Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fingerprint reader

• 22-07-2005 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

I have the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader. It's great....works really well etc....one problem, I store my password for my work email, however this expires every 70days & has to be changed. There doesn't seem to be any way of modifying a stored password, other than doin a complete reinstall of the software....anybody got a workaround?
    prod_top-fpreader.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could ask the admins at work to allow you to keep a static password, but they should not allow it.

could you use one of your other fingers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

the changing password procedure is determined by some policies stored and managed from the server,the Domain Controller in your network !

Ask you IT man to find a work around,without breaching the IT policy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

To be honest I don't want to go down the road of contacting the network admins etc.... I work for a company with very strict security policies & I would need to be damned important(which I am not) before any leeway would be given.
    Surely there should be some way of modifying the stored password
    could you use one of your other fingers ?
    No....thats not the way the device works. When you go on to a website where you have stored your password & you press on the fingerprint reader, it automatically enters the stored details into the required fields & presses the submit button. You cannot have different passwords per finger

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fletch wrote:
    To be honest I don't want to go down the road of contacting the network admins etc.... I work for a company with very strict security policies & I would need to be damned important(which I am not) before any leeway would be given.
    TBH the more important a person is the less leeway they should be given on passwords !

Surely there should be some way of modifying the stored password
    No....thats not the way the device works. When you go on to a website where you have stored your password & you press on the fingerprint reader, it automatically enters the stored details into the required fields & presses the submit button. You cannot have different passwords per finger
    That's all down to the application that stores the passwords, if it turns out that you can't change the PW then I'd just have to laugh at microsoft not for shooting themselves in the foot again but for trying to imply they have an inkling of security that wasn't learnt the hard way. OK it's almost certainly an OEM product, (logitech ??) maybe track down oem drivers, or use a third party app to store the passwords which you can change and then use the finger to supply the password to that app.

Not a lot of use but you could setup different profiles for different users (fingers) and then use the RUNAS command - but that's just stupid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement