Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to poach an egg

• 22-07-2005 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Dont know if this has been posted before but i found this article - quite funny - he tries methods listed on the web on how to poach an egg - the last one is particularly clever - really want to try it myself as i always end up with a glutenous mass

http://www.b3ta.com/features/howtopoachanegg/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The last one peaked my interest. will be tried tomorrow for brekky :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Indeed the last one looks like an excellent option - too bad brekkie has passed for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Brilliant. I never thought of doing it like the last one. Gotta try this one! if any of you do, post and let us knw how you have worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Obviously he didn't create a proper vortex - a wooden spoon is too big.

I'd be concerned about the taste of cling film on my egg though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The key to poached eggs is freshness, if you use less fresh eggs the white is starting to break up and you get a frothy mess.
    Drop of vinegar in the water and spin the water to create a whirlpool, that'll normally do it.

<edit> you can see in his Delia Smith example that his eggs are not fresh by the spread on the egg, it is all over the pan, you cant blame the method, his eggs are old. The cling film method does look like it will work on older eggs, but it's not really a poached egg is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Actually, the key to a good poached egg is to not boil it. Yes you need a fresh egg, a drop of vinegar is good, and stirring the water will keep it from sticking, but poaching is not the same as boiling. It is gentle, less than a simmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually, the key to a good poached egg is to not boil it. Yes you need a fresh egg, a drop of vinegar is good, and stirring the water will keep it from sticking, but poaching is not the same as boiling. It is gentle, less than a simmer.
    That's right. Any significant bubbling of the water and the egg breaks up and makes a complete mess. See http://www.deliaonline.com/cookeryschool/howto/how_0000000012.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I tried the clingfilm tactic, the result wasn`t bad at all and I was pleased with it as I am completly incompetent in cooking poached eggs with the vortex/whirlpool thingy-me-bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

The cling film idea is ingenious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The vortex technique had me crying with laughter. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cling film is a good idea, I'd say a sandwich bag would be ok too, or you could use a.. no I won't say it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

did the cling film job this morning - worked a treat - a little bit of white stuc to the cling film - but all in all it was a success - nice runny yolk.

Actually did two eggs in the 1 cling film. I'm still savouring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    did the cling film job this morning - worked a treat - a little bit of white stuc to the cling film - but all in all it was a success - nice runny yolk.

Actually did two eggs in the 1 cling film. I'm still savouring it.

Oh ye, me too ( although not the 2 egg method,,which is now on the list!!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I always use the "vortex" method although not with a wooden spoon :eek:

Its a perfect method gently getting the perfect round shape to the egg.

Advertisement