Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two teens executed in Iran for having gay sex

Options
  • 22-07-2005 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

37.jpg
    LONDON, July 21 – Two gay teenagers were publicly executed in Iran on 19 July 2005 for the ‘crime’ of homosexuality. The youths were hanged in Edalat (Justice) Square in the city of Mashhad, in north east Iran. They were sentenced to death by Court No. 19.

Iran enforces Islamic Sharia law, which dictates the death penalty for gay sex.

One youth was aged 18 and the other was a minor under the age of 18. They were only identified by their initials, M.A. and A.M.

They admitted – probably under torture, London-based gay human rights group Outrage! suggests – to having gay sex but claimed in their defence that most young boys had sex with each other and that they were not aware that homosexuality was punishable by death.

Prior to their execution, the teenagers were held in prison for 14 months and severely beaten with 228 lashes.

Their length of detention suggests that they committed the so-called offences more than a year earlier, when they were possibly around the age of 16.

Ruhollah Rezazadeh, the lawyer of the youngest boy (under 18), had appealed that he was too young to be executed and that the court should take into account his young age (believed to be 16 or 17). But the Supreme Court in Tehran ordered him to be hanged.

Under the Iranian penal code, girls as young as nine and boys as young as 15 can be hanged.

Three other young gay Iranians are being hunted by the police, but they have gone into hiding and cannot be found. If caught, they will also face execution.

News of the two executions was reported by ISNA (Iranian Students News Agency) on 19 July.

A later news story by Iran In Focus, allegedly based on this original ISNA report, claimed the youths were executed for sexually assaulting a 13 year old boy. But the ISNA report does not mention any sexual assault.

A report of the executions on the website of the respected democratic opposition movement, The National Council of Resistance Of Iran, also makes no reference to a sexual assault.

The allegation of sexual assault may either be a trumped up charge to undermine public sympathy for the youths, a frequent tactic by the Islamist regime in Iran.

Or, Outrage! Suggests, it may be that the 13 year old was a willing participant but that Iranian law (like UK law) deems that no person of that age is capable of sexual consent and that therefore any sexual contact is automatically deemed in law to be a sex assault.

If the 13 year old was sexually assaulted, why was he not identified and also put on trial (under Iranian law both the victims and perpetrators of sexual crimes are punished)?

Full story in Farsi from ISNA, with three photographs can be seen at http://isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-556874

“This is just the latest barbarity by the Islamo-fascists in Iran,” said Peter Tatchell of the London-based gay human rights group OutRage!

“The entire country is a gigantic prison, with Islamic rule sustained by detention without trial, torture and state-sanctioned murder.

“According to Iranian human rights campaigners, over 4,000 lesbians and gay men have been executed since the Ayatollahs seized power in 1979.

“Altogether, an estimated 100,000 Iranians have been put to death over the last 26 years of clerical rule. The victims include women who have sex outside of marriage and political opponents of the Islamist government.

“Last August, a 16 year old girl, Atefeh Rajabi, was hanged for ‘acts incompatible with chasity.’

“Britain’s Labour government is pursuing friendly relations with this murderous regime, including aid and trade. We urge the international community to treat Iran as a pariah state, break off diplomatic relations, impose trade sanctions and give practical support to the democratic and left opposition inside Iran,” said Tatchell.

Outrage! Is calling for world-wide urgent action and asks that you protest to the Iranian Ambassador at the Embassy in your country. In addition, Outrage! asks that you also press your government to take urgent action against Iran.

■ Last week in Nigeria, Yusuf Kabir (40) and 18-year-old Usman Sani appeared before Judge Mustapha Sani Saulawa at Katsina’s Sharia Court Number Three charged with committing sodomy. The hearing was adjourned until early August. If convicted, the pair could face death by stoning.

Earlier this month, Reuters reported from Nigeria that a 50 years-old man had been sentenced to death by stoning after admitting to a judge that he had had homosexual sex. This was immediately after the court had found him not guilty of having sex with a teenage boy.
    Source

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Not that i think it would have done much good but you would have thought that UNICEF would have intervened. Iran is a member of the UN and so i would have thought that "The United Nations Declariation of Human Rights" and the "United Nations Rights of the Child Act" would have to be applied.

