Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership - PreSeason Top Goalscorer Bet

• 22-07-2005 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

I've done well with this bet the last couple of seasons. Great to pick an outsider and get a run for your money. Sure I could throw a few quid on Henry, but (a) Tiny Odds (b) I think the exit of Viera is the end of Arsenal era, and Sulky boots Henry will leave at Christmas.

Had Defoe e/w last season 40/1 and collected.

This season with Andy Cole arriving at Man City (Cole is from Nottingham, and good pals with Pearce), I think Cole and Fowler will be the leading strike partnership in the Premiership next season.

So Fowler to awaken from his 4 year sleep ..... 100/1 .... good value bet IMHO. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

H Crespo 14-1
    What a bet!!!

Crespo at 14-1!!
    I'm putting a fiver on that.

Van Nist at 4.5 - 1 is a good bet too if ya ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

PHB wrote:
    H Crespo 14-1
    What a bet!!!

Crespo at 14-1!!
    I'm putting a fiver on that.

Van Nist at 4.5 - 1 is a good bet too if ya ask me.

Would agree that Crespo is worth a punt at that price, although is Crespo 'up for it' is a question for another day.

I don't think Van Nist is a good price at all, very skimpy. I'm not doubting the mans goalscoring capabilities, just the price of 9/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Last year I put £2 on each competition for Liverpool to win it - worked quite well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Culchie wrote:

This season with Andy Cole arriving at Man City (Cole is from Nottingham, and good pals with Pearce), I think Cole and Fowler will be the leading strike partnership in the Premiership next season.

So Fowler to awaken from his 4 year sleep ..... 100/1 .... good value bet IMHO. :)

As a lifelong blue I like your thinking but I imagine SP will bring in another striker, Vassell or Kanoute of some french/african lad Willie McKay will unearth, who will be first choice. While I feel Cole is a very shrewd piece of bidness by SP, I can't see him starting every game. What price is The Duke for top scorer?

Juan Pablo wrote:
    What price is The Duke for top scorer?

Sorry Juan, no idea of the code ! :o

Fowler 100/1 Gotta be worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what odds on Steven Gerrard? If he keeps playing this advanced role, he could get himself a few. Doubt he'll make top scorer but he's lookin good for CL already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Culchie wrote:
    Sorry Juan, no idea of the code ! :o

Fowler 100/1 Gotta be worth a punt.

Nathan "Duke" Eliington, Striker (C), Wigan Athletic :D

24 goals last season, he knows where the net is. May even move in January if he has a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lex Luthor wrote:
    what odds on Steven Gerrard? If he keeps playing this advanced role, he could get himself a few. Doubt he'll make top scorer but he's lookin good for CL already.

Goals in the qualifiers dont count, only from the group stage on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Culchie wrote:
    I've done well with this bet the last couple of seasons. Great to pick an outsider and get a run for your money. Sure I could throw a few quid on Henry, but (a) Tiny Odds (b) I think the exit of Viera is the end of Arsenal era, and Sulky boots Henry will leave at Christmas.

Had Defoe e/w last season 40/1 and collected.

Hmm Henry has been given the captaincy so I really doubt he is going to leave. Although fowler is good value id be very surprised if he reaches double figures.

Cole is just so past it.

Henry will finish top again imo. He has finished top scorer for the last 2 years and I dont see anybody in his class coming in to challenge him as the best striker in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what odds are for Owen?

when he comes back to Liverpool in Jan, he shouldn't take long to reach double digits

• Advertisement

Liverpool wouldn't score enough goals as a team post Christmass to catch up with Henry, let alone Owen alone

jank wrote:

Henry will finish top again imo. He has finished top scorer for the last 2 years and I dont see anybody in his class coming in to challenge him as the best striker in the league.

maybe he will, but he is unbackable really at 9/4 ....no fun in that.

I'd snap any mans hand off if he gave me odds on Fowler getting not getting in double figures next season.

Shall be an interesting project ! :) -->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Yakubu each way 25/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Cheers for the tip PHB. I'm definitely on Crespo at that price. I think he's a cert for an e/w bet if he stays injury free. e/w basically puts him at 3.5/1 to finish in the top 3.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm not convinced Crespo will even be a regular starter, he's got Drogba and Eidur G to compete with for a place.

Henry at the peak of his powers, getting a third consecutive European Golden Boot award looks like a good bet to me... if the odds weren't shít, that is.

RVN is the only serious competitor to Henry that I can see, although I like Cisse and I fancy him to score a lot of goals this season if he doesn't break something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Culchie wrote:
    I think Cole and Fowler will be the leading strike partnership in the Premiership next season.
    Would have been a really intriguing prospect a few years ago, but when I look at them now I see two strikers who are shadows of their former selves.
    PHB's Crespo tip was interesting, 14/1 is good for someone who was in great form last season in Serie A. Plus I think he's twice the player Drogba is.
    But I still think it will be between Henry and Van Nistelrooy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Think I'll go for Ruud. I think he will blow away his doubters this year. Henry is still favourite for the top I think so might make it e/w on RVN.

Crespo is a great bet - It will keep you guessing all season as he is talented as fk! Although may not start as much as he would like. I fancy Eidur and Crespo as the best strike partnership for Chelsea. I don't rate Drogba at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

kaids wrote:
    Henry at the peak of his powers, getting a third consecutive European Golden Boot award looks like a good bet to me... if the odds weren't shít, that is.

Henry Didn't win the golden boot this year, Diego Forlan did. :eek:

I have to go with the crespo bet. He scored 10 League goals in 800 minutes of football in 2003/04 season. He is a brilliant striker and will score lots of goals against the crap defences.

evilhomer wrote:
    Henry Didn't win the golden boot this year, Diego Forlan did. :eek:
    They actually tied I think.

Interesting point about Cole and Fowler. Who would have predicted 6 or 7 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wouldn't be worried about Crespo starting. If all players were fit last season Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Ferreira, Duff, Lampard, Makelele and Robben were guaranteed to start. Gallas would probably be added to that list too as Mourinho didn't seem to rate Bridge. Its only up front that Mourinho couldn't find a settled player but he seems to rate Crespo. Crespo will start every game he's available for if he hits the ground running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Wonder what the odds were on Luke Moore before yesterday?! Scored SIX in Sweden! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

PHB wrote:
    Liverpool wouldn't score enough goals as a team post Christmass to catch up with Henry, let alone Owen alone

is that just like they wouldn't beat Juve, Chelsea or Ac Milan?? if you have nothing to add to the topic just keep your mouth shut and your sh*te to yourself

Crouch each way!! :)

Henry is going to score about 25 goals next season, maybe more.
    Liverpool scored 52
    Roughly half way mark at Christmas.

Pretty accurate

PHB wrote:
    Henry is going to score about 25 goals next season, maybe more.
    Liverpool scored 52
    Roughly half way mark at Christmas.

Pretty accurate
    Pretty accurate, but if that were the case you would be wrong.

Advertisement