Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two teens executed in Iran for having gay sex

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Its the state that decides upon hanging gays,not islam,thats my point.

You mean the state of the Islamic Republic of Iran?

It's all so clear to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

So they raped a 13 year old boy?

This a cover up or the the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Definitely. For one thing, they confessed under torture so I don't think you can take their confession as being reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Well apparently they sexually assaulted a 13 year old. That was the reason that they were executed. As they were tortured, I wouldnt really be shocked to hear that it was an admission under torture.
    Fact was that if it is true, they were still under 18 when the crim was committed and so by international law (a law that Iran has signed up to) they should not have been tried as adults and so they should not have been executed.
    The Convention on the Rights of the Child and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights prohibit imposing the death penalty for crimes committed before the age of 18, the rights group said. Iran has ratified both treaties.
    Linky

Under Sharia law the person who commits the crime is punished as well as the victim. I wonder was the 13 year old, now 15(?) also punished for what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm keeping an open mind on whether to actually believe that story about the 13 year old - how do we know this was not the Iranian authorities trying to find an excuse and lessen the impact of these executions,

I'm not saying I don't believe it just saying that I'm not sure either way what to believe

it is important before we all jump to conclusions to see what ILGA and IGLHRC are saying

http://www.ilga.org/news_results.asp?FileCategory=9&ZoneID=3&FileID=681

http://www.iglhrc.org/site/iglhrc/section.php?id=5&detail=577

anyway regardless of the facts execution is still in my opinion wrong

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Of course its wrong.. but this thread is gone if its gonna go about law etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I don't understand your sentence, but guessing what you mean still makes little sense.

Islam can not defend itself by distancing itself as a religion from "actions of state" when @ its core is a belief that the state should be governed by Islamic Law/Tenets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I don't understand your sentence, but guessing what you mean still makes little sense.

Islam can not defend itself by distancing itself as a religion from "actions of state" when @ its core is a belief that the state should be governed by Islamic Law/Tenets

Please bear in mind that in Catholic-ruled countries like Spain a few centuries ago, they'd have done something rather nastier to them, and wouldn't have bothered with little details like evidence. Some (not all) of the Middle Eastern countries are just a little behind in removing the Church from where it has no business being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I appreciate your point byt I am fully aware of the history, however no one should be a slave to the past, I thik it much more helpful to be more and fully aware of the NOW 2005, and the reality of the world we now live in.

I woould dispute your comment on Mid Eastern countries. I'd argue that, leavign aside those run by dictatorships or monarchies, that all states with a majority muslim population tends toward enshrinin their religious tenets in legislation.

There is some sense to this, law being a reasonable dictate for the common good (or whatever Aquinas said) why would you not push the truths you believe in?

The problem with ALL established religions is their reliance on tradition and on scripture written in a very different time, and a very different world.

I already commented that the Irish mindset so influenced by the RC allowed situations like anne lovett dying in a cemetery after childbirth.

Bearing in mind the past, and people's sensitivities etc, allowing for slow progress is all find, and often the only option, it however then means that individuals suffer until the change comes about, and in this case two sacred unique lives were ended. THe method and cause of their deaths remains abhorrent, all things considered

• Advertisement
Advertisement