Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brits colonise philosophy

• 22-07-2005 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

In the London Times a few weeks ago:
    Karl Marx takes lead in BBC poll of philosophers
    Richard Brooks, Arts Editor

Ludwig Wittgenstein, the British philosopher who was born in Austria,
    is lying second after almost a fortnight of voting.

To the best of my knowledge, he was Austrian. He worked in Cambridge, and was influential in the development of ordinary language philosophy, along with Gilbert Ryle. He hated British academic life for its bullsh*t.

Kind of like Britain claiming Joyce, no?

Anyway, this brings me on to something I've been meaning to post for a while. Does anyone want to discuss Wittgenstein - any period of his work, Tractatus or Investigations or whatever.

I'm particularly interested in discussing the Investigations, but I don't understand the Tractatus very much, so does anyone know enough to discuss any aspect(s) of Wittgenstein's philosophy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

To answer your question simply, no I don't know anything about Wittgenstein.

I was just interested in the term "ordinary language philosophy"
    what exactly does this mean?

sorry to stray away from the main topic I was just interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Its been a while since I read it but I remember finding it very difficult. Have you checked out the wikipedia article on it? I'll have another go at it soon if I can find my copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I got a copy of the Investigations today - had a brief look through and it looks rather fascinating. Seems to cover an awful lot of topics too. Will start reading it soon.

There is also a copy of the Tractatus where I am now but the Investigations seem more interesting to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement