Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muhammad Hassan finished

• 21-07-2005 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Muhammad Hassan character is finished. It certainly is on Smackdown:

Source: WrestlingObserver.com

As reported, UPN has requested that WWE remove Muhammad Hassan from SmackDown. The WWE writing team has not made an official decision regarding Hassan's future as a character, but only two suggestions are really getting notice at this point.

One, as noted earlier, would see Undertaker kill the Hassan character off at Great American Bash. Since Hassan was scheduled to defeat Undertaker and wrestle Batista for the World Title at Summerslam, it would be interesting to see how WWE would go about changing plans for this Sunday's PPV and, consequently, Summerslam.

The other would be to send Hassan back to RAW, so that Hassan could go into a tirade about being censored by SmackDown. The fear associated with moving Hassan to RAW is that the media would continue to express outrage and force Spike TV to also nix the character, at which point, WWE would look foolish. In fact, Spike TV might have already informed WWE that it has no interest in carrying the character, which would force WWE to further investigate the other option.

http://nodq.com/news/123980955.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Best character in WWE for a long long time and this happens to him. What a disgrace. His promo the other day (on wwe.com and SD!) was the best promo I've ever seen cut in a WWE ring.

It does howver appear that 'rasslin fans are too stupid to understand his character (I understand the irony of the sentence, so don't wander into the pro wrestling forum and point that out!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

It's a shame because i was starting to enjoy him.

Whatever about getting rid of the present on screen character , I think Hussain is too good a prospect, as a young wrestler, to drop completely.

A couple of "repackages" that might work is for him to become less of a terrorist and more of a rich arab businessman, maybe even become a member of the cabinet? or would this still cause hostility?

Another option could be a face turn and have him re-embrace his American patriotism, much like Sgt. Slaughter or Nicholai Volkoff all those years ago.
    Or, if they wanted to still have him as a heel, go the route of the "All American boys" gimmick the Rougeau Brothers had , where they pretending to be patriotic American citizens but were really just taking the pi$$.

I don't know, maybe these suggestions are rubbish, as WWE will most likely change his name and give him a totally different gimmick, IF they decide to keep him on the books at all which i hope they do.

On a side note, and i'm not trying to start another debate about this as it's been done before and at this stage evryone has they're own opinions of the character, but Dr. Edge Wild, what exactly is Ironic about Hussain?
    To me it's just another of Vince's risky, bad taste and pretty much immoral use of a tragic real life situation, to shock and get heat from the fans.
    If i'm not reading between the lines and am missing a much more clever message, then please do share it with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭k_money

He's a good wrestler, but I think it's a disgraceful piece of racism on the part of WWE. They've stereotyped his whole race just to try and get the masses against the arabs. The first time I saw it I really wondered how they were getting away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

It's a real shame if he's gone. I would have loved to have seen him as world champion. There's nothing I like more than seeing pissed off Americans and Vince has been very obliging recently.

Despatch wrote:
    There's nothing I like more than seeing pissed off Americans

I don't think there was many Americans killed in the London and Turkish bombs recently, was there mate?

• Advertisement

D-FENS wrote:
    I don't think there was many Americans killed in the London and Turkish bombs recently, was there mate?

Note that I said 'pissed off Americans' not 'dead Americans' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭k_money

D-FENS wrote:

Funny, the last time I looked this wasn't a political debate, but a thread about a wrestler

Despatch wrote:
    Note that I said 'pissed off Americans' not 'dead Americans' :rolleyes:

And note i mentioned England and Turkey, i.e. it's not just Americans affected by the Terrorist acts of our times and it's not just Americans who would be "pissed off" by the Hussain character/angle. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

****ing hell

Hassan is the best thing on Smackdown! atm

k_money wrote:
    Funny, the last time I looked this wasn't a political debate, but a thread about a wrestler

True, and I also said in my first thread that I didn’t want to start a debate about this wrestler (although it's fair to say his character is more politically influenced than, say, Eugene)

My only point is, wanting his character to stay, when it's clearly upset people genuine affected by recent tragedies, just so it can pi$$ off Americans, is pretty lame in my view.

