Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plate

Options
  • 21-07-2005 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

guys i am looking to get my number plate changed, i would like to get it in italics and also i want the silver/chrome surrouding around the plate

would anyone know where i can get this done for cheap around dublin or even on the net.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

http://www.fancyplates.com

These guys are not that cheap but you can design your own ones.

By the way you do know these type of number plates are illegal? I know people who have been stopped for this by cops who had nothing better to do at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

drdre wrote:
    guys i am looking to get my number plate changed, i would like to get it in italics

:rolleyes:

It's illegal and your car will fail the NCT with plates like that

Don't do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote:
    By the way you do know these type of number plates are illegal? I know people who have been stopped for this by cops who had nothing better to do at the time.

Yeah its terrible when police have nothing better to do than stop people doing things that are illegal. They dont make the laws, they enforce them, or would you like to submit a list of laws that the police should ignore and the ones you'll let them cotinue enforcing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

ignoring the legality of the issue for one minute, arent you at all worried that you'll look like a complete tosser?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Getting what you want done will get you stopped no question, but you could bend the rules a little if you wanted, like making the letters/numbers on the numberplate bold or in a different font like verdana, but you'll need the blue vertical strip to the left + the county on top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

ando wrote:
    Getting what you want done will get you stopped no question, but you could bend the rules a little if you wanted, like making the letters/numbers on the numberplate bold or in a different font like verdana, but you'll need the blue vertical strip to the left + the county on top

that is not bending the rules, that is breaking the rules, there is a standard font and format, anything else is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Keep the old plates incase you have to change them back like for the NCT or the gardas tell you to and then change them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

preilly79 wrote:
    ignoring the legality of the issue for one minute, arent you at all worried that you'll look like a complete tosser?

lmao!

here here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

if you are going to get a fancy numberplate you will have to get a new micra and put chrome effect hubcaps on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    Yeah its terrible when police have nothing better to do than stop people doing things that are illegal. They dont make the laws, they enforce them, or would you like to submit a list of laws that the police should ignore and the ones you'll let them cotinue enforcing.

Was not saying that the cops have nothing better to do.

The point I was trying to make was that you are drawing attention to yourself by having these things sticking out a mile. In other words the cops are driving behind you not in any particular hurry to go anywhere and see these fancy plates on your car in front of them so they pull you over and give you a good talking to. Have seen it happen.

And personnelly I wouldn't bother with fancy plates on my car because I know they are illegal plus the fact that I don't think they enhance the car in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I think those 'fancy' numberplates look ridiculous. Nevertheless I see them all the time: Italics, red-shadowed letters, colours other than blue for the left side of the plate, wrong sizes.

I'd say the risk of being stopped by the guards is minimal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

preilly79 wrote:
    My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'd say the risk of being stopped by the guards is minimal

........I'd say it depends on where you are. Where I live they stopped my mother who was in her 60's at the time and told here she had 24hrs to bring the car to the police station for inspection or face €1000 fine !

I know someone else who WAS fined !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

drdre wrote:
    i would like to get it in italics
    Are you from Donegal? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Are you from Donegal? :D

do you drive a Toyota Twin Cam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

Echo all the comments about looking like a complete and utter tosser with such plates.

As for stekelly? We have Gardai in Ireland, not Police. Stop sounding like the proverbial Northsider, please. (mind you, with your sig proclaiming support for a British soccer team it's obvious where your loyalties are.)

We have Gardai in Ireland, not Police.

Garda is the proper noun describing the police in Ireland. Garda ARE police (supposedly)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

Police is the word used by all the degenerates and lower class, in Ireland, to describe the Gardai.

Police is the word used by all the degenerates and lower class, in Ireland, to describe the Gardai.

I use the word Police and why not?
    You must be border-line 'degenerate' yourself if you are getting so worked up about semantics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

a quality statement from a quality person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys thanks for the input. anyway i am not doing my car up like a knacker. i am doing it up nicely. so i really donot mind what people say.

anyway thanks again and if anyone knows any other places please put up a post

no guys i am from dublin,why?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No police is a word used by english speaking people, ie all of us. Gardai is an Irish word, ie a language very few people use as their first language.

If you go to an english speaking country and describe them as Gardai nobody will know what your on about, if you say police however they will, as its the universal english word for law enforcement.

Oh and if you want to get piccy, bazz described them as cops in the post I was replying to, thats not written on the cars either.

(mind you, with your sig proclaiming support for a British soccer team it's obvious where your loyalties are.)

Yeah, in a decent level of sport, and btw its called football, soccer is a word used by degenerates, people who dont know about the sport, and americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Good to see the spirit of the boards are still kicking. A chap asks a simple question for help and it results in everyone taking shots at each other and abusing one and other!!!

Nice...

i donot know why it went out of order, i just asked aquestion:D

number one i am not scared of the police stoping me. also i am getting a simple plate i just want a change to the normal plates, i donot want stupid plates as seen everywhere on knacker cars.#

all i asked for is where i could get them not an argument.:D

dont mind some of the trolling muppets here drdre, if you want to do it, do it. You may get pulled for it but thats the risk you take. I think east coast alloys do them aswell, not 100% on that though

thanks ando, that alright i will do it and why should i be scared of the police they cannot do nothing for a registration plate.:D

anyway thanks i found a guy who sells them for 40 yoyos(2 reg plates,2 silver surrounding)

thanks guys for your feedback

PROBLEM SOLVED:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

there's a pretty big fine for having non standard plates. something over a grand methinks. that said if you want to do it then of you go. i got a set of metal ones done here in cork for 20 quid. i reckon they look well on the car. just a plain white plate with the numbers in the standard font. all i wanted was to have them made without the county, without dashes and without the eu flag at the side, looks well on a white car. i know it's illegal but to be honest i think it's stupid to have to have a flag or county on the plate, makes so difference to the visibilty or legibility of the plate.

there's a pretty big fine for having non standard plates. something over a grand methinks.

I think that is more to do with people using the anti speed camera tricks. I dont know of anyone that has been fined for just having a different plate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rodney Trotter keep your politics for the politics board.

Mike.

Advertisement