Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No "For Sale" signs a new trend?

Options
  • 22-07-2005 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I noticed my 4th house yesterday that was up for sale on a website yet no "For Sale" sign. It seems really odd to me that people aren't putting up signs but is there some reason I am not aware of? One of them was really strange because I vaguely knew the people and asked how the sale was going and they said the house wasn't for sale. I know it was none of my business but it seems like strange behaviour as generally the idea is to get people interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Could it be perhaps they arent actually selling the house at the moment but checking to see if there is any interest in it or looking to get an idea of what someone will offer them?

There are personal reasons for being secretive about stuff, maybe they need the money and are embarassed to tell people they are selling and downsizing? It does seem a strange thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

3 of them have been sold the 4th is new to the market so I don't think it is feeler experiment.

I can imagine somebody being secretive about why they are selling and prices but to not advertise seems like cutting your nose of despite your face.

Even with the internet a good old fashioned sign does wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They might want to be keeping it quiet if they have problems with their neighbours or something like that - if there's a major row going on and you have a real ****er next door, they might decide to egg the place regularly or blast the stereo and TV 24/7 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Ignore....just read your post properly.

They might want to be keeping it quiet if they have problems with their neighbours or something like that - if there's a major row going on and you have a real ****er next door, they might decide to egg the place regularly or blast the stereo and TV 24/7 :)

I am nearly 100% positive there is no problem with neighbours. One only had OAPs on either side that could not be any trouble and the other is really close to my own house, I guess I could be the trouble neighbour though :D
    I have heard of people sabataging poytential sales like that though so it is a possibility but I don't think anything like that stays a secret from neighbours really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ever see the streetscapes in London in the late 1980s? A dozen for sale signs on the one terrace?

Perhaps the street isn't selling and adding signs would make it not sell even more? Or the agents may just be filling their site with old sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Signs cost money and a vendor can refuse that expense if they wish, in a situation where a number of similar properties have sold recently there are often a large number of underbidders still in the market. Most purchasers also check agencies as opposed to drive around or else do both. This seems like a very good idea as only those in the market know what a vendors intentions are.

Victor wrote:
    Ever see the streetscapes in London in the late 1980s? A dozen for sale signs on the one terrace?

Perhaps the street isn't selling and adding signs would make it not sell even more? Or the agents may just be filling their site with old sales.

If that was the case I would see the point but the houses on the streets have been selling quickly and there aren't that many houses on the market in the areas. I don't think the agents are worried about the number of signs either as many places end up with a ton of them once the estates are complete.
    Thomond Pk wrote:
    Signs cost money and a vendor can refuse that expense if they wish, in a situation where a number of similar properties have sold recently there are often a large number of underbidders still in the market. Most purchasers also check agencies as opposed to drive around or else do both. This seems like a very good idea as only those in the market know what a vendors intentions are.
    You could have it there but the more people interested the better IMHO. Sometimes you might not be looking but advertisement might make you think about it or let somebody else who might be interested know.
    Anybody know what the agents charge for a sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Some people just dont like having a sign in there garden be it genreally housewives.

I think a for sale sign cost about €80 to put up.

Another reason is a for sale sign can attract burglers, and it also attracts house hunters and they cna often gather around the house admiring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

maybe they don't want nosy neighbours coming around asking them how their sale is going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

joejoem wrote:
    , and it also attracts house hunters and they cna often gather around the house admiring it.

helpful if u want to sell....
    i always thought it was lazyiness on the part of the estate agents. maybe they sell very quickly, who knows?

i
    always thought it was lazyiness on the part of the estate agents. maybe they sell very quickly, who knows?

The estate agent always offers to put up a sign....free advertising for the firm. Its up to the vendor

i

The estate agent always offers to put up a sign....free advertising for the firm. Its up to the vendor

I really was trying to find out why not who is making the decision. I still just seems odd but if they charge €80 for the sign I can see why. I never understand how agents charge a commission and charge additionally for everything involved in the sale it really seems like a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Could be that they owe money and don't want to let their creditors know they are moving.

We bought a house from someone, and spent the first three months answering the door to different debt collcetors who were pretty miffed to find out the previous owners had moved on.

I really was trying to find out why not who is making the decision

The vendor amkes the desision.

I see your point on the other topic. I would think it is because everything else is extra on top of the basic service. Kind of like getting a higher spec on your car. One person may want lather seats, another may not.

Advertisement