But apparently you can be a member of the UN and not have to sign up to any fundamental policies like the ones above.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

That's barbaric... are they still living in the Stone Age over there? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yes they are, welcome to islam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ShreddedHumans

What's most disturbing is it was done legally in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Thats awful. Poor boys. The girl killed for "acts incompatable with chastity" is even worse again. No act necessary to be executed, just the mere suggestion of not being chaste. Did her skirt blow up in the wind or something?
    I get really upset when I read about how women are treated in these countries. They are little more than dogs in the eyes of the men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This was a terrible thing, a gross human rights violation but

cries of condemnation about how primitive or barbaric Iranians and other Muslims are is a tad intolerant and hypocritical. Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity. What kind of dumb ass **** were us enlightened westerners doing in the 16th century?

IMO the aggressive manner in which the west tries to spread its culture into the Islamic world makes them cling stronger to the Koran and will prolong these "barbaric" acts.

Yes these were terrible things but just because we now know better doesnt mean the Iranians should. In much the same way as a parent must let their children make their own mistakes so they can learn from them we cant force our own beliefs upon the Muslim world.

In time these horrible acts of repression based on religious texts will stop, the same way as the Jews and Christians have seen the error of our ways. Its a horrible pity that so much violence and suffering will probably transpire before progress is made but tbh I cant see any lasting progress unless it happens organically.

Rather than just saying this is terrible or Islamic loons X, Y or Z; if we better understand the situation perhaps there is some way to make a difference. As daft as it seems I think if the west stopped putting pressure on Iran in the form of sanctions, trade, helping political dissidents, etc etc that long lasting change would come about quicker. I think people left to make their own choices will come to the right ones, though it may be hard for us to sit idle in the mean time.

Just my 2% of standard monetary unit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

they were children
    I just cannot comprehend the type of people who do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Horrible story. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Thats just so wrong!! hunting and killing people for their sexuality!!!!

and the girl what did she do!!!!!!!!!!

meaning of chastity.

Chastity is a virtue (like courage or honesty) that applies to a person’s sexuality. It means that you take all of your sexual desires and order them according to the demands of real love. For example, when you love a person, you make whatever sacrifice is best for them and you do whatever is necessary to keep from harming them. Chastity means that you take this definition of love and apply it to sex.

Some think that chastity simply means “no sex.” But that’s abstinence: focusing on what you can’t do and can’t have. Chastity is what you can do and can have, right now: a lifestyle that brings freedom, respect, peace, and even romance—without regret. Chastity frees a couple from the selfish attitude of using each other as objects, thus making them capable of true love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

http://kundalini-support.com/Atefeh.html

http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engmde130362004

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1399081/posts

Last August, Atefeh Rajabi, a 16-year-old girl in this town, was publicly hanged for what the religious judge called “acts incompatible with chastity”.

Atefeh died in front of residents in this industrial town near the Caspian Sea on August 15, after suffering years of brutal violence, exploitation and torture in the hands of local officials including some of those arrested in the recent raids.

When Iran Focus broke the news of her execution and revealed the abuse she suffered at the hands of local officials, the Iranian government vehemently denied the report as “sheer lies”.

The religious judge who ordered the execution put the rope around Atefeh’s neck and later received a letter of “congratulations” from the town’s governor, commending him for his “firm approach”.

Atefeh had no access to a lawyer at any stage and her death sentence was upheld by a Supreme Court that is dominated by fundamentalist mullahs. Haji Rezaii, the religious judge, was reportedly so incensed with Atefeh’s “sharp tongue” during the trial that he travelled to Tehran to convince the clerics of the Supreme Court to uphold the death sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The girl killed for "acts incompatable with chastity" is even worse again. No act necessary to be executed, just the mere suggestion of not being chaste. Did her skirt blow up in the wind or something?
    Well, she was charged and convicted of having sex outside of marriage. For an unmarried woman this would normally carry a sentence of 100 lashes, but the judge deemed that she had "a sharp tongue" (apparantly because she claimed to be the victim of the man's unwelcome advances) and for "undressing in court" (apparantly because she took off her headscarf), and as such sentenced her to death, despite there being no legal basis for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PipeDreams

I managed to get this story up on www.breakingnews.ie

see http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/07/22/story212948.html

And this will be syndicated to several other news websites:-

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=9795608&p=9795654&n=9795696

http://www.irishnews.com/access/breakingnews/story.asp?j=39182432&p=39y8z6y6&n=39182655&x=

It will also appear on the breakingnews.ie rss feeds, O2 mobile wap site and many other websites.

