i have an access point at home so it is worth it for me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well the update is out and I have it doewnloaded ready. Now its just decision time. Homebrew or v2.0.

Most new games that are going to be released will need the v2.0 [or later] update. At the moment if you get coded arms you must update to v1.5. Tbh, you are going to have to update sooner or later if you buy any new games so its just a matter of time. How long till it gets crakced and homebrew can run is the real question.

You can download the v2.0 update here: http://dj01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/jp/2005_0727_62f6d3d18038f463092e3d6653fae195/EBOOT.PBP
    Its just under 17mb so make sure you have space on your Memory Stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

1.5 already supports H.264 from what I have read and the browser isnt meant to be that special, some ppl are saying its 2 slow. I read somewhere about some japanese 1.5 game running on 1.0 but I dont know legit that is ;) , Wouldnt be surprised if they have some app that stops new games looking for the new firmware or an app that pretends its the latest firmware. Wouldnt update till at least after the european launch as u'll know then if u definitely have to update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

There is an app out that allows you to run 1.5 games on a 1.0 PSP, not sure how succesful they will be with blocking 2.0 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

anybody got the browser working yet ? I have been thinking about this and I am going to upgrade tonight (I currently have 1.5). The way I see it, as winters says, is that you are going to have to upgrade sooner or later and it does look sweet for use with the wireless network... finally I can surf the net in the bath! LOL I could be posting here from there soon ;)

I upgraded to 2.0 earlier. Reason being is I dont actually use homebrew that much so I figured I might aswell give the new features a twirl.

Browser is super I must say, I do find it a lot faster then the Wipeout browser. I use wlan power save off through which helps. The browser itself features tabs, book marks, proxy ability and a range of other stuff. It however doesnt feature Java or Flash support yet ... but besides that its fantastic.

The ability to change backgrounds and "theme" are nice and simple. You can make any picture [gif, tiff, jpg, png or bmp] from your photo's and set it to a background. You can also save images from the web browser into your photo's. You can also change the colours using the "theme". It gives the option of either one of the 12 month colours or "Origional" which will just change with each month.

There are also some nice added features for the wifi and WPA support \o/

excellant, I will be trying it out later myself. I take it it just joins up to your wireless network using the WEP key like other wireless devices ?

Yup. The update also adds some sort of odd automatic thingy for certain access points which I cba looking into.

I just run everything through a Netgear Access Point with 128bit WEP and all I needed to do was scan for the access point, bang in the key and just put everythign else on automatic. Nice and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

So how long before linux is available for it? ;)

thanks for the info Winters... guess it is bye bye Rick Dangerous and Doom homebrew (for now) and hello to browsing on the PSP.

new updates great, but browser a bit slow and i found my psp freezing once after trying to click a link to many times and not being near enuf to my access point, but no worries took battery out and just wait for pages to load completely before browsing. good update my first after having 1.5
    and i have emailed sony regarding region coding and they stated that games will always be region free but movies will be regionalised inc. jap and europe having dif regions
    i like the way u can share pics wirelessly, maybe music is next:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

Updated my US PSP with the Jap firmware earlier which worked fine and I have to say that I'm very impressed. The browser is a huge improvement on Wipeout Pure - the ability to create bookmarks and have access to your history is a huge plus. It's miles faster at loading pages too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I put the firmware on to a memory stick, but do I always need to keep the same memory stick insterted from then on or does the PSP itself have internal memory for storing the new information?

Download the update and with a USB cable put the folder on the memory stick and install it from there. After it's installed correctly and you have checked you're now running ver 2.0 - you can then delete the 16mb file from the memory stick.

Detailed info on updating a US PSP here:
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&message.id=708744

nah, you just need to install the upgrade once and then you can wipe it off your memory card. Posted this from my psp btw! :D

kool, i ordered thug 2 remix from cd wow tuesday before last and it still hasnt arrived:( they sent out another one but its a pain to wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Anyone else having problems with it freezing? Ive had to pull out the battery twice now while browsing, Kinda annoying...... but it is very handy lying in bed checking emails!!

S.

yea happened to me once while browsing as i was clicking while page was still loading adn i wasnrt near enuf to access point so got error and it froze so took out battery and now i just wait patiently for pages to load and its fine now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

How do u put in the URls of the pages you want?

quintron wrote:
    How do u put in the URls of the pages you want?
    When you're connected to the web and on your homepage or any other page press the triangle button and you get two overlays on screen. The top contains the address bar, the bottom is navigation (home, bookmarks, history etc).

