Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whose dropping what next year?

Options
  • 22-07-2005 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

To all you fellow 1st Arts students out there, what are you guys dropping when (and if!) you get into 2nd Year? Are you sticking with 2 subjects or are you doing a mode 1 course?

Personally, I'm dropping Greek & Roman, sticking with History & Politics and declining the Mode 1 offer I got (remarkably with only 60% in the exams!!).

So how about yourselves?? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I'm dropping psychology. Have to, no choice, didn't apply for a mode 1 (and wouldn't have got it on my results).

Keeping computers and information studies,

Looking forward to going back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

im quitting altogether! no more Psychology English or Philosophy for me! altho Philosophy was cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i'm dropping college entirely! one more month and then Huzzah! i'm finished!!! that is, if i can survive without a full night's sleep sleep for that long. so...tired...need...coffee. zzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

GusherING wrote:
    To all you fellow 1st Arts students out there, what are you guys dropping when (and if!) you get into 2nd Year? Are you sticking with 2 subjects or are you doing a mode 1 course?

Personally, I'm dropping Greek & Roman, sticking with History & Politics and declining the Mode 1 offer I got (remarkably with only 60% in the exams!!).

So how about yourselves?? :)

AAAAAAAH!!!!! :eek: :( :mad:
    No no no no no no no!
    I f**king chose History and Politics as well last year, dropping Philosophy.
    Worst. Decision. Ever.
    If you got Mode 1 offer for History, take it man.

Read my lips... er... words...
    Second. Year. Politics. Is. Awful.

Ahem... I'm glad I got that off my chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Gushering

Take up English and learn how to use grammar!

Whose or Who Is

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'm dropping Maths Studies and keeping on History and Politics. I dont care what Seb says, I like politics so I'm keeping it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

I like it too. So I'll keep it! I apoligise for the grammatical error but don't be so pedantic over a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm dropping philosophy and sticking with history and politics.

When do we sort the whole thing out? Is it when we go back we have to sign up with the subjects or what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

I assume so. The only communication I've had with UCD is my offer for Mode 1. I haven't heard a peep out of them with regard to anything else. I'm sure its like last year when we had to sign up for subjects in the Admin building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im dropping Psychology, im suprised i even passed it. keeping sociology and politics.

• Advertisement

There's alot of people doing politics around this place. :cool:

Ah well, I tried to warn them...
    I said don't do politics. What did I say?
    (voice in background) You said don't do politics.
    I said don't do politics...

Just thought I'd reiterate that. Just so you all remember when you're REPEATING this time next year who could have saved you 12 months of cr*pness.

*Shakes head in dismay*

P.S. 2nd year History is great, although that might just be by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

SebtheBum wrote:
    Ah well, I tried to warn them...
    I said don't do politics. What did I say?
    (voice in background) You said don't do politics.
    I said don't do politics...

Just thought I'd reiterate that. Just so you all remember when you're REPEATING this time next year who could have saved you 12 months of cr*pness.

*Shakes head in dismay*

P.S. 2nd year History is great, although that might just be by comparison.

Definitely just by comparison! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm dropping Sociology in favour of Geologicalgraphy and Information Studies.

Why? Because the Sociology department are a bunch muppets who don't have any slight interest in their students, make an extremely fascinating and interesting subject impossible by presuming that we are a bunch of qualified social workers and goons who read the C**munist M**ifesto every single day, they hope half of us will f**k off and die this summer, they charge zillions of euros for sh!tty notes, they have the cheek to make us re-register during August, the 1st year population is full of D4 heads.......... blah blah blah........ BLAH!

SebtheBum wrote:

*Shakes head in dismay*

Oh ye of little faith!

Aren't there options in politics? Like can we drop courses like Marxism in favour of others?

*my head is broken*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

if i was doing sociology, politics and philosphy i'd drop politics.

Yeah, you tell em, Kev!
    Who can argue with the great Kev?

In answer to Mr.NiceGuy:

Ho ho ho ho ho tee hee hee hee Ba Wha HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA....

Ah, excuse me. *Wipes tear of laughter from eye*
    Oh, you'll learn soon enough, my young Padwan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Good to see lots of ppl doing politics, I actually really enjoyed it. However, 2nd year is definitely the hardest and you don't get a lot of room to choose your subjects - especially if you want to engineer it so you don't have to be in at 9 in the morning :D However, the good news is that 3rd year is sooo much better. The times are better and you get to choose 100% what you want without being forced to do any particular subject.

Politics is for nerds.