Hopefully this story will be seen by many more people now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ok why the hell was my post deleted, I asked the guy to change the colour of his font, so it can be read. The text aint showign up under cloud skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dedalus05

Can I suggest everyone please take the time to send a letter or an email expressing their outrage and disgust to the address below. If you don't get a reply, send it again.

Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran
    72 Mount Merrion Avenue
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin
    Tel: 01 288 0252 /01 288 5881
    Fax: 01 283 4246
    E.Mail: iranembassy@indigo.ie

Maybe someone with some writing skills can suggest the text of a letter, so that people can copy and paste?

Dedalus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

This story is not only homophobic, but definitely one that breaches all kinds of ethics in todday's society.

We have two teenagers hung for their sexuality. And I would certainly love to ask the Iranian government what was wrong with two men loving each other. If they used the religious excuse, I would certainly tell them "stop telling god what to do".

I'm surprised that they would even hang people in today's day and age.

This whole story is just wrong and I can't believe they'll get away with doing this! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It's a means of controlling people, pure and simple. you select one, or multiple parts of your society and bestow unbelievable atrocities against them. They become a scapegoat for all the problems of your society and the way in which you threat them is a message to your people, should they decide to challenge you. Also homosexuality has always been thought of as subversives and counter establishment, "they walk among us" type mentality. That doesn't go down well in a totalitarian government.

I am urging everyone to make their concerns known to their local TD who will take the concerns of their constituents seriously. There are three other boys at risk here if they are apprehended. Below is the best I could do with regard to a letter template. Please copy it and email or post it ASAP.

Your Address,
    Drumcondra,
    Dublin 9.
    Ireland.

July 23, 2005

An Taoiseach, Mr Bertie Ahern, TD

Dear Mr. Ahern:

I am writing to you because I am concerned about reports that on 19th July 2005, an 18-year-old, identified only as A. M. and a minor, Mahmoud A, were publicly hanged in the north-eastern Iranian city of Mashhad. According to reports, they were convicted of sexual assault on a 13-year-old boy and had been detained 14 months ago. However reports also indicate that the charges of assault are a smokescreen, and that these two teenagers were executed for the crime of homosexuality. Prior to their execution, the two were also given 228 lashes each for drinking, disturbing the peace and theft.

So far this year, Iran has executed at least four persons for crimes committed when they were children including one who was still a child.

As a state party to the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights and the Convention on the Rights of the Child, Iran has undertaken not to execute anyone for an offence committed when they were under the age of 18 and yet they continue to do so.

Mr. Ahern, I urge you to address the Iranian Government or their Ambassador in Ireland to inform them of our grave concern over their continued practice of executing minors. To ask them to take the necessary steps to immediately suspend the execution of all death penalties imposed on persons for having committed a crime before the age of 18, and to suspend immediately the imposition and execution of all forms of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, such as amputation, flogging or stoning, for crimes committed by persons under 18.

Last but not least, there are further reports that three other young gay Iranians are reportedly being hunted by police, but they are said to have gone into hiding and cannot be found. I am very concerned about the legal status of these three boys, and ask you to address the Iranian Government to seek assurances of their physical safety and guarantees that they will not be subjected to torture or ill treatment if apprehended.

Thank you for your attention in this matter, and I hope to hear from you very soon. In the meantime I will make my concerns known directly to the Iranian Ambassador to Ireland, His Excellency Mr. Seyed Hossein Mirfakhar.

Yours Sincerely,

Dedalus05

cc: Embassy of Iran, Dublin, Ireland

Ok, and one to the Iranian Ambassador -

Your Address,
    Drumcondra,
    Dublin 9.
    Ireland.

July 23, 2005

His Excellency Mr. Seyed Hossein Mirfakhar
    Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran
    72 Mount Merrion Avenue
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin

Your Excellency:

I am writing to you because I am concerned about reports that on 19th July 2005, an 18-year-old, identified only as A. M. and a minor, Mahmoud A, were publicly hanged in the north-eastern Iranian city of Mashhad. According to reports, they were convicted of sexual assault on a 13-year-old boy and had been detained 14 months ago. However reports also indicate that the charges of assault are a smokescreen, and that these two teenagers were executed for the crime of homosexuality. Prior to their execution, the two were also given 228 lashes each for drinking, disturbing the peace and theft.

