Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling and moving after only two years in a place

Options
  • 22-07-2005 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

We bought our house (2 bed mid terrace in Crumlin), two years ago for 240,000. It's in walk-in condition, has an extension, nice mature back garden etc. etc.

The stamp duty changes means all these places have shot up to 317,500 at a minimum, and many are now going for more - 330 to 335k seems not uncommon.

Although we really like the house, there are plenty of unsavoury heads up the road and our neighbour got his place on the council waiting list and has three kids who are currently little ****bags and are going to be nightmares when they actually hit their teenage years, I imagine.

As we'd prefer not to be here then, we put the place on the market. There's 215 left on the mortgage and the bank will give us a bigger mortgage now then they would then, so we could go to about 410k - what we're thinking of doing is buying a 3 bed semi in Lucan for around 330-340k. This would mean a similar mortgage etc. to what we have now and it's basically a tradeoff between a bigger house in a nicer area (plus only having a neighbour on one side) versus the distance out of town.

It's really a quality of life decision (notwithstanding the fact we could get some bastard living next to us in Lucan, we know that), but is this coming under the idea of 'trading up' or is it a bad idea to sell a house and buy another for the same price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

If its a quality of life decision and you can afford it, I'd say go for it. From experiance your house will probably start becoming a noose around your neck and you won't be happy. If you can't drive into your gate at night without thinking about who's hanging around, can I let the kids out on the road etc. its time to move on. Just don't go into to much debt for it as money problems bring their own worries too.

Advertisement