Really, if the WWE writers were worth their salt, they could create characters/angles that can shock, excite and hold people's interests without resorting to cheap tactics, which in my view, this one has become.

I mean what’s next? A Pedophile wrestler?

• Advertisement

D-FENS wrote:
    True, and I also said in my first thread that I didn’t want to start a debate about this wrestler (although it's fair to say his character is more politically influenced than, say, Eugene)

My only point is, wanting his character to stay, when it's clearly upset people genuine affected by recent tragedies, just so it can pi$$ off Americans, is pretty lame in my view.

Really, if the WWE writers were worth their salt, they could create characters/angles that can shock, excite and hold people's interests without resorting to cheap tactics, which in my view, this one has become.

I mean what’s next? A Pedophile wrestler?

It's funny but this is exactly what i was saying when the Hassan character first appeared yet I was told by everyone else not to take it so seriously. So I didn't and I started to enjoy his successes. Now my point of view has changed but so it seems has almost everyone elses.

As for the paedophile thing - you could well be right, this Eddie/Rey/Dominic thing is starting to look very creepy.

Despatch wrote:

As for the paedophile thing - you could well be right, this Eddie/Rey/Dominic thing is starting to look very creepy.

Agreed, it's a strange one alright.

D-FENS wrote:
    but Dr. Edge Wild, what exactly is Ironic about Hussain?

Nothing, read my sentence again. I was saying that wrestling fans are too stupid to get his character and I am posting in a wrestling fan forum as a wrestling fan myself. Get it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

this is all about americans being too sensitive.
    wrestling has always had the shock angle to it and that won't ever change.
    the fact of the matter is that the american general public don't want to see an arab on tv putting america down. quite a lot of them don't seem to realise that it's just a gimmick and is not real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's a shame a wrestler could plummet because of something like this, but it's not all surprising. I've always tried to turn a blind eye to the WWE's blatent propaganda (like La Resistance) but they handled the whole Hussain thing badly. All they accomplished was stirring up racial hatred. People can say it's just a gimmick, not real life, but you have to remember how powerful their messages can be.
    It doesn't look good for Hussain either with what happened at the Great American Bash

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gdez

I have to be honest i never took the whole Hassan thing that seriously even though i was well aware of the implications, it's another massive oversite on Vince Mcmahon's behalf, but since when has he not being willing to take a risk or 2 to get the ratings.

I have to say as a long time wrestling fan i'm not very impressed with the direction wrestling have been going, i think the fact that WWE bought out WCW & ECW has taken away the pressure they were under to produce a high quality show & beat WCW to top spot on the ratings. I think WWF/WWE was at it's peak when it was up against WCW & Bischoff. I mean during that time the story lines were fanastic particularly the one's involving the Undertaker & the Corporate Ministry/Ministry of Darkness angles.

I actually stoped watching WWE 4 a while a few years ago, but when i heard the undertaker was coming back as his old self i was really excited, but i think it's been a bit of a waste as they have done nothing remotely interesting or exciting with him.
    I aslo think the the fact that it's seperate rosters 4 each brand & 2 champions has really taken away from it aswell.

Sorry about the lenght of this posting, i'm sure most of u won't even get this far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hass

It's a real shame about Hassan being dropped because he was smackdowns new top heel who would be going for thr heavy weight title. It would have been something new instead of JBL all the time going for it. I wonder what he will come back as after spending time in OVW. As far as the Undertaker gose he is nothing any more. He is rarley on smackdown and is not the same as he use to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thanks for the site Gimmick! I spoke out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

me two lets hope it works before they bring him back as simon deans bag carryer

• Advertisement

Personally, i can think of better wrestlers/characters that i'd like to petition to bring back than the Iron Sheik 2005 , plus these petitions don't have a great history of success, but if it makes you guys feel better, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KD tha 1

Muhammad Hassan rulz! I hope they bring him back!

Advertisement