So far this year, your country has executed at least four persons for crimes committed when they were children including one who was still a child.

As a state party to the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights and the Convention on the Rights of the Child, Iran has undertaken not to execute anyone for an offence committed when they were under the age of 18 and yet they continue to do so.

Your Excellency, I urge you to address the your Government to inform them of the grave concern of the people of Ireland over their continued practice of executing minors. To ask them to take the necessary steps to immediately suspend the execution of all death penalties imposed on persons for having committed a crime before the age of 18, and to suspend immediately the imposition and execution of all forms of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, such as amputation, flogging or stoning, for crimes committed by persons under 18.

Last but not least, there are further reports that three other young gay Iranians are reportedly being hunted by police, but they are said to have gone into hiding and cannot be found. I am very concerned about the legal status of these three boys, and ask you to address the your Government to seek assurances of their physical safety and guarantees that they will not be subjected to torture or ill treatment if apprehended.

I would like to visit your beautiful country someday and hope to do so when it appears that the human rights of all citizens in Iran are respected. Thank you for looking into this matter and I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Dedalus05

cc: An Taoiseach, Mr Bertie Ahern, TD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i wouldnt recommend setting foot in iran or any country in the middle east or pakistan tbh, they are backward people a doctor friend of mine spent alot of time out there and called them 'rag heads' make up your own mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The whole thing is sickening, but what caught my eye as I was reading the extract was "under Iranian law both the victims and perpetrators of sexual crimes are punished". I can't believe I've just read that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The girl killed for "acts incompatable with chastity" is even worse again.

How's that work? It's about the same thing.
    lomb wrote:
    i wouldnt recommend setting foot in iran or any country in the middle east or pakistan tbh, they are backward people a doctor friend of mine spent alot of time out there and called them 'rag heads' make up your own mind....

Well, that tells me that your doctor friend is a brainless bigot. The policies are deeply wrong, the people are people. Sadly (possibly; what western inteference there has been in the area has been almost universally disasterous and counterproductive), the west (excluding the old Soviet Union) is extremely unwilling to interfere with the fundamentalist Middle Eastern countries; one or two (Saudi, Kuwait) are even propped up by western governments.

Afraid it is not just the policies that are wrong it is the people. they are genuinely very 'rough' people, in many ways not even human. they lack what we would call basic humanity. i have also spent time around them and i can assure u although they are very friendly they are also very very backward. they actually think that hanging people is normal for stuff like that, i am not joking u....
    they also think nothing of inbreeding, apart from genetic problems with that there are also other complex issues, they tend to repress their natural emotions as people and thus become in many ways inhuman. that is just my opinion but i base it on alot of observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

its there country, let them run it how they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

lomb wrote:
    Afraid it is not just the policies that are wrong it is the people. they are genuinely very 'rough' people, in many ways not even human. they lack what we would call basic humanity. i have also spent time around them and i can assure u although they are very friendly they are also very very backward. they actually think that hanging people is normal for stuff like that, i am not joking u.....

You know that up until the late 19th century it was normal to hang children for stealing in the UK, right? Are English people inhuman? No, they just used to have silly laws. In this country a few decades ago we put random people in Magdalene laundries to slave for the church till they died. Were we inhuman? No. Silly laws, and poor education. That attitudes of a people can be turned around.

lomb wrote:
    they also think nothing of inbreeding, apart from genetic problems with that there are also other complex issues, they tend to repress their natural emotions as people and thus become in many ways inhuman. that is just my opinion but i base it on alot of observation.

Nor does a good chunk of the western world. Inbreeding at what level?
    its there country, let them run it how they like.

"Hitler is killing millions of people in concentration camps." "It's his country, let him run it how he likes". Where do you draw the line? "South Africa treats 90% of its population like slaves, and has those who dissent tortured and killed". "It's their country, let them run it how they like". But international pressure turned South Africa around. "In Israel, Palestinians are tortured, and their towns demolished". "It's their country, let them run it how they like". But a few years ago, the Israeli Supreme Court banned most forms of what the EU considers torture, and is now looking at pulling out of some of the territories. All under international pressure. Get the point? Say Ireland announced it was going to start executing people who can't spell. What would you think then? ;)

Don't get me wrong, no-one should go in guns blazing. That almost never works. But the current situation in Iran is the international community's fault. Economic pressure should be put on Iran to move away from Fundamentalism. Along with the other Fundamentalist countries (Saudi, Yemen etc.) and those who are heading in that direction (US, Iraq).
    JBoyle4eva wrote:
    I'm surprised that they would even hang people in today's day and age.