Click the address bar by placing the cursor on it (it will change into a pencil graphic) then press the X button and type in the URL you want with the PSP keypad which now includes handy one click short cuts such as www. or http:// or .com etc

Anyone been able to access any local/network web servers on the psp browser?

For some reason I can access my router web config, my modem web config but not my local webserver, through either pc name or ip address. I just keep getting a dns error back.

browsers great, i turned off power save on wi-fi whichhelps alot in letting you get further away from router\:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'm impressed with 2.0. Good job Sony.

Only thing wrong with it is that I don't have a wireless connection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Haven't got it myself, think I'll just wait for a decent homebrew browser :)

Is it actually usable? I would have imagined surfing without a mouse and keyboard is a pita but still it'd be handy to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Wonder why they didnt have this included from day one, doesnt seem like a very hard thing for a company like sony to do. Wont be much use to most ppl in ireland though who either still have dial-up or dont have a wireless router but still a handy thing if u can use it. Someone posted a link of a micro firefox for phones and stuff somewhere b4, hopefully someone can port it to 1.00/1.50 ;)

steviec wrote:
    Is it actually usable? I would have imagined surfing without a mouse and keyboard is a pita but still it'd be handy to have.

The analog sticks acts as a mouse on the browser so its perfect for browsing with. A lot better then having to live on the up and down arrows of the wipeout browser.

It will be interesting too see any homebrew browser emerge and how it will comapre with the sony offering now.

Also, I wonder if they are devloping an email client at all to go with the browser. If I remember correctly they were speaking about the psp having the ability to surf the net and also check your email so a php3 client of some sort im sure is in the works from sony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

I just uploaded the V2 Firmware and now PSP won't recognise my wireless router.

Anyone else find this? Any fixes?

Will it just not see it when you scan for access points?

It should keep all your wifi settings when you update to 2.0. I didnt have a problem before or after the update. Check your access point and maybe give it a quick restart. You should be broadcasting no SSID so the PSP might just not see it.

Yeah that happened to me too.Also check if your WLAN switch on your psp is on!(basic mistake)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Most people I know don't do that, nether do I good thinking Franky Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

The browser is really cool i must say but on certain pages i get the error"not enough memory to load page" would having a Memory Stick Duo with a size bigger than 32megs solve this problem? Otherwise i'm so pleased with the update.

I have a 1 GB memory stick in mine and I do get that emssage depending on how long i've been browsing.

The system does not actually use the Memory Stick as a Cache from what I can see. Id does save History, bookmarks and some other things on the ms Duo's but It seems to use the systems own internal memory as a Cache.

Just click ok when you see that message and everything is fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

make sure u have the subfolder BROWSER in SYSTEM folder
    i have a wireless router and adaptor so im set, but i have satelite broadband as broadband is a dream in ireland really, im glad that i have sat broadband though as its fast for basic things, eg internet, email etc, but not good for gaming

make sure u have the subfolder BROWSER in SYSTEM folder
    i have a wireless router and adaptor so im set, but i have satelite broadband as broadband is a dream in ireland really, im glad that i have sat broadband though as its fast for basic things, eg internet, email etc, but not good for online gamin:(, good for browsin on psp though:)
    i wonder when infastructure will be on alll games instead of just twisted metal as that is the only game so far not using xlink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

i was just wondering do you need wireless broadband for the browser to work or whats the story? dont understand exactly how it works. I dont have a PSP yet! damn September 1st! HURRY UP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

What sort of hardware is needed to jump online?
    You'll need a wireless router of some sort, or have access to an existing wireless connection in your area. The PSP uses 802.11b as its WiFi standard, so any 802.11b compatible wireless router that you pick up should work just fine.

What connection types and encryption does the PSP support?
    As mentioned, the PSP uses 802.11b and can use either the WEP or WPA security protocols. It will also connect to an open network (no password needed), of course.

• Advertisement

qz wrote:
    I'm impressed with 2.0. Good job Sony.

Only thing wrong with it is that I don't have a wireless connection!

Just pick up a router in town for cheap!

I seem to have two.Weird.Anyway i'm off to fix the LAN betwen the two computers wish me luck!

Depending on your setup you made need a simple Wireless Access Point or a Wireless Router. Make sure you get one that supports 802.11b as thats what the PSP runs on.

All you need to do is simply plug a wirless access point into your network [through a ethernet connection] and configure the point as you wish. This will work if you have a spare ethernet connection on your modem or a connected switch / router on your network.

If you do not have a spare ethernet connection then you will neet to get a Wireless switch and configure it for your network by plugging it into your modem then plugging all other ethernet connections into the switch. Configre it and your away.

Its quite simple and check the Wireless forum on boards for more help.

Advertisement