BTW screw you Seb for beating me to 1,000 posts. I bet most of your posts are spam so I shall be appealing this! :mad:

• Advertisement

:D Heh heh, I hadn't even noticed TBH!

But now that you mention it...
    WOOOOOOO
    and indeed
    HOOOOOOO

In your stinking face Zanemeister!

SebtheBum wrote:
    :D Heh heh, I hadn't even noticed TBH!

But now that you mention it...
    WOOOOOOO
    and indeed
    HOOOOOOO

In your stinking face Zanemeister!

You are now officially in Zane's BLACK BOOK!!!! :p

P.S. after this piece of spam....... 4 to go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah that whole 9 o'clock thing is going to be a killer. But I'm kind of praying that with modularisation coming in for the 1st years they might have to change the timetable?? Kinda, sorta, maybe? It's doubtful, but I'm going to hope that I wont have 9 o'clock lectures every day!!! ahh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

There's alot of people doing politics around this place. :cool:

Well there'll be one less person next year as I'm dropping the thing, wooo, i liked it a great deal, but i can't take any more philosophy-argh!!! So next year it's italiano and geography, hurray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

BTW screw you Seb for beating me to 1,000 posts. I bet most of your posts are spam so I shall be appealing this! :mad:
    Ah I was so close, I wanted to be the 1st to 1000 posts! Ah well, as long as i beat theCzar thats the important thing :)

SebtheBum wrote:
    In answer to Mr.NiceGuy:

Ho ho ho ho ho tee hee hee hee Ba Wha HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA....

Ah, excuse me. *Wipes tear of laughter from eye*
    Oh, you'll learn soon enough, my young Padwan.

I may end up going over to the dark side - studying in the library.
    m1ke wrote:
    Good to see lots of ppl doing politics, I actually really enjoyed it. However, 2nd year is definitely the hardest and you don't get a lot of room to choose your subjects - especially if you want to engineer it so you don't have to be in at 9 in the morning

Don't tell me there are 9 o'clock classes! Please no!
    Politics is for nerds.

Uh, aren't you doing Information Studies? Neeeeeerrrrrrrrrrdddddddddd!
    Alana wrote:
    Well there'll be one less person next year as I'm dropping the thing, wooo, i liked it a great deal, but i can't take any more philosophy-argh!!! So next year it's italiano and geography, hurray!

Boo.

blondie83 wrote:
    Ah I was so close, I wanted to be the 1st to 1000 posts! Ah well, as long as i beat theCzar thats the important thing :)

C'mon blondie 2 more posts to go.... c'mon you can do it...... spam spam spam! :cool:
    Uh, aren't you doing Information Studies? Neeeeeerrrrrrrrrrdddddddddd!

Information Studies is for stupid people not nerds.

Who are you calling a nerd anyway when you spend all of your days on the internet spamming by calling people nerds..... the cheek!..........*cough*.........*cough*

Information Studies is for stupid people not nerds.

Zane has a point.

1st Information Studies is UCD's unofficial special needs course.
    Personally I think it relies on its status as such in order to survive.

kasintahan wrote:
    1st Information Studies is UCD's unofficial special needs course.

Very true! :D

However I think it's the lecturers that are the ones with the special needs for when it comes to lecturing........*cough* BTB *cough*

BTW kas......... are we going to be the only two people doing that special needs course next year? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

GusherING wrote:
    I assume so. The only communication I've had with UCD is my offer for Mode 1. I haven't heard a peep out of them with regard to anything else. I'm sure its like last year when we had to sign up for subjects in the Admin building.

Last year's second years had to confirm their attendance online. I've tried to register for third year but obviously registration for 2005/2006 must not have started yet. But it'll be computerised if the recent trends have anything to do with it.

Second year is full of 9 am starts. That's the joy of second year. Plus, politics is vicious. It's reputedly the most failed subject in Arts. Stinky-poo.

AngelofFire - unless you applied for Mode 1 Psychology, you were virtually guaranteed a pass. I've only ever heard of one person failing. And I can't guarantee that he didn't have the i.q. of a piece of cheese.

My advice to anyone who gets a Mode 1 offer is to accept it if they're even thinking about doing it. You can always decline if you don't like it once the year has started, but if you've made the wrong choice in choosing a two subject degree and decide too late, there's no going back, someone else will have been offered your place. It's hard at first, doing only one subject, but it's far easier to concentrate on one thing than to jump from one to the next all the time - in my opinion anyway. I'm studying Mode 1 English - it's crazy (and you probably wouldn't guess from the state of my grammar!), but it's the best choice I ever made, and I almost rejected the offer.

Advertisement