Really? It's one of the most humane methods of execution currently used, as long as it's done properly. The electric chair and gas chamber were introduced largely for shock value, and are horrendously inhumane. The lethal injection, at least in the US, is very often applied incorrectly and leads to considerable suffering. Death by firing squad is a symbolic millitary thing, though at least China uses it for civil executions. Both developed nations who practice execution (US, Japan) hang people.

they arent hanging them in the traditional sense by breaking their neck, they are slowly hoisting them into the air using a crane, essentially slowly strangaling them, like i said they are backward people...
    and u are right the gas chamber and electric chair are very inhumane and have been consigned to history.
    capital punishment is a sign of backward people in many ways imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i'm just lost for words tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Dedalus05 wrote:
    I am urging everyone to make their concerns known to their local TD who will take the concerns of their constituents seriously. There are three other boys at risk here if they are apprehended. Below is the best I could do with regard to a letter template. Please copy it and email or post it ASAP.

Your Address,
    Drumcondra,
    Dublin 9.
    Ireland.

July 23, 2005

An Taoiseach, Mr Bertie Ahern, TD

Dear Mr. Ahern:

So far this year, Iran has executed at least four persons for crimes committed when they were children including one who was still a child.

Mr. Ahern, I urge you to address the Iranian Government or their Ambassador in Ireland to inform them of our grave concern over their continued practice of executing minors. To ask them to take the necessary steps to immediately suspend the execution of all death penalties imposed on persons for having committed a crime before the age of 18, and to suspend immediately the imposition and execution of all forms of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, such as amputation, flogging or stoning, for crimes committed by persons under 18.

Last but not least, there are further reports that three other young gay Iranians are reportedly being hunted by police, but they are said to have gone into hiding and cannot be found. I am very concerned about the legal status of these three boys, and ask you to address the Iranian Government to seek assurances of their physical safety and guarantees that they will not be subjected to torture or ill treatment if apprehended.

Thank you for your attention in this matter, and I hope to hear from you very soon. In the meantime I will make my concerns known directly to the Iranian Ambassador to Ireland, His Excellency Mr. Seyed Hossein Mirfakhar.

Yours Sincerely,

Dedalus05

cc: Embassy of Iran, Dublin, Ireland
    this is all well and good, but what difference will it really make?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Beruthiel wrote:
    they were children
    I just cannot comprehend the type of people who do this
    i'd say the same sort of people who strap explosives to young men and women and convince them to blow themselves up in public for 'the greater good'.

and there a few weeks ago i saw something about iran trying to improve it's outside appearance to the west. good job guys. :rolleyes:

LundiMardi,

"this is all well and good, but what difference will it really make?".

Harrassing governments and you local representatives can make a huge difference. Remember there are three other boys being hunted in connection with these two teens. If caught there is a stong likelyhood they will be executed. However, if enough people ask what is to become of them, there is every chance they will survive.

What will you think if in a few weeks or months you see that these three boys are dead, and you did nothing?

The letters are there. Just print them, sign them (in blue pen to show they are not copies), and send em. It'll take a few minutes.

Dedalus

Here are some quotes from the Amnesty International website regarding letter writing campaigns. I think the third one is true for all of us.

“I am writing to inform you that after 6 years, 4 months, 17 days in prison, I am now free. I walked out of the prison gate… with my shoulders unbent, with my head unbowed. I feel great to be free again, to walk, once again, in the sunshine of freedom.” - university lecturer in history and former POC Maina Wa Kinyatti, Kenya

“We could always tell when international protests were taking place… the food rations increased and the beatings were fewer. Letters from abroad were translated and passed around from cell to cell...” - a released POC, Vietnam

“You are not dead, because too many people are concerned about you”
    - a security agent to a political prisoner, Argentina

“Although the official investigations still have not turned anything up, the letters and faxes you sent to our offices and to government agencies have been very important. They have assured us that we are not alone and they have shown the government that an entire international network is aware of anything that might happen to us, and is ready to respond.”
    -- human rights defender Victor Manuel Quintana, Mexico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Some of the attitudes displayed in this thread are as worrying as those in Iran. Wipes out any superior feeling we might have been feeling, that's for sure.

